Sign in with
Your question

New Mobo, Windows wont work as expected.

Last response: in Motherboards
April 4, 2012 2:23:52 PM

Hello there,

Yesterday I replaced my old motherboard, a Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3 for a Asus P8Z68-V/Gen3 board. When I went to boot my PC I was hit with an error message saying "CPU Fan Error", but I had realised I had it in a 3 pin socket, rather than 4. So that was easily solved. However, past that I came across another error, when the system was booting, it reached about the Windows Logo when it would just instantly restart.

I looked through the bios and reset everything to default, then I decided to reinstall Windows 7 (64bit Enterprise). Since I had already installed it on my Hard drive I just went ahead and tried to repair it. The same happened again, it kept restarting. So I installed it over the top of my previous one. I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do, but at least I can now get onto my desktop, etc.

The thing i'm worried about is that i've messed something up, or i'll need to format my HDD. As when i'm not booting windows, when I reach the Logo my fans start to run faster and I can hear an over-the-top amount of activity from my Hard drive... then the screen goes black, and takes a while to finally move onto the Desktop screen.

I have a 1TB Seagate ST1000DL002 Barracuda HDD. Could it be loading the information from my last motherboard and it's drivers? Or could I have made things worse by installing windows over the top of my last one?
If it boils down to it, i'm willing to format my HDD. But, to be honest, i've no idea how to. I've been looking at walkthroughs but there's so many ways around it, and I don't want to end up damaging anything.

Thanks in advance!
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2012 3:19:34 PM

you have to install a clean copy of windows
your hard drive has drivers for the old mobo
!