• Graphics Cards
  • DVI
  • Monitors
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2011 1:48:40 PM

I just bought a Radeon 6950 graphics card, installed it, but cannot use two monitors through the DVI ports and I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. The two monitors I have are; LG L227WTG as my main monitor and an Acer x223w as my secondary. At the moment, they are plugged in at the monitor end with the basic VGA cable that you got with the monitors, and connected to the 6950 with the VGA > DVI-I converter dealio that you get with video cards. The problem is, my main monitor will show up and run as usual when it's plugged in, but the second monitor won't even be recognized by my computer. The monitors also don't work when I unplug the first DVI port and plug them into the second port, meaning the only plugged into my graphics card is the one chord going to the second DVI slot.

Am I missing something here?
If I buy DVI-D chords will it work if I stop using the VGA + VGA to DVI adapters?
If that won't work, is it possible for me to use a DVI to HDMI adapter cable to get both monitors working?
If that's not possible with my monitors, can I use a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter? (don't even know what a Mini DisplayPort is..)
What I'm trying to figure out here is if I'm screwed with a broken (:( ) graphics card, or if I'm missing some kind of compatibility issue.

More about : radeon 6950 monitor problems

February 18, 2011 12:47:13 AM

Is no one answering cause it's a dumb question? :( 
m
l
February 19, 2011 3:28:33 AM

Bought a mini displayport to DVI adapter in hopes that it'll work :( 
m
l
August 21, 2011 5:07:23 PM

I am in the same situation as you. only the dvi port on the top is working while the one on the bottom doesn't allow to recognize the monitor. a curious thing is that the HDMI port it does recognize my tv while I have the the first DVI connected to my main pc monitor. So I bought a HDMI to DVI convertor to fix my second monitor, the strange thing is that it doesn't recognize it either. Let me know if you could fix the problem.

Thanks
m
l
August 21, 2011 5:49:45 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000X0VCY/ref=wms_ohs...

My standard old blue VGA cable with DVI connectors on it goes to the top port while that DVI cable goes to the bottom port, works fine now. DVI-D (dual link) is what you want. just go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#C...

I imagine two DVI-D cables will fix the problem, but don't quote me on that because I only bought one and continued to use one of my older cables (with standard VGA to DVI connectors that you get with video cards and monitors which are the DVI-I ones in the photo I posted above).

Hope that helps, as it did for me, just wish someone would of told me before buying all these different kinds of cables >.>

edited because the wikipedia link made a smiley face :( 
m
l
November 22, 2011 1:59:04 AM

After reading the user guide, you will see that the top port is DVI-I, meaning it supports analog and digital output, however, the bottom port is DVI-D, meaning it will only support digital output, thus no VGA connections. I believe a single link cable would be fine. Very few devices actually use dual link anyway.

Hope this helps someone.

By the way, the guide is here
m
l
March 9, 2012 3:38:33 PM

Wahoo! Nice one Gimplestink. Thats got both my monitors working now. I purchased the ASUS 6950 - and i must admit only looked at the printed manual - which is useless. Should have checked out the on-line manual. Thanks anyway! :D 
m
l
!