Dell Inspiron 530S

madrog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Hello,
I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 530S and I am wondering if I can use another cabinet that is bigger? Is that easy to install? And does Inspiron 530S support pci express?

You can move any ATX or mATX setup into a new ATX case. The hardest (not really hard) part is each case has its own connections for power / reset buttons / HDD activity indicators. Also, connecting the front panel to the motherboard is different depending on the motherboard and case.

Additionally, your motherboard has a PCIex16 slot. Finally, save the plate that your back panel connections slide through on your current case. You may be able to use this on your new case.

Refer to this document and your new case's documentation when you want to move forward:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp530s/en/OM/HTML/parts.htm#wp1184332

whoa wait....
depends on the motherboard and the case you intend to buy.
odds are the Dell motherboard is proprietary and will not work with any retail case..
it's just not that easy sometimes.
measure to make sure the screws line up is the main thing..
The board's built by foxconn and based on the foxconn G33M. You're right, though. Dell has a lot of manufacturers build equipment for them based on a Dell spec and not necessarily an industry standard.