Monitor suddenly turns off

tnemanja87

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Hello,
i have a problem with my display (as thread name says).
When i turn my PC on, sometimes my monitor just turns off, and after few secs pc restarts.
This only happens when windows loads, and if it passes this part, it's all ok after.

Anyway, i changed GPUs with my friend, and the same continues happening to him, but it is now all ok at my PC with HIS graphic card.

So, my question would be :
can it really be graphic card failure,cuz it works fine after windows loads (if loaded successfully),so its kinda weird...

-ASUS nVidia GTX 470

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You have either a GPU (video card) or a PSU (power supply) issue. Likely, if the PSUs in both systems are okay, then the 470 is defective since you have seen on 2 machines. BTW, what GPU did you swap into your system?

Dogsnake

Distinguished
It does not sound like your monitor is turning off. Your PC is failing to boot through the windows load. From what you describe it could be a driver issue or a hardware issue. However the fact that a card swap (are the cards the same?) fixes the issue sure points to a bad card. Take your card back and try it again, if the problem returns then it is pretty certain it is the card. Inspect the contacts on the card. If there are any spots that look dirty you can clean them by gently rubbing with a pencil eraser. Make sure the power connections are secure and snap in tight.

tnemanja87

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Hey,
thanks for fast answers.

@COLGeek
my friend's card is ASUS 8800GT

@DogSnake
contacts on my card seems ok,and i had the same theory about drivers.
First i had new 266.58 drivers,but now i'll try some older,maybe it will work.
So if the problem persists,it must be hardware failure.

Thanks again on your opinions, i will update new info when i test those old drivers.
Cheers!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

The 8800GT will put less stress on the PSU than the 470. Regardless, since the issue is also happening in your friend's rig, you likely need to return the 470. Good luck!