1st time building a gaming computer - Thanks!

want2board

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hello, I just wanted to say I finished building my first computer. I did not submit a request on this website but read many other similar threads which was very helpful in determining what to purchase. This community rocks! I was originally going to buy a computer (Dell Alien or something like that) but they cost way to much. After reading many of the posts on here I concluded that I could build a better computer for less which I believe has been the case.

Below are my specifications and everything is working great, though I am still playing around with the overclocking:

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Case w/ Blue LEDs
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Processor
Corsair Hydro H70 CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
Corsair AX1200 Gold Power Supply
XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB Video Card
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SATA III HD (C drive for boot drive and programs)
2 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB (D drive for data using RAID1)
Lite-On 24X DVD Writer with Nero 9 Essentials
Lite-On 4X Blue-Ray Disc Reader with Cyberlink Power DVD8
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full

A couple things I learned all the way:
1 - Could have gone with the i5 based on all the posts but a friend said go with the i7, so could have saved $100 there.
2 - If you are going to use RAID be sure to change that setting BEFORE you install windows 7 - I learned that one the hard way, but good practice I guess.
3 - Maybe could have gotten by with only a 850W power supply, but wanted to make sure I had enough power in case I install a 2nd graphics card in the future (or additional hard drives and/or RAM)
4 - I learned how to trick windows into letting me put the "Users" folders onto the D drive (RAID drives) instead of the C drive (boot drive which is where Windows 7 is installed).

Thanks again - I could not have done it without all of the great advice found on this website!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS