Sign in with
Your question

How soon can i OC

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in CPUs
July 22, 2011 7:55:11 PM

I have just re seated my Cpu as i wanted to get temps down a little, and was wondering if anyone could tell me how long i should wait before overclocking. Do i need to give paste time to set or anything like that. Would appreciate any advice.

More about : question

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2011 8:32:53 PM

You can just OC now or whenever you want... Time does not matters even the Paste(AS-5) will make it decrease by 1-5*C lower...
July 22, 2011 9:05:33 PM

Really! well thats good i guess i will get on with it thanks.
Related resources
July 22, 2011 9:07:21 PM

Hey Dan... could have replied to this in the other thread... but you should be safe to OC now if you like. Do you have much experience with it? If not I would suggest reading some of the stickies in the OC section of the forums.

Also, I don't think you mentioned in the other thread.. what thermal paste are you using? JW.
July 22, 2011 9:29:46 PM

Hello, yeah i wasnt gonna overclock for a while but i thought why not, i have reseated cpu again today after the last thread.

I have never overclocked before as this is my first build. So im gonna go for it :0, hope it goes ok.
a c 487 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2011 10:40:53 PM

Just don't make any sudden large increases when you are OC'ing. Meaning do not jump directly to 4.0GHz or more. Since this is the 1st time you are OC'ing make it around 200MHz at a time until you get to 3.9GHz and then 100MHz from there on.

You want to check that your system is stable and your CPU does not get too hot. You can run something like Prime95 or play a game for a while and check your temps.
July 23, 2011 12:44:23 AM

Ok thanks thats good you told me that, cause i was gonna follow a bit tech OC guide and go straight for 4.5. Makes more sense to do it slowly.

So what do i do, follow overclock guidelines but with lower oc, and see if systems boots and runs prime, if so for how long etc. Sorry if seems silly question but its new to me.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2011 12:47:57 AM

It might be good to run something like Prime95 + CPUID Hardware Monitor for 15 minutes to watch temps. This establishes that you have seated the cooler correctly, and establishes a baseline temp reading for reference while OCing.

As pointed out above, you do not need to wait for paste to "cure" before stressing the system.
July 23, 2011 12:52:40 AM

Ok cool well i have been running prime for 6 hours and temps not above 55 so would you say all is well?
July 23, 2011 1:23:58 AM

Yea you can probably push it a little further.
July 23, 2011 3:14:33 AM

Push what a little further?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2011 7:23:54 AM

He meant you are "go" for OCing . . . you can push the cpu further.
July 23, 2011 11:43:08 AM

Oh ok, well i will give a go today and let you know what happens. I will follow your advice Twoboxer
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2011 4:37:00 PM

Since your a Beginner, This guide is perfect and useful for you!!! Helps you reach 4.8GHz!!!(It's Easier if you got a 2600k because this thread below uses a 2600k which makes 2600k user easier to do it than 2500k since 2500k don't have HTT but it's still the same if no HTT anyway...)
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...
July 23, 2011 4:40:37 PM

I just tried a guide on bit tech and the system wouldnt start up. I keep turning on and off untill eventually it come on. I was panicking. For some reson when i up the voltage, the vcore would not show any change.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2011 4:56:13 PM

dan2222 said:
I just tried a guide on bit tech and the system wouldnt start up. I keep turning on and off untill eventually it come on. I was panicking. For some reson when i up the voltage, the vcore would not show any change.

On the Vcore, i would reach at a maximum of 1.35v because anything above it will decrease it lifespin... Read it on the guide i gave you and it tells all about it... Also, I would recommend going straight to 4.6-4.8GHz on the Guide that i linked above because instead of you taking 24 hours just to get a 3.8GHz, you can double that and get 4.8GHz just in 2 hours... My i7-950 took me about 2 days because i kept messing up and plus my Heatsink is worthless(Not Stock Heatsink)
Here's the 4.9GHz guide:
Edit: You may need a little more voltage on stuff(Overclocking) and you may need a little less voltage on those stuff so if you get stable with the voltage Cluck put on, going a notch lower see if it's stable... Getting lower voltage is Good but higher voltage isn't good unless it's a notch or 2
July 23, 2011 5:01:33 PM

The bit tech guide actually says how to do it with my mobo (p67 ud4 b3 rev) and 2500k but for some reason it dont work, or i dont work lol
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2011 7:48:44 PM

dan2222 said:
The bit tech guide actually says how to do it with my mobo (p67 ud4 b3 rev) and 2500k but for some reason it dont work, or i dont work lol

What's your system specs? and list your BIOS Settings. I wont be able to help you tho but other people can, i got no experience with SB OC since i dont got one...
July 23, 2011 8:16:32 PM

i5 2500k
Gigabyte GTX 560
Gigabyte P67 UD4
Coolermaster Hyper 212
Samsung Spinpoint F3
Corsair 750watt Psu
Coolermaster CM 690 ii

Thats rig, and bios is at default settings now, the problem is when i try to up the voltage it does not register with vcore, it just stays at 1.240 what ever the default is
a c 487 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2011 8:53:45 PM

How high is your CPU currently overclocked to?

Also, every i5-2500K overclocks differently. Just because someone with an i5-2500k got it running stable at 4.5GHz does not automatically mean yours will also reach 4.5GHz.
July 23, 2011 9:28:08 PM

I havent overclocked it, everything is at stock and default settings. I have heard about the silicone lottery and am not fooling myself into thinking i can do anything other than what my chip is capable of.

