Akihiko

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
good day everyone here,

i just would like to ask something regarding the IGP of my new mobo
Asrock 890GX Extreme3

yesterday,i checked the specs of the IGP using GPU-Z
my PC is running under Windows XP SP3 32bit,and it shows that the Memory Size is 700 MBytes which is the actual size for the IGP.

then i reformatted my PC and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit,i installed everything including the Graphics Driver and updated it. then when i checked the specs of my IGP,the Memory Size now only shows 384 MBytes in which it has so much difference from what it used to be a 700 MBytes Memory Size.

i didnt touch anything in the bios,i checked the bios and the IGP is set at UMA+Sideport Memory and Shared Memory is in Auto which is the default settings just like what my settings used to be when im still using Windows XP.

is that normal or alright? did i miss something? or did something wrong?

hbeham

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Something must have gone terribly wrong in their design then. I have an MSI 890GXM-G65 board with an onboard HD4290 and 8GB system RAM. Even with a BIOS setting of "Sideport Only" Windows/Catalyst allocates 2.9GB of RAM to the GPU.
I remember the days playing Quake3 with an nVidea Riva128 chip with 4MB ...

AstroTC

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
8gb of RAM and a 32-bit OS.... < Fix that
RAM doesnt directly affect the performance of the GPU it depends on your screen resolution and Quake 3 is a pretty old game so dnt be surprised if it gives you trouble