No image after CPU swith.

StuartB29

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Just swapped my Pentium D with a Core2duo and now I get no picture, no matter which processor is installed.

Any ideas?

StuartB29

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
CPU is compatible, I checked on AsRocks site, GFX card is in place and I have tried it without it. Is there any way to narrow down whether it is the CPU or the GFX that is causing the problem?

StuartB29

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Tried the old processor, no luck. Tried 3 cpu's which are all compatible with my MOBO and none work. I'm pretty sure the MOBO is fine because fans and hard drives spin fine.

There might be a Bios reset on the board. Which can restore the Bios to native configuration. This most likely is a jumper change. Once that happens put the Intel® Pentium® D in and run CPU-ID on it and come back and give us the information as to what the board is and we can go from there.

Even if your board does support the cpu you bought, you would have to do a bios update using the old cpu, before installing the new cpu.

Since your too stubborn to tell us what C2D you purchased, nobody can really help you.

CPU-ID is a freeware program that you can run on your system that will give a list of the components within your system including the stepping on processor and the motherboard and what chipset it has. CPU-ID is a free for download and is well tested application for helping you find out information about your system.

Conroe is the pre production name for the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor, 1333 would be the FSB that the Conroe could support and d667 is the memory that would have been supported with an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor with a FSB of 1333.

So just off the top of my head this seems to be where the is, while it is possible that one of the OEMs may have upgraded a 945, 955 or 965 chipset based board to support a Intel Core 2 Duo with an FSB of 1333, I would be a little shocked if they did. And the 3 and 4 chipset series boards that did support the Intel Core 2 Duo with an FSB of 1333 don’t support the Intel Pentium D processors.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

StuartB29

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Right okay, i've identified that I have an Allendale CPU, do I really need a new MOBO? Surely if the MOBO was damaged then none of the fans, hard drives etc would work?

The fans, hard drives etc running just lets us know that the board is getting power and that there is a processor in it. If you put a processor in that due to increase voltage fired connect to the PCI-E 16x slot the board or the onboard graphics it would still get power but wouldn’t allow any video signal out.

The reason to reset the Bios is hoping that the board isnt fired but there was some change to the bios that is causing the problem.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusaist Team

That is what I am thinking/hoping if we can reset the Bios with the old CPU we can get it up and running. Most of the time when I have talked to people who have put a processor in that isn't supported it doesn't boot and may not post, but in this case who knows how the board might have reacted.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team