My problem is that when following the bit tech oc guide, i can make all the changes that they suggest accept when i up voltage to 1.300v because i make the change press enter and the voltage does not move
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2011 9:57:51 PM

If you press Enter on the CPU voltage option, does it give you choices? Or is it just something where you have to type in the number? Remember that you need to save and exit for the changes to take effect.
July 23, 2011 10:04:42 PM

Yes i press enter and there is an endless list of numbers so i scroll down to desired setting, or i can just type in numbers, however when i press enter after making changes the voltage numbers on the left do not change. And i save and exit and i know some changes have worked because system has crashed, so i think all other changes are taking effect but voltage is remaing same.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2011 10:09:07 PM

The numbers on the left won't change until after you reboot successfully. If your system doesn't reboot successfully, that means it's resetting to defaults so you can get back into the BIOS. That's why the voltage doesn't change.

I suggest you try using 1.35v -- your CPU probably cannot do 4.5GHz on only 1.3v. You might even need a little more than 1.35v.
July 23, 2011 10:09:46 PM

Basically what im saying is that all other voltage settings i change seem to take effect and all other settings in general but with the vcore it just seems to be locked on 1.24. Is there a way i can upload a picture
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2011 12:17:45 AM

There is but IDK how XD... Reset everything and please follow the Link i gave you because it's like the best one or most helpful...
All CPU or Chip react differently so don't think you can reach 4.8GHz at 1.35v... You may need a little more or a little less... If your lucky, you get lower voltage at high speed but if not, you may get/need over 1.36v to get stable at 4.8GHz
Just follow the guide in the link i posted please, it probably better than the Bit-Tech(In my opinion so no argue about it please)...
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2011 12:29:15 AM

dan2222 said:
Basically what im saying is that all other voltage settings i change seem to take effect and all other settings in general but with the vcore it just seems to be locked on 1.24. Is there a way i can upload a picture

I understand that.

When you don't successfully boot after changing the settings, the system automatically reduces the CPU speed and voltage back to default so you can get into the BIOS to change the settings to values that will work. As I said before, try 1.35v and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, your system might just be one of the unlucky ones that can't do 4.5GHz -- we have a few on these forums that can't go higher than 4.2GHz.

Do you have the newest BIOS version for your board? If you don't, then download the newest one from Gigabyte's site and update it. That might help as well.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2011 12:36:00 AM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
I understand that.

When you don't successfully boot after changing the settings, the system automatically reduces the CPU speed and voltage back to default so you can get into the BIOS to change the settings to values that will work. As I said before, try 1.35v and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, your system might just be one of the unlucky ones that can't do 4.5GHz -- we have a few on these forums that can't go higher than 4.2GHz.

Do you have the newest BIOS version for your board? If you don't, then download the newest one from Gigabyte's site and update it. That might help as well.

When you update, reset the settings/OC because if it interfere with the Update, you'll be in a bad trouble..com
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2011 7:29:37 AM

LOL. To get an idea of how far your particular cpu can go, use the Asus mobo's auto-overclock function in BIOS. Let it run, see what *it* thinks works, and then use your PC for a bit at that setting to make sure it does run.

Then take a look at how it was done, and push further (if you care to), maybe try a lower voltage at the same freq, etc. on your own.
July 24, 2011 10:35:42 AM

Ok i managed to do it late last night. I got 4.7 on 1.35v and left prime running overnight. When i got up one core had stopped working after 6 hours the rest were all fine. The highest temp was 81 i average was 76. is this good or bad, i mean i know im gonna have to change something but for first go
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2011 2:11:01 PM

dan2222 said:
Ok i managed to do it late last night. I got 4.7 on 1.35v and left prime running overnight. When i got up one core had stopped working after 6 hours the rest were all fine. The highest temp was 81 i average was 76. is this good or bad, i mean i know im gonna have to change something but for first go

That's good but I was hoping you get 5GHz on 1.35v LOL... If you OC and got around the 80s your good because gaming/normal use dont ever exceed 80*C since it barely reaches and im sure it should be reaching 75*C either probably barely reaching 70s... I Dont know why one of your core stopped working but it probably throttle down? If you seriously wanna test to see if it's stable, test 14H+ with Prime because you never know when it'll occur when the OC fail... OR you can test with intel burn test with at least 40 runs...
July 24, 2011 2:17:55 PM

Ok cool will give that a go. one thing that is weird is the error i get is a rounding error and its always on the 3rd worker. What is a rounding error. It says 0.4 was expecting less than 0.4
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 24, 2011 6:16:13 PM

dan2222 said:
Ok cool will give that a go. one thing that is weird is the error i get is a rounding error and its always on the 3rd worker. What is a rounding error. It says 0.4 was expecting less than 0.4

Here's your answer!
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282809-28-prime95-rou...
Work on it a little more!!!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2011 12:17:09 AM

That error just means that the computer was expecting a specific answer from that worker, but it received a different answer. When Prime95 receives a wrong answer, the overclock isn't stable.

Remember, you should keep the CPU voltage less than 1.4v and the core temps below 75ºC. You have already gone past the temp, so you will either need to back the overclock down or get a better CPU cooler.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2011 12:23:28 AM

By the way, please don't post about the same subject in multiple threads. That just clutters up our forums. Thanks!

If you're not getting an answer quickly enough, go do something else and return in a few hours. Usually someone will have posted an answer by then. Weekends can be slow-response times.
July 25, 2011 12:29:06 AM

Ok didnt realise i did, thought i asked two different questions regarding similar topic areas, and was just responding to questions posed by members! But will avoid answering questions if similar topic is discussed in another thread.
!