Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gameboy SP from USA in UK

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 12:34:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Has anyone bought a Gameboy SP in the USA for use in the UK? Things I'm
concerned about:

* Transformer not working with UK voltages
* System specification differences

All advice much appreciated.

Thanks.


Chris.

More about : gameboy usa

Anonymous
April 8, 2004 2:24:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Chris Trueman wrote:
> Has anyone bought a Gameboy SP in the USA for use in the UK? Things I'm
> concerned about:
>
> * Transformer not working with UK voltages
> * System specification differences
>
> All advice much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> Chris.

Yes, me.

You will either need to buy a US->UK power converter (not just a plug converter,
your GBA *wont* like taking 240v, as the US use 120v). Alternatively you could
buy a UK GBA power adapter from somewhere like Game, or GameStation. Although I
have not tested this method, it shouldn't be a problem. (I have a US power
converter, as I also have a US GCN). It may be worth while getting your hands on
a UK SP and compare the power supply rating on the bottom of the unit to those
on a US SP, so see if they match (which I highly imagine they do).

GameBoys are not regionalised. I've only bought UK GBA games, and they all work
in my US SP (even my old GB games).

Just FYI, dvdboxoffice.com do free shipping to the UK, if you're interested in
buying online.

--
Vitani

To email me, reverse the email with this post.
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 2:24:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Thanks for the advice. Could you tell me where you bought your US power
--> UK power transformer pack from?

Chris.

> You will either need to buy a US->UK power converter (not just a plug
> converter, your GBA *wont* like taking 240v, as the US use 120v).
> Alternatively you could buy a UK GBA power adapter from somewhere like
> Game, or GameStation. Although I have not tested this method, it
> shouldn't be a problem. (I have a US power converter, as I also have a
> US GCN). It may be worth while getting your hands on a UK SP and
> compare the power supply rating on the bottom of the unit to those on
> a US SP, so see if they match (which I highly imagine they do).
Related resources
April 8, 2004 2:54:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:24:54 +0100, Vitani <moc.tfosxft@inativ> wrote:

>Chris Trueman wrote:
>> Has anyone bought a Gameboy SP in the USA for use in the UK? Things I'm
>> concerned about:
>>
>> * Transformer not working with UK voltages
>> * System specification differences
>>
>> All advice much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>> Chris.
>
>Yes, me.
>
>You will either need to buy a US->UK power converter (not just a plug converter,
>your GBA *wont* like taking 240v, as the US use 120v). Alternatively you could
>buy a UK GBA power adapter from somewhere like Game, or GameStation. Although I
>have not tested this method, it shouldn't be a problem. (I have a US power
>converter, as I also have a US GCN). It may be worth while getting your hands on
>a UK SP and compare the power supply rating on the bottom of the unit to those
>on a US SP, so see if they match (which I highly imagine they do).
>
>GameBoys are not regionalised. I've only bought UK GBA games, and they all work
>in my US SP (even my old GB games).
>
>Just FYI, dvdboxoffice.com do free shipping to the UK, if you're interested in
>buying online.

Hi

I bought a brand new boxed GBA from the US via E-Bay, I bought it last
month for a total of $80 (about £42 at the time) this included
shipping, I did not get stung for customs. I bought a UK power supply
online from Gamesplanet for £4.99 which included delivery, everything
works great, no problems with any games as GBA is not Region Encoded.

Morbius
http://www.morbius.co.uk
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 2:54:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Thanks James. Sounds straight forward to me.


Chris.

> I bought a brand new boxed GBA from the US via E-Bay, I bought it last
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 1:25:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

In article <a68a701nqii0ca9a933lodl5djpea3om80@4ax.com>,
jamezgb@yahoo.co.uk wrote:


>
> Hi
>
> I bought a brand new boxed GBA from the US via E-Bay, I bought it last
> month for a total of $80 (about £42 at the time) this included
> shipping, I did not get stung for customs. I bought a UK power supply
> online from Gamesplanet for £4.99 which included delivery, everything
> works great, no problems with any games as GBA is not Region Encoded.
>
> Morbius
> http://www.morbius.co.uk

But the question is in regards to the GBA SP, which has a power
supply/battery charger, which is rather regionalized for the correct
power. The GBA SP itself is not regionalized.

You mentioned specifically a GBA, although you may have meant a GBA SP

--
The Deadbeats' Hall of Lame: http://www.studio42.com/kill-the-spam/
Where spammers are exposed for the deadbeats they truly are.
California Resident says: We've upped our standards, so now UP YOURS!
Don't respond to this address. It's invalid and I own the domain.
!