Sign in with
Your question

[Radeon HD6850] Game freezes, and VPU recover

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2011 3:36:45 PM

Hello,
I recently "upgraded" my system to a Gigaybyte Radeon HD 6850. It worked great for a few hours then suddenly my system froze. I reset it and since then whenever I play a game my computer will freeze a few minutes in. I have tried Finaly Fantasy XIV and Civilization V. The problem is seen in both. I have no idea what to do to remedy this problem. When it freezes a couple seconds later a VPU recover message popups. I screenshot the window, here it is:

My computer specs are:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache
MoBo: Intel BOXDX38BT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX
RAM:Corsair Dual Channel 4096MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)]
GPU: Gigabyte GV-R685F5-1GD Radeon HD 6850
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W

Under my Catalyst Control Center:
Driver packaging version: 8.821-110126a-112958C-ATI
Catalyst Version: 11.2

February 17, 2011 3:45:02 PM

You could try the 11.1a drivers?

If it does the same thing, return it while you still can.
m
l
February 17, 2011 3:48:43 PM

I will try that now.
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2011 4:09:24 PM

Well I am not even having luck uninstalling the old drivers. The uninstaller just hangs up... This is why I always avoided ATI in the past, worst driver's I have ever experienced...

edit - I go into device manager, right click, do uninstall, reset... the driver is still there... Why is it not being removed?

edit2 - I think I finally got 11.2 uninstalled and 11.1 installed. I had to boot into safe mode and also use driver cleaner pro.

edit3 - Where can I find 11.1a hotfix for XP? This is the list of previous drivers I see for XP: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/...

edit4 - It tells me CCC is installed, but I cant find it running anywhere and it wont let me install it again.
m
l
February 17, 2011 5:21:07 PM

Evilspoon said:
Well I am not even having luck uninstalling the old drivers. The uninstaller just hangs up... This is why I always avoided ATI in the past, worst driver's I have ever experienced...

edit - I go into device manager, right click, do uninstall, reset... the driver is still there... Why is it not being removed?

edit2 - I think I finally got 11.2 uninstalled and 11.1 installed. I had to boot into safe mode and also use driver cleaner pro.

edit3 - Where can I find 11.1a hotfix for XP? This is the list of previous drivers I see for XP: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/...

edit4 - It tells me CCC is installed, but I cant find it running anywhere and it wont let me install it again.

Unfortunately, they only released the 11.1a hotfix for Windows 7 32 and 64. Sorry I didn't notice that. My bad.

Try 10.12? If that doesn't work for you, I would look into returning the card. We could sit here and try every possible thing, though we know the only thing you've changed is that video card and you never had the problem before. You have plenty of power. The difference is that card.
m
l
February 17, 2011 9:56:51 PM

I've tried 11.2, 11.1, and just now 10.12. It keeps freezing at roughly the same exact spot in both games. It seems every time a 3D model is being rendered it just crashes. I don't know if it is hardware or software related, but it just seems to consistent to be hardware (from my experience hardware is more random. This will be the third ATI card (out of 3) that have caused me so much trouble. If there are no more suggestions I will just send this card back. Hopefully I can put credit towards an nVidia instead (more costly, but they have never caused me any problems).
m
l
February 17, 2011 10:11:50 PM

Even 10.12 does not run on xp as far as I remember. Instead try 10.10e which is a the only hotfix that supports xp and 68xx series.
m
l
February 18, 2011 1:10:46 AM

I've spent the whole day trying to resolve this. But I give up, shipping card back tomorrow and ordering a nVidia, thanks to those that tried to help. This thread can be locked or whatever.
m
l
February 18, 2011 1:22:51 AM

i've been having the same problem on my 4850 lately. so what i did was i unistalled my current driver and used driver cleaner pro and downloaded the new driver from AMD. Ever since then i haven't had any crash issues. the funny part was before i did all that i already had the 11.1 driver in my computer but when i looked at Catalyst it was showing 10.12 driver. And before i unistalled the drivers the 11.1 driver was corrupted. So i had to unistall my driver and use driver cleaner pro to do a fresh install of the new AMD driver..And now it works fine..im also using windows xp 64...
m
l
May 10, 2011 1:15:26 PM

i have a 6850 too and with a AMD system, My ram was a 2 Gig DDR3 1333. i played DragonAge with out any problem in XP but when I upgraded my ram to 2x2 Gb (dual channel) with adding a same ram as a previous one, the game freez after loading saves. but when i changed my ram configuration to single channel( with replacing RAM slot) , the problem solved.
i know that you may solve your problem until now but i think it may be useful for anothers
m
l
!