Everything powers up, but no boot

Hello,

The other day I got the bright idea to "clean" the hardware of my system. The year and a half of dust collection was starting to bother me I guess. Let me begin by saying across the year and half since I built my PC I've had no problems whatsoever, it was working flawlessly before I turned it off to clean yesterday.

I basically disassembled and reassembled my entire build. When I powered it back on hours later...no boot screen, but everything seems to be powered up. I tried everything I could think of and then went through the "PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems!" Still nothing...

I proceeded to try my friends motherboard. I used my CPU, GPU, PSU, and HDD (My RAM isn't compatible with his board). Instantly booted right up to my login screen.

Therefore I'm lost at this point, my RAM could still be the issue but the RAM only left my motherboard for 1 minute tops when I blew off the dust and replaced it. The motherboard is my only other guess but it definitely isn't completely dead because it powers up my fans and the machine does turn on. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about everything powers boot
  1. tylerrosene said:
    Hello,

The other day I got the bright idea to "clean" the hardware of my system. The year and a half of dust collection was starting to bother me I guess. Let me begin by saying across the year and half since I built my PC I've had no problems whatsoever, it was working flawlessly before I turned it off to clean yesterday.

I basically disassembled and reassembled my entire build. When I powered it back on hours later...no boot screen, but everything seems to be powered up. I tried everything I could think of and then went through the "PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems!" Still nothing...

I proceeded to try my friends motherboard. I used my CPU, GPU, PSU, and HDD (My RAM isn't compatible with his board). Instantly booted right up to my login screen.

Therefore I'm lost at this point, my RAM could still be the issue but the RAM only left my motherboard for 1 minute tops when I blew off the dust and replaced it. The motherboard is my only other guess but it definitely isn't completely dead because it powers up my fans and the machine does turn on. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I had a similar issue recently. Basically, I found that if I swapped the order of the RAM in my computer (with 4 sticks it took a while to find the right order) I was ok and the ram seemed to work fine. I know it sounds a bit black magic-y but it did work. I still haven't figured out what the real problem was.
  2. Well after countless hours I finally got it to boot. I used the "breadboard" technique that I found in another thread and according to that all of my components were working correctly. I took everything out, put my motherboard in its antistatic bag for a while and then reassembled everything...viola! the system booted.
  3. I was gonna recommend:

1. Making sure your CPU power cable was lugged in.

2. Making sure RAM was in right slots

3. Clearing CMOS and unplugging for 20 minutes....

Looks like 3 worked :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Boot Systems