Final Fantasy I & II to GBA!

Last response: in Video Games
April 9, 2004 1:32:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg,alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5...

Final Fantasy I & II to GBA!
News Date: 04/08/2004

Two classic games, one cart!

It appears that the original Final Fantasy series will be resurrected
on the GBA. Square-Enix has unveiled its latest release of Final
Fantasy I&II Advance.

The titles appear to be retooled ports of the WonderSwan Colour
remakes, and will be released as a single cartridge.

Final Fantasy, as many gamers fondly recall, had the Light Warriors
fighting the evil machinations of CHAOS. By choosing from a variety of
classes, there were multiple ways of playing the game.

Final Fantasy II, on the other hand is a much more story-centric
title. With four pre-defined characters and a variety of weapons to
master, it took the series in an entirely new direction.

picture:

http://www.42ch.net/UploaderSmall/source/1081473813.jpg

More about : final fantasy gba

Anonymous
April 9, 2004 5:13:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg,alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

isn't FF3 considered the best? maybe that will come too

Combaticon wrote:

> http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5...

> Final Fantasy I & II to GBA!
> News Date: 04/08/2004
>
> Two classic games, one cart!
>
> It appears that the original Final Fantasy series will be resurrected
> on the GBA. Square-Enix has unveiled its latest release of Final
> Fantasy I&II Advance.
>
> The titles appear to be retooled ports of the WonderSwan Colour
> remakes, and will be released as a single cartridge.
>
> Final Fantasy, as many gamers fondly recall, had the Light Warriors
> fighting the evil machinations of CHAOS. By choosing from a variety of
> classes, there were multiple ways of playing the game.
>
> Final Fantasy II, on the other hand is a much more story-centric
> title. With four pre-defined characters and a variety of weapons to
> master, it took the series in an entirely new direction.
>
> picture:
>
> http://www.42ch.net/UploaderSmall/source/1081473813.jpg
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 10:07:11 AM

Combaticon wrote:

> http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5...

> Final Fantasy I & II to GBA!
> News Date: 04/08/2004
>
> Two classic games, one cart!
>
> It appears that the original Final Fantasy series will be resurrected
> on the GBA. Square-Enix has unveiled its latest release of Final
> Fantasy I&II Advance.
>
> The titles appear to be retooled ports of the WonderSwan Colour
> remakes, and will be released as a single cartridge.
>
> Final Fantasy, as many gamers fondly recall, had the Light Warriors
> fighting the evil machinations of CHAOS. By choosing from a variety of
> classes, there were multiple ways of playing the game.
>
> Final Fantasy II, on the other hand is a much more story-centric
> title. With four pre-defined characters and a variety of weapons to
> master, it took the series in an entirely new direction.
>
> picture:
>
> http://www.42ch.net/UploaderSmall/source/1081473813.jpg

EXCELLENT.

though, I'd rather buy them separate. I have FFII on the PSX, and I
can't stand it.

hurrah! FF on the go!

....maybe they'll make it handheld-friendly with a save anywhere
function, unlike FFTA. it's a great game, but a poor handheld game.

--
Gene Poole

Signature sold separately
April 9, 2004 10:08:04 AM

John Salerno wrote:

> isn't FF3 considered the best? maybe that will come too

the NES FF3 was incredible IMHO, though unavailable to US gamers...but I
really think good ol FF1 tops it.

> Combaticon wrote:
>
> > http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5...
> >
> > _______________________________________________________________________________
> > Final Fantasy I & II to GBA!
> > News Date: 04/08/2004
> >
> > Two classic games, one cart!
> >
> > It appears that the original Final Fantasy series will be resurrected
> > on the GBA. Square-Enix has unveiled its latest release of Final
> > Fantasy I&II Advance.
> >
> > The titles appear to be retooled ports of the WonderSwan Colour
> > remakes, and will be released as a single cartridge.
> >
> > Final Fantasy, as many gamers fondly recall, had the Light Warriors
> > fighting the evil machinations of CHAOS. By choosing from a variety of
> > classes, there were multiple ways of playing the game.
> >
> > Final Fantasy II, on the other hand is a much more story-centric
> > title. With four pre-defined characters and a variety of weapons to
> > master, it took the series in an entirely new direction.
> > _______________________________________________________________________________
> >
> > picture:
> >
> > http://www.42ch.net/UploaderSmall/source/1081473813.jpg

--
Gene Poole

Signature sold separately
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 3:02:09 PM

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> isn't FF3 considered the best? maybe that will come too
>
> Combaticon wrote:

I thought 3 was already ported over to the PS? Or have I been
smokin' too much dope again?
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 3:24:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg,alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:02:09 GMT, "jaime GAMEBOYLAD barrrrio"
<abuse@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> isn't FF3 considered the best? maybe that will come too
>>
>> Combaticon wrote:
>>

>I thought 3 was already ported over to the PS? Or have I been
>smokin' too much dope again?

