anttotarella

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Hey, I was just wondering something since I'm soon about to buy a new 585W power supply for my IBM PC. It has a 24 pin connector and the power supply that I'm going to buy has a 20 + 4 pin connector. Now what about the CPU, I know that my current CPU has a 4 pin plug going next to it but the specs on the power supply mention no connector going to it. It does however mention 2 12+V rails. Here is what I want to buy.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339009

If you could please help me out. Thanks

Solution
WHOA! There seems to be a misunderstanding.

Modern atx power supplies can be installed with the large 120mm case fans either on top or bottom depending on placement. If you are going to install the power supply in the top of the case, then the fan should be on the bottom of the psu. It's perfectly okay to do that. The psu will pull in the warm air exhaust it out the rear of the case. That is the correct psu fan orientation for top mounted psu's.
First, this is a really cheap, obsolete PSU. You can tell by the 38 amp 5 volt rail.

Second, I checked both newegg and the manufacturer's website and I saw no mention of a CPU power cable in the tech description and none in any of the pictures.

Third, I recommend getting a better PSU. I like Corsair and Antec (all but the Basiq line).

anttotarella

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

Noise. A large fan, turning slowly, can move the same amount of air as a small fan turning more rapidly. And do it more quietly.

anttotarella

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
So then this is okay right? Since all I need this switch from a 310W power supply is because I'm changing my graphics card from a Radeon X1650 to a HD5750

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

Also, what I mean't by the fan on the top was that my computer wouldn't benefit from it because the power supply does not go at the bottom on my PC. It goes at the top so it wouldn't be sucking nearly as much air as the power supply that's already in my PC.

WHOA! There seems to be a misunderstanding.

Modern atx power supplies can be installed with the large 120mm case fans either on top or bottom depending on placement. If you are going to install the power supply in the top of the case, then the fan should be on the bottom of the psu. It's perfectly okay to do that. The psu will pull in the warm air exhaust it out the rear of the case. That is the correct psu fan orientation for top mounted psu's.

Solution

xupaguy

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
if its at the top, the orientation of the psu will suit the case, as itll need to suck directly from the case, and not from the top, which will be closed. depending on the cpu youre using, you might want to up the wattage of the psu, to a 600~650!

hope this helps

anttotarella

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Alright, thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to go with that Antec earthwatts 500W power supply. Also, my PC isn't a tower. It's one of those desktops that go underneath a monitor but is much wider than that so a power supply with a fan pulling air from underneath or from the top wouldn't help since theres nothing on top or underneath, i really need one with a fan pulling heat from the back which is what that antec one does.

TRENDING THREADS