Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus m4a88t-m mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
April 4, 2012 9:52:40 AM

Could anyone tell me about the stability and/or reliability of the Asus M4A88T-M motherboard? Was thinking of pairing it with an AMD Phenom 2 HD905 CPU. Best RAM for it? Win XP Pro run well on it?

More about : asus m4a88t mobo

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 4, 2012 11:08:57 AM

I can't vouch for the board itself, as I've not used it for a lengthy duration. But I use ASUS for my personal systems and test lots of them for work with great success (yes, there are DOA/problem boards, but you get that with any brand).
So, I can vouch for ASUS, but not directly to this board for lengthy stability - but passed my company's internal validation testing.

CPU pair is correct according to ASUS QVL, and as for RAM, I'd stick with only 4GB if you're running XP. 2x2GB. Kingston, Crucial, Corsair would be my suggested mfg'ers. Each has a "memory finder" "configurator" on their website. But if you struggle, just reply and we can point you to a specific SKU.

XP would run fine (the OS is old, and this hardware is new - will be pretty fast), and fully supported with drivers by ASUS.
m
l
April 4, 2012 11:28:05 AM

psaus said:
I can't vouch for the board itself, as I've not used it for a lengthy duration. But I use ASUS for my personal systems and test lots of them for work with great success (yes, there are DOA/problem boards, but you get that with any brand).
So, I can vouch for ASUS, but not directly to this board for lengthy stability - but passed my company's internal validation testing.

CPU pair is correct according to ASUS QVL, and as for RAM, I'd stick with only 4GB if you're running XP. 2x2GB. Kingston, Crucial, Corsair would be my suggested mfg'ers. Each has a "memory finder" "configurator" on their website. But if you struggle, just reply and we can point you to a specific SKU.

XP would run fine (the OS is old, and this hardware is new - will be pretty fast), and fully supported with drivers by ASUS.

Thanks for the reply. I do have 2x2GB corsair so thats a good thing. I hear that DDR2 is also compatable with AM3 after a BIOS update? I'd prefer to use DDR3 but just happened to see that. I have an older Asus board (athlon 64x2) that seems to be dead and was looking to grab this board and CPU and complete a build. I'll see what happens with it.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 4, 2012 11:38:53 AM

Unfortunately DDR3 and DDR2 are physically different. There are boards that have both types of DIMM slots on them, but this board isn't one of them - this board only has DDR3 slots.
I'm not sure what your Corsair modules are, but based on the above post, I suspect they're DDR2. If that's true, unfortunately they will not work on this new board.
Fortunately though, RAM is cheap. :) 

Edit: in 15yrs of experience of DRAM testing, I've tested 100's of "dual" memory boards SIMM+DIMM, SDRAM+DDR, etc... AVOID AT ALL COSTS! They never work 100% right. Only felt the need to comment/complain on that because I referenced those combos above. :) 
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 4, 2012 12:08:34 PM

I can vouch for that board. my last Chipset was a M4A88td- evo with USB 3.0 ports in the back. its basically the same chipset. and the Board is superior for its time....Bestly board. Also if you get it with the AI Suite Bundled. Temp Monitoring and everything on this board. the BIOS is your old Keyboard standard. but its still easy

Solid board. ah could you send me a link. Then i could tell you if its exactly like mine....
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:59:28 PM

psaus said:
Unfortunately DDR3 and DDR2 are physically different. There are boards that have both types of DIMM slots on them, but this board isn't one of them - this board only has DDR3 slots.
I'm not sure what your Corsair modules are, but based on the above post, I suspect they're DDR2. If that's true, unfortunately they will not work on this new board.
Fortunately though, RAM is cheap. :) 

Edit: in 15yrs of experience of DRAM testing, I've tested 100's of "dual" memory boards SIMM+DIMM, SDRAM+DDR, etc... AVOID AT ALL COSTS! They never work 100% right. Only felt the need to comment/complain on that because I referenced those combos above. :) 

Thanks for that info and yes I do have 2 ddr 2 modules that I will just hang onto for anything else I might run into with that platform. Yes, RAM is cheap. I will pick up a couple of sticks of ddr3.
m
l
April 4, 2012 2:00:55 PM

Best answer selected by wolfsbane6.
m
l
April 4, 2012 2:03:05 PM

Rockdpm said:
I can vouch for that board. my last Chipset was a M4A88td- evo with USB 3.0 ports in the back. its basically the same chipset. and the Board is superior for its time....Bestly board. Also if you get it with the AI Suite Bundled. Temp Monitoring and everything on this board. the BIOS is your old Keyboard standard. but its still easy

Solid board. ah could you send me a link. Then i could tell you if its exactly like mine....

Sure, and thanks for the info.

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A88TM/
m
l
April 4, 2012 5:50:44 PM

I think I'm going to give this mobo a shot. Thank you guys for your help and comments.
m
l
!