PC won't start after replacing electrical outlet

spartan92

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Hi there and happy post-Thanksgiving everyone. I'm hoping to get some help in troubleshooting why my PC won't start.

I recently had some electrical problems recently where I had to replace a GFCI outlet that was powering the room where my PC is. The outlet has been properly replaced, and I have power to everything else in the room. Unfortunately, the PC itself is not starting. I'm unsure whether my power supply is dead or if it's some other issue.

Is there a way to check whether my power supply still works? Would there be any other reason why a PC would simply not be getting power? I have checked all the physical connections inside and everything looks ok.

Appreciate any help.

zehpavora

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

Hello spartan92,

Have you tried any other outlet in the house? If so, do you have any other PSU to test? You could also test something else on the computer's outlet.

Hope this helps.

spartan92

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
Yes, the outlet that the computer plugs into works fine. It was plugged in to a Belkin surge protector and everything else plugged into the surge protector (monitor, digital camera, speaker system etc) is getting power and working fine.

Don't have another PSU to test, so I will likely have to buy a new one. My guess is that the PSU is the issue. Thanks

zehpavora

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
That's my guess, too.
Anyway, have you changed outlets in the surge protector? Who knows, maybe it is that. Never forget that any detail is part of the problem...

Also, don't forget to test other outlets.