Sign in with
Your question
Closed

QVL list for Crosshair V

Last response: in Motherboards
April 4, 2012 6:21:18 PM

On the list for the Crosshair V the following memory is listed for DDR3 Kingston HyperX

KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX(XMP)

Now I have the HyperX T1 series which goes as KHX1600C8D3T1K2/4GX(XMP) and that isn't listed. The memory works but it registers as 1333Mhz. Shouldn't this memory be the same as the regular HyperX memory apart from the cooling system and the higher tolerances for overclocking???

More about : qvl list crosshair

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
April 4, 2012 6:48:20 PM

In a way ASUS does list it, it's just listed under the "...K3/6GX" SKU - a 3 module kit SKU. No your motherboard is not a 3 channel board, but ASUS only has so much time when doing QVL and in this hurry, they post things that aren't 100% (e.g., they read and wrote the SKU of the modules/packaging, tested it as noted in the QVL - 2 and 4 modules - and moved on to the next test). None the less, you can be assured that your 2GB modules, of the HyperX T1 variety are qualified by ASUS.

On to the point that's probably more interesting to you; why not 1600Mhz. Probably because the BIOS is setting a 1:1 ratio between CPU/RAM. OR Kingston's highest speed in the SPD is set for 1333MHz to insure the system POSTs regardless of HW/BIOS configuration.
Especially if it's the latter problem, you can safely increase the RAM frequency to 1600, and no other settings, and be done with it.

Unless you're interested and comfortable with OCing, do not bump the voltage higher (stock V should be @ 1.5v), or increase the FSB of the CPU to achieve this 1600. If you're fine with all that comes with OCing, have at it and have fun! :) 
April 4, 2012 7:04:38 PM

So I should be good then?

I'm incredibly comfortable with OCing. I'm planning on overclocking my CPU when I get everything working
Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
April 4, 2012 7:09:23 PM

Yea, you should be fine. And if you're well versed in OCing, all the better.

One way to look at Kingston SKUs is the K2 or K3 at the end is just a Kit of the non-K# SKU. K2 and K3 just insures that you're buying 2 or 3 modules that are 100% identical. I'm sure as you know, this is only important for Dual/Triple channel. But as far as specs are concerned, it's all about what's before the "K#". Therefore, if you look past the K3 part of the ASUS QVL, you'll see that you have the same module. :) 

Again, in simplest terms, you'll be fine with these modules (unless you're trying to OC to 2100MHz!! :p  )
Score
April 4, 2012 7:12:28 PM

I was thinking moving to 1600 or 1866MHz. But I'm glad everything is good (except the board which I need to send back)
Score
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
April 4, 2012 7:39:12 PM

DOH

I've had my share of HyperX parts go further in OCing than they were suppose to. So 1866 might be possible. But I've had a few HyperX parts that only went as far as they were spec'd.
Score
April 14, 2012 2:27:22 PM

Best answer selected by TechnoBowl.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a c 146 } Memory
April 14, 2012 11:50:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!