You guys have your numbering all screwed up again. FF3 has never been
in english...ever! Ever since they did the PSX ports of 4, 5, and 6,
people have been correctly using those numbers and not the bastardized
numbers that the SNES games had. Remember, the US FF2 on SNES is
actually FF4 and likewise the US FF3 on SNES is actually FF6. So when
talking about FF3, we're talking about the original NES FF3 that to
date hasn't seen light outside of Japan. In fact is wasn't until FF
Origins on the PSX that we ever got to see FF2.
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 4:20:55 PM

jaime GAMEBOYLAD barrrrio wrote:

> I thought 3 was already ported over to the PS? Or have I been
> smokin' too much dope again?

That's the only one that has never seen a (legal) English language release.

--
- Blaine

http://www.bureau42.com
ICQ: 24893016

"Who is that guy slaughtering all the women and children? That's so
hot!" -Padme Amidala, Twisted ToyFare Theater.
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 5:18:21 PM

No, FF5 is the one that hasn't been legally translated. FF3 if i remember
right was ported to the WS for some strange reason (Sqaure logic know doubt)

I've played FF5, not a bad game at all, though its story somewhat lacks from
FF3, but FF5 I think has a better job system.

"W. Blaine Dowler" <wdowler@NOSPAMualberta.ca> wrote in message
> jaime GAMEBOYLAD barrrrio wrote:
>
> > I thought 3 was already ported over to the PS? Or have I been
> > smokin' too much dope again?
>
> That's the only one that has never seen a (legal) English language
release.

> --
> - Blaine
>
> http://www.bureau42.com
> ICQ: 24893016
>
> "Who is that guy slaughtering all the women and children? That's so
> hot!" -Padme Amidala, Twisted ToyFare Theater.
April 9, 2004 5:18:22 PM

"Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> No, FF5 is the one that hasn't been legally translated. FF3 if i remember
> right was ported to the WS for some strange reason (Sqaure logic know
doubt)

FF5 and FF6 were released as FF Anthology on PSone. FF3 is the only one that
hasn't had a proper US release.
April 9, 2004 6:22:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg,alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

> EXCELLENT.
>
> though, I'd rather buy them separate. I have FFII on the PSX, and I
> can't stand it.
>
> hurrah! FF on the go!
>
> ...maybe they'll make it handheld-friendly with a save anywhere
> function, unlike FFTA. it's a great game, but a poor handheld game.

Are you saying FFTA does NOT have a save anywhere function? Funny... I can
save anywhere, anytime on the map, and if I'm in the middle of a battle, all
I have to do is wait for one of my character's turns to come up so I can
save in the middle of the battle. It's not exactly save anytime you feel
like it, but it's certainly not like you have to finish that 20 minute
battle to save either.

Chris
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 7:44:33 PM

FF3 is, IMHO, the best of them (or at least, the most fondly
remembered!) I hope they bring that one to GBA!!
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 8:26:25 PM

Indiana wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:02:09 GMT, "jaime GAMEBOYLAD barrrrio"
> <abuse@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> >"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> isn't FF3 considered the best? maybe that will come too
> >>
> >> Combaticon wrote:
> >>

> >I thought 3 was already ported over to the PS? Or have I been
> >smokin' too much dope again?
> >

> You guys have your numbering all screwed up again. FF3 has never been
> in english...ever! Ever since they did the PSX ports of 4, 5, and 6,
> people have been correctly using those numbers and not the bastardized
> numbers that the SNES games had. Remember, the US FF2 on SNES is
> actually FF4 and likewise the US FF3 on SNES is actually FF6. So when
> talking about FF3, we're talking about the original NES FF3 that to
> date hasn't seen light outside of Japan. In fact is wasn't until FF
> Origins on the PSX that we ever got to see FF2.

I, uh...think everybody who's psoted knows that.

