Metroid Movie In Time For Cube2 Hype

Last response: in Video Games
April 7, 2004 2:16:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

John Woo plans Metroid movie for Christmas 2005
Tom Bramwell 15:21 07/04/2004
The famous action director recognises Metroid's Prime franchise potential

Samus Aran's adventures could appear on the big screen by the end of next
year, following celebrated action director John Woo's decision to option the
rights to the Metroid franchise.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Woo plans to co-produce the movie and
also has the option to direct. "This type of story has a proven track record
of success with film audiences," he said, the scent of a franchise prancing
around his nostrils.

Last January, Warren Zide and Craig Perry first optioned the Metroid movie,
but, having allowed the rights to expire six months later, Samus' hopes of a
big screen confrontation with the Mother Brain seemed to be dwindling. By
the sound of it though, Woo and his team are very serious about going the
whole way.

"Everyone involved is looking at this as a big-budget picture," Brad
Foxhoven, who shares production duties with Terence Chang, told the
Reporter. "We see a tremendous opportunity to launch a film franchise with
Nintendo as a partner."

Judging by Woo's comments, this is no mere cash-in either, and although it
will doubtless draw inspiration from Metroid Prime (and this year's sequel),
that's by no means the extent of the movie's reach. "We are very fortunate
that there is such an extensive amount of material to draw upon for the film
due to there being so many iterations of the game over the years," Woo told
the Reporter. The movie will apparently focus on the origins of Samus Aran,
and her adventures battling Metroids and the Mother Brain.

Foxhoven said the plan is to have the movie out before 2006, which, in
gaming terms, is roughly when we expect N5 hype to go into overdrive.
Whether Nintendo will be aiming to get a Metroid title ready for the same
time period is difficult to say, but we do know that Metroid Prime 2 will be
unveiled at E3 next month, and should be out in the States by the end of the
year according to a recent Nintendo of America release schedule. Closer to
home, sort-of-remake title Metroid: Zero Mission is due out on the GBA in
Europe this Friday, April 9th.
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 2:51:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

Sounds very cool - and this could possibly be the best way to market
Nintendo, and if N5 hype "is" in overdrive by then, well, I think Nintendo
could be on the up.

"You've seen the movie, now experience the game!" :-)

Kev

"EDF" <edfgrey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> John Woo plans Metroid movie for Christmas 2005
> Tom Bramwell 15:21 07/04/2004
> The famous action director recognises Metroid's Prime franchise potential
>

> Samus Aran's adventures could appear on the big screen by the end of next
> year, following celebrated action director John Woo's decision to option
the
> rights to the Metroid franchise.
>
> According to The Hollywood Reporter, Woo plans to co-produce the movie and
> also has the option to direct. "This type of story has a proven track
record
> of success with film audiences," he said, the scent of a franchise
prancing
> around his nostrils.
>
> Last January, Warren Zide and Craig Perry first optioned the Metroid
movie,
> but, having allowed the rights to expire six months later, Samus' hopes of
> big screen confrontation with the Mother Brain seemed to be dwindling. By
> the sound of it though, Woo and his team are very serious about going the
> whole way.
>
> "Everyone involved is looking at this as a big-budget picture," Brad
> Foxhoven, who shares production duties with Terence Chang, told the
> Reporter. "We see a tremendous opportunity to launch a film franchise with
> Nintendo as a partner."
>
> Judging by Woo's comments, this is no mere cash-in either, and although it
> will doubtless draw inspiration from Metroid Prime (and this year's
sequel),
> that's by no means the extent of the movie's reach. "We are very fortunate
> that there is such an extensive amount of material to draw upon for the
film
> due to there being so many iterations of the game over the years," Woo
told
> the Reporter. The movie will apparently focus on the origins of Samus
Aran,
> and her adventures battling Metroids and the Mother Brain.
>
> Foxhoven said the plan is to have the movie out before 2006, which, in
> gaming terms, is roughly when we expect N5 hype to go into overdrive.
> Whether Nintendo will be aiming to get a Metroid title ready for the same
> time period is difficult to say, but we do know that Metroid Prime 2 will
be
> unveiled at E3 next month, and should be out in the States by the end of
the
> year according to a recent Nintendo of America release schedule. Closer to
> home, sort-of-remake title Metroid: Zero Mission is due out on the GBA in
> Europe this Friday, April 9th.

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 6:20:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube (More info?)

["Mantorok"; Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:51:08 GMT]

> "You've seen the movie, now experience the game!" :-)

Heh heh. Yeah. And since the games actually preceded the film(s) -- and
weren't made \because\ of them -- they're good games, unlike so many
movie-inspired games. But Nintendo will need to adopt a less kiddy image
than the one they have now if they want mass-market appeal.
--
J44xm
!