Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti loud noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

samd89

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Hi everyone,

My gtx560 is making a loud buzzing noise during load that is audible over every other component (incl. gpu fans at max) and with the case all close up. i had the same problem with a 6950 which i had replaced due to how anoying it was, hoping it would be alot quieter. I was told this was normal but after doing some research and listening to other gtx560 sound tests they do not have the same problem, the loudest thing you can hear is the fan.

My specs are:

amd x4 640
asus m4a88td-m evo
2x2gb kingston ddr3-1600
seagate 500gb hdd
Gigabyte gtx560 ti
corsair hx650 psu
antex p180 mini
win7 64-bit

it is definately not coming from my psu/mobo/hdd like some other threads on similar problems have suggested because i have tested with other hardware. im probably being over pedantic put you can hear it over audio volume and it is quite distracting considering this is a fairly quite pc.

Here is a sample i took with the case open about 4 inches away from the gpu and running furmark so you can hear the sound properly. It sounds the same with the case closed/game volume on about 0.5m away. At the end you can here when i close furmark and the noise stops, fans still running at max are alot quieter:

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=l9INfu

As i have already replaced a card over this problem i only want to take it back to the store as a last resort if this is kind of sound is not normal, otherwise i will have to live with it :)

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just to be sure both the 560 and the 6950 did the same thing? If you remove the GPU altogether and use the integrated video, is the sound still present?

Given 2 completely different GPUs had the same problem, I would suspect some other component, like the PSU in particular. If the PSU is acting up and operting near its capacity, it could be causing the problem. Do you have another suitable PSU that you could swap to check it out?

samd89

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
thanks for the reply. yes i have tested with an antec truepower new 550w and still have the same problem, but form what ive read they shoyld both have more than enough power?. thanks.

samd89

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
ok i have tried it but still no differnece. as i said before, if i quit furmark but the fans are still going 100% the other sound disapears as there is no load on the gpu.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
OK, 2 PSUs, 2 very different PSUs. A "silent" rig when using the integrated GPU.

From listening to your sound sample, it has to be something moving in your system. Have you checked all of your fans?

We are left with coil whine and the vagaries of making it go away....

samd89

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
ive had a good look at all the fans/around the gpu and there is nothing coming into contact or movement bside the fans. i have an old hd4850 lying around ill give that a test later today.

samd89

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
alright i have tried my 4850 and the only noise it makes is from the fan, if i stop it its completely silent. so it has to be a problem with this card.

though like you said it seems unlikely 2 different gpu's/vendors would have the same problem, maybe i just got unlucky?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Msybe, but since the 2 GPUs in question are pretty robust and draw a bit of power, it is "possible" that the combo of your mobo, GPU(s),and PSU are creating the conditions to cause the sound.

Since you swapped PSUs and it made no difference and since swapping GPUs made no difference, the common part in question is the mobo. How hot to the touch is the Northbridge heatsink getting? Can you touch it without burning yourself while the system is running?

samd89

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
yeah its pretty hot but i can hold my finger there without gettng burnt. I have also tried with another motherboard (gigabyte p35-ds3l) and i get the same problem :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It may be time for an exorcism rather than anything else!

So which GPU(s) do you currently have? The 560 or the 6950? Also, can you exchange for another of the same model?

To be honest, you have some random issue popping up or a combo of issues. Seems like you have swapped everything but the case. One could theorize that the case you are using has some sort of vibration resonance going on generated as a result of the GPU fan, but that is a reach.

BTW, is there any chance that your rear exhaust fan is mounted backwards? It should be sucking hot air out of the case and exhausting it out the rear of the case. If it were blowing in, it could be creating a conflict with the GPU fan (I am reaching here, I know).

Other than these things, given that you swapped the guts out, more or less, and have the same problem, I am at a total loss.

samd89

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
haha yeah. Well i have actually used another case when i tried a different mobo. And yes the rear exhaust fan is blowing air out of the case. Might have to take it in to the store see if they can figure it out.

But thanks for taking the time to help me out i really appreciate it :D

gribs

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

The Asus 560 Ti fan on a system I made is so loud under load that I really cant imagine using one myself. There is no doubt in my mind that it is the culprit. Under load, I watch it's fans speeds raise over 2300rpm. By then, the once faint fan sound has grown intolerable.

I've been looking around to see if this is normal. I'd prefer return the card for the person if this sound is not usually experianced at higher GPU fan speeds.
Who made the 560Ti that you are using samd89? For example, EVGA, ASUS, etc.

And to add to the convo, the 6980 was listed as loud, so is it fair to consider that both 560ti and 6980 are both cards with extremely loud fans in samd's quiet case? see the noise level for 6980 -> http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=641&card2=638

samd89

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
had it replaced for evga version. turns out it was coil whine, very evident after running F@H makes an extremely high pitched squeel. Apparently its a known issue with Gigabyte 560ti's and after retailer called them they said i could either get a refund or replace it, without having to RMA.

gribs

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

I'm glad you mentioned that, I have an ASUS Formula IV. I'll check to see if it's possible that this EPU feature is causing the drastic increase in fan noise (and speed). If I was running a game of Starcraft 2 maxed, my fans shouldn't jump way over 2000, and I hope thats what is making the straining noise. Although I'd hate to turn EPU off it's worth a try.

Does anyone know what must be done to the EPU? I'm having trouble finding this thread.

samd89

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

thanks for your help but i have said a number of times its not the fan, it is coil whine. replacing the gigabyte version for evga solved the loud buzz i get during load. though it still whines under certain conditions like evga oc burner, when exiting unigine heaven and running F@H gpu client but noticeably quieter than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.