--
Gene Poole

Signature sold separately
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 8:46:32 PM

Pumpkin wrote:

> > EXCELLENT.
> >
> > though, I'd rather buy them separate. I have FFII on the PSX, and I
> > can't stand it.
> >
> > hurrah! FF on the go!
> >
> > ...maybe they'll make it handheld-friendly with a save anywhere
> > function, unlike FFTA. it's a great game, but a poor handheld game.
>
> Are you saying FFTA does NOT have a save anywhere function? Funny... I can
> save anywhere, anytime on the map, and if I'm in the middle of a battle, all
> I have to do is wait for one of my character's turns to come up so I can
> save in the middle of the battle. It's not exactly save anytime you feel
> like it, but it's certainly not like you have to finish that 20 minute
> battle to save either.
>
> Chris

......oh.

maybe I should read the manual.

heh.

--
Gene Poole

Signature sold separately
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 12:13:24 AM

"Indiana" <nope@nope.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:02:09 GMT, "jaime GAMEBOYLAD barrrrio"
> <abuse@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> >"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> isn't FF3 considered the best? maybe that will come too
> >>
> >> Combaticon wrote:
> >>

> >I thought 3 was already ported over to the PS? Or have I been
> >smokin' too much dope again?
> >

> You guys have your numbering all screwed up again. FF3 has never been
> in english...ever! Ever since they did the PSX ports of 4, 5, and 6,
> people have been correctly using those numbers and not the bastardized
> numbers that the SNES games had. Remember, the US FF2 on SNES is
> actually FF4 and likewise the US FF3 on SNES is actually FF6. So when
> talking about FF3, we're talking about the original NES FF3 that to
> date hasn't seen light outside of Japan. In fact is wasn't until FF
> Origins on the PSX that we ever got to see FF2.

Of course, I was refering to the American releases of the game, Mr. Detail.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 12:33:15 AM

"Jase" <jasonl@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > No, FF5 is the one that hasn't been legally translated. FF3 if i
remember
> > right was ported to the WS for some strange reason (Sqaure logic know
> doubt)
> >

> FF5 and FF6 were released as FF Anthology on PSone. FF3 is the only one
that
> hasn't had a proper US release.

Square actually had FF5 translated and pretty close to completed for a
US release when they went through a period of indecisiveness about the US
market. They left it hanging so long FF6 was given the go-ahead for US
release and they then felt it would look strange to release a new FF game
that was step backwards technologically (ROM size and special FX, not in
terms of gameplay necessarily) so for a while the plan was to release it for
the SNES under a non-FF title.

This lead to further dithering and indecision about whether it could
still worthy for release when the US FF III and ChronoTrigger had raise
expectations so high. So it just sat around unreleased. Several years later
the passage of time and nostalgia has mooted all those issues. The most
expensive part of the localization, the language translation, was already
done so it made perfect sense to release it with FF6/III on the Playstation.
The new CG footage had already been produced for the Japanese market so that
was effectively free.

For the Japanese FF3 they'd starting from scratch in terms of all the
labor and cost needed to make it a US product. Bad decision I thought. Like
FF5 in the other compilation it would have been the perfect selling point
for FF fans who'd played the NES originals but weren't nostalgic enough to
buy them again. I'm inclined to think the added sales from that as well as
the greater overall value would have done the trick for making the
investment worthwhile.
April 10, 2004 2:44:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.final-fantasy.rpg,alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

> .....oh.
>
> maybe I should read the manual.
>
> heh.
>
> --
> Gene Poole
>
> Signature sold separately

Is that what you were referring to was not being able to save in battle? If
so, press 'B' once it's your turn, then 'Start'. At the bottom of the menu
it should save 'Save' or 'Save Now', something like that. When you next
start your game, you pick up the battle where you left off, and your the
game makes some note/comment about how it erases your prior save data. I
think that part just refers to whatever was from your last map-screen save
to the battle-save.

Chris
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 2:00:40 PM

Gene Poole wrote:

> Pumpkin wrote:
> >
> > > EXCELLENT.
> > >
> > > though, I'd rather buy them separate. I have FFII on the PSX, and I
> > > can't stand it.
> > >
> > > hurrah! FF on the go!
> > >
> > > ...maybe they'll make it handheld-friendly with a save anywhere
> > > function, unlike FFTA. it's a great game, but a poor handheld game.
> >
> > Are you saying FFTA does NOT have a save anywhere function? Funny... I can
> > save anywhere, anytime on the map, and if I'm in the middle of a battle, all
> > I have to do is wait for one of my character's turns to come up so I can
> > save in the middle of the battle. It's not exactly save anytime you feel
> > like it, but it's certainly not like you have to finish that 20 minute
> > battle to save either.
> >
> > Chris
>
> .....oh.
>
> maybe I should read the manual.