XFX ATI Radeon HD 5570 Question

kieshon

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
So I was playing World of Warcraft and I noticed that I can only set my graphics setting to fair and I am using the ATI Radeon HD 5570 graphics card but in this video I was watching this guy had the HD 4830 and he was running WoW at high settings and he could even go higher then that. This video that I saw the guy was also playing in the Wrath of the Lich King expansion but now we are in the Cataclysm expansion. He was also getting high FPS and when I play on WoW I only can get up to fair like I said and only get 60FPS in Ironforge but like 15 in Stormwind. Here are my computer specs:

Maxtor 500GB HDD
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5570 Graphics Card
AMD Anthlon(tm) 64 3200+ @ 2.00GHz
500W PSU
ASUS A8V-E SE Motherboard
2GB RAM

Also, could someone tell/show me how to overclock my CPU as well as my Graphics Card? Im pretty sure my CPU can go higher then 2.00GHz.

Thanks
~Kieshon

kieshon

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

If I took the AMD Anthlon 64 X2 and replaced my CPU right now how would that work out?

you have a socket 939 cpu, to get a dual core you would have to go ebay. If your paying less than $50 for a 2.6ghz x2 then it may be worth a shot for a small performance boost. If i were you i wouldn't waste my money upgrading your current setup. I would go for a motherboard upgrade to an AM3 board, DDR3 and an athlon x4 cpu, even one of the newer athlon x2's are much faster than your old athlon per clock.

kieshon

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

Could someone maybe look through newegg.ca and find me a motherboard and CPU that is better than what I have but matches my specs above?

Just for reference information about ATI cards....

Your card is the HD 5570.

- The 5xxx denotes the generation. For simplicity we'll just call it the "5th generation", it's actually further along than that.

-The x5xx tells you it's performance class level in that generation. The x5xx means it is "budget" low performance card. The x4xx is an entry level card that is even weaker. x6xx means mainstream or average performance. x7xx would means better performance. x8xx means high performance. Lastly x9xx is in the premium performance range.

- The xx70 tells you the performance in comparison with other cards in it's class. The higher the better performance.

In other words, your HD 5570 is a "5th generation" ATI Radeon card which is a budget card and will give you "ok" performance. It is also faster than the the HD 5550.

The HD 4830 is a "4th generation" ATI Radeon card in the "high performance" class, but it is the weakest in that class since there are also the HD 4850, 4870, and 4890.

The HD 5570 is roughly the equivalent to the Hd 4670; perhaps a bit slower, but faster than the HD 4650.

AMD/ATI slightly changed the naming convention with the HD 6xxx series, but I'll leave that out since it complicates things a bit and you don't have a HD 6xxx card anyway.

kieshon

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

Could you maybe find me a motherboard and CPU from newegg.ca or tigerdirect.ca that has a budget of $100 on both and matches my specs above but is better than what I currently have?