Possible Problem with Crossfire compatability.

FlyingSpaghettiMonster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I finally decided on a build with the help of some people here in the forums and now that the parts have come in I have found something that makes me nervous. I was recommended the Radeon 6950 crossfire setup with the Asrock 870 Extreme3 Motherboard. Everything on the description states that this mobo is Crossfire x compatible using dual 8X. I haven't ever used crossfire before so I was under the impression if it said so on the box that was all you needed to know. But... I went to Asrock's website to look at drivers and in specifications saw where it has only one current video card, the Radeon 5870, listed as supported under WIN 7, and even the cards supported in XP and Vista are very old low lvl cards. So I then went to AMD"s site and it's compatability chart does not list a single 870 chipset as crossfire certified compatible. Which doesn't make sense I have seen many boards at 870 touting crossfire capability.

I tried contacting Asrock and they simply haven't responded to my e-mails.

Anyone able to shed some light on the subject?

edit: after doing more research I have found that no other 870 mobos have crossfire compatability... So still nervous.