Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New pc shuts down while installing WoW

Last response: in Systems
April 23, 2011 11:40:58 PM

Hello,

My husband and i just built an AMD pc and while we are trying to download all the updates for WoW, it shuts down after a couple of hours. The download is taking forever and when it shuts down, i can still see the power LED is on but the fans are not working and i can't reset or power on and it won't wake with the mouse or keyboard. Any idea why it might be doing this?
The temp for the cpu runs between 32 to 35C, Motherboard temp is around the same or a little less according to the PC probe that i installed with the Asus motherboard.
Are the temps good? We installed the coolermaster Hyper 212 plus also
cpu: AMD Phenom IIX4 965 black edition
mb: Asus M4A89GTD Pro usb3
graphics: Asus HD 6850
Psu: Corsair HX series 650W
Memory: G.Skill DDR3 2X2GB
dvd: light on DVD RW
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB

This is our first build and we thought everything went well but we don't know why it's shutting down like that, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

More about : shuts installing wow

a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 24, 2011 1:33:29 AM

Temps are fine if accurate. How are you getting them? Software like Realtemps?

Instability such as the above is most likely due to RAM, assuming you are not overclocking.

1. Remove any overclocking.
2. Make sure RAM timings and voltage are set to manf specs in bios.
3. DL and run memtest86 for at least 8 passes.
4. Less likely is a bad socket/dirty power in the house, but you can just move it to another circuit, or if you don't know which outlet is on which, you can take to a friends place.

If that doesn't turn up errors then you'll need to start swapping parts. Either place them in a known working PC, or replace with a known working part.
Parts to swap would be:
1. PSU
2. HD
3. Mobo
4. CPU
m
l
April 24, 2011 3:29:08 PM

Thanks for your advice banthracis,

I changed the timings and set the voltage to manufacturers spec. They were only off by one default was 9-9-9-24 and the specs were 8-8-8-24.
I'll run the memtest86 today too. do i need to set up the test a certain way or just run it? I've never used it before.
Hopefully this will solve my problem since we don't have spare parts lying around to swap out, lol : )
I had to unplug the pc and then restart it to get it going again and it ran some tests on my hard drive when i restarted. I hope the HDD isn't the problem. Thanks again for your help.

Oh and i'm getting the temps from the PC Probe II software that came on the disk for the asus motherboard. I also have ai manager that came with it too that says the same temps. Is that good enough or should i get different software?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 25, 2011 3:19:45 AM

You can just dl memtest as a bootable USB or as a bootable CD/DVD.

It's not a software you run in windows.

Make sure to press F12 or w/e the button is for you bios to pick boot device, and boot from USB key or CD/DVD with memtest on it.

PC Probe II isn't horrendous, but should just go by realtemp, which is a free program, that is probably the most accurate one out there.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Also, you mentioned timings, did you also set voltage properly? You didn't list exact model, but most G Skill kits are 1.5v.
April 25, 2011 12:40:15 PM

Hi,

Yes I also set the voltage to 1.5. I watched a Linus Tech Tips video to see how, lol. I was able to finish downloading the updates for WoW and played for a couple of hours last night with no problems so maybe the timings were the problem. I'll create the bootable CD for memtest and try that out anyway though.
I haven't loaded any of the overclocking software like Pro Evo, Turbo boost, or core unlocker yet since i'm not overclocking till I know more. Also haven't loaded the Express Gate software.. not sure if I would use that. Thanks so much for your help.

m
l
April 25, 2011 12:44:07 PM

Best answer selected by Saleena.
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 25, 2011 2:09:46 PM

Glad things are working out then. Be sure to run memtest though. Often times people will have bad RAM and not realize it until months down the road after the bad sectors have built up to seriously affect them.

better to find out while you can still return ^^.

As for overclocking, don't use the included software to overclock, just do it manually in the BIOS. Software OC usually way overvolts and/or has an annoying habit of crashing and taking out the BIOS with it.
m
l
!