I'm almost done with the plan for my next build. This is what i got so far:

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper + sidepanel with window
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 or ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
CPU: Intel 3570k or 3770k
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: 1 x GTX 680 (Maybe 2 later)
SSD: 1 x Intel 520 (120 GB)
HHD: 2-3 x WD
PSU: CoolerMaster 750W or 850W modular (Don't remember exactly which, but it's from my current computer)
RAM: 16GB (Not sure which)
Audio: Some Creative card (Not sure which)

I know Z77 motherboards are very new, so i don't expect suggestion and advice on a motherboard specific level, but more on a brand level.

I'm current somewhere between MSI Z77A-GD65 and ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe. Not sure what to get.

I've had one ASUS motherboard before which i never had any problems with and i've never owned a MSI product before. The boards are quite similar so this might turn into a MSI vs ASUS question.

What would you recommend?

shaggyhtcc

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I'm in exactly the same boat as you except the asus board I was looking at was the p8z77-LK which I was ready to buy untill I spotted the realtek on board lan which I hear bad thing's about. So i hope someone lend's some insight here.

spyfish

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Well, that kind of depends what you want. The MSI one got a couple of advantages over the Asus one

- Z77A-GD65 comes with a much better Audio Chip, ALC898. While the Asus one got ALC892. Bot of them got intel nics, which is good.
- Z77A-GD65 have lower power consumption than the Asus one
- Z77A-GD65 lower pricing

But Asus got:
- Better Fan control
- more usb3 ports

Myself im trying to choose between the P8Z77-V PRO (or non-pro) and Z77A-GD65. The number of ports are not that important to me, but sound is.

The ALC898 audio chip have had allot better test-results than ALC892, not sure if i would notice the difference on my stereo though. But the combination of better Audio and Power consumption makes me lean towards the MSI Z77A-GD65

Both board seem to have similar performance and OC capabilities.

This is the best review of Z77 boards i found so far. It in dutch, but easily understandable if translated with google.
http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/26 [...] jkingstest

They are testing 20 different Z77 boards, quite extensive testing but no OC.

Xdreamer

Honorable
Mar 14, 2012
Why didn't i get any mails about replys... hmm... ?

Ended up ordering the MSI board. Got it yesterday. That's a very nice looking board. Can't wait to get it fired up xD

@spyfish
Yeah, i really like the fan control stuff the ASUS board has. But i might end up with a AeroCool touch fan control, anyways. And the CM Storm Trooper has a build-in fan controller. BTW, that's an AWESOME case!!!

miamimike

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Not sure if this is true or just someone from Amazon reviews complaining but he said that he couldn't get the Keyboard and mouse to work with Asus.

Here is the quoted dated May 14th, 2012:"My issue was simply that my mouse did not work most of the time. In the UEFI BIOS, Linux and Windows, the mouse does not work until I disconnect and reconnect it. On the Hard Forums, an ASUS representative said a patch for UEFI could take weeks or more, and that the issue with Windows may be fixed as a result, or may require a driver fix.
I've since switched to the MSI GD65 board, and everything works fine. (and this mouse worked fine on two x58 boards, and an asus P68 motherboard.)"

I have a couple of Gigabyte mobo's that will only work if you enable USB legacy mode and must plug it directly to the USB ports and cannot just use a USB hub.
Just curious if this was fixed. I am also looking at the exact 2 mobo's listed in this thread and am leaning towards the MSI because of that issue and some other people posting RMA issues where Asus refuses to accept the motherboard, making excuses that you damaged it instead of them just taking it back and exchanging it.
I really like the ASUS