Sign in with
Your question

Itt: everything goes wrong

Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2011 5:41:15 PM

Hey guys, I've been having some major system issues lately, it's all been kinda building up and overwhelming me at this point, it seems like every week something happens to make things worse.

1. One day I opened Windows Update because I hadn't updated in like four months and I heard there was a service pack out. So, I updated the machine, and checked some optional updates also. Apparently, that wasn't a good idea, because, well, upon next restart, I was rewarded with a BSoD. Later I learned that drivers from Windows update can sometimes screw up your machine; those 'in the know' always suggest avoiding those optional updates, in favor of downloading them straight from the OEM. So, just a word of caution: they may be convenient, but it comes at a price! I already fixed this by saving some files from my drive and reinstalling Windows. I think there are other fixes for this, but I was at my wit's end with the issue, as Windows had no decent facility for fixing itself. So, no issue here any longer, other than having to reinstall everything.

2. After I reinstalled my OS, I figured I'd update my motherboard BIOS. I did so through this utility built into my motherboard, it was really cool. I was told to reset my BIOS settings, however. Doing so set my hard drive mode to AHCI instead of RAID, thus separating my drives. This was bad. Now two of my drives aren't being seen as part of the RAID. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just one drive, but two? Christ... What can I do to get the two other drives back to being seen by the RAID again? Or am I SOL?

3. I wanted to make use of the USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard that have been dysfunctional ever since I got it due to lack of driver support inside of vanilla Windows. This actually goes back to point 1, in that this was the packaged WHQL-approved optional update that caused the BSOD that was the culprit. Regardless, I hid that update and instead got it straight from ASUS. I installed the driver and updated the firmware. I plugged in my USB 3.0 drive, supposedly got some good speeds (I've seen 60MB/s from this, kinda nice), and proceeded to transfer some files. Unfortunately, the drive always unmounts itself during the transfer. hard drive, why u no transfer files???

4. I updated my USB 3.0 firmware to see if this might help, but it turns out, this might not have been so great. When unplugging my USB 3.0 external, the Ethernet LAN port on the same motherboard component stopped working also. Now I'm really effed. What can I do!?

5. I'm also trying to set up that 1TB 2.5" drive I bought so I can, you know, keep files on it, and use it between my Mac, Linux, and Windows setups. I'm told I can either use exFAT or NTFS, so I chose NTFS. I formatted it on Linux in gparted, but for some reason it's not even reading it on OS X. I have a feeling it's only going to work if I have Windows format it. OS X can write to a properly formatted NTFS partition by now, right?

Anyway, I appreciate any help you folks might be able to give.

More about : itt wrong

April 23, 2011 8:02:46 PM

Just wanted to add an illustration of my current setup for #2:

Also, I neglected to provide a few details:
My motherboard is a P7H57D-V EVO and I run Windows 7 64-bit.

I was hoping to resolve #4 with the help of some drivers from ASUS' website, but I had no such luck. The ethernet adapter used to blink when I plugged in the cable (the blinking didn't look like normal LAN activity, more like an error message of sorts), but now it doesn't blink at all when a cable is plugged in. The USB 3.0 ports on the same component on the motherboard work fine, sorta.

As to point #3, it's nearly impossible to copy any large amount of files from this USB 3.0 drive in Windows or Linux. The drive doesn't mount when put into my USB 2.0 ports for some reason...
m
l
Related resources
!