Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS - temperatures too high?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 17, 2011 4:37:06 PM

hello,

I have a Dell XPS M1330 with a Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS graphics card.

My notebook's sensors register the following GPU temperatures (according to SWI):

normal: around 80 degrees C (176 F)

the highest temperature I've ever registered: 100 degrees C (212 F)

if I run graphics intensive tasks such as watching videos: around 90 degrees C (194 F)

are these temperatures too high, or are these values OK for this card?

would under-clocking the card help to run it on lower temperatures? these are my current clock values:

Core Clock: 400 MHz
Memory Clock: 600 MHz
Shader Clock: 800 MHz

best, G-Z

a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2011 4:58:03 PM

Although chipset-GPUs generally have a higher threshold than expansion cards, them temperatures are very high. Try to clean your laptop or perhaps it could be a faulty sensor.
February 17, 2011 5:08:34 PM

thanks for the reply

the notebook fan is clean. already checked that.

the sensor probably is correct. this notebook is known for having overheating issues. It has been replaced twice because of an overheated graphics card. Further, it occasionally happens that the system runs dramatically slower when the graphics card's temperature is extraordinarily high. when it reached the 100 degrees C mark (or 212 F) aero glass has automatically been disabled and the graphics card shot itself down to running only the basic functions until the temperature was lower again.

is there something I can do to make it run cooler? (on a software level, I mean)
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2011 5:14:48 PM

Nothing that I know of on a software level that can improve temperature levels. You could download MSI Afterburner and try turning up the fan but I don't really know about notebook cooling systems. Sorry and good luck.

Edit: You could try MSI Afterburner to get a "second opinion" on the actual temperature. Perhaps an underclock also if you don't need much graphical power. Have you installed the latest drivers from the nVidia site?
February 17, 2011 5:40:18 PM

Max what i had on mine 8400GS was 62 degrees C.
My core clock is 625Mhz,
Shader clock is 1550Mhz
Memory clock is 560Mhz
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2011 7:02:45 PM

RobisssLV said:
Max what i had on mine 8400GS was 62 degrees C.
My core clock is 625Mhz,
Shader clock is 1550Mhz
Memory clock is 560Mhz

That's not a chipset GPU though, but rather aftermarket
February 17, 2011 7:22:31 PM

@Omnisome: I checked the temperature with MSI Afterburner. It shows the same values as SIW. The fan already is on maximum speed. And yes, I already have installed the most current driver from nvidia.

@RobisssLV: I have Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS which is a mobile notebook graphics card. Is your card a desktop pc's gpu or as well a notebook's graphics card? Mine practically never reaches temperatures as low as 60 degrees.

thanks for the replies!
a b U Graphics card
February 17, 2011 8:34:26 PM

Not really anything you can do. You said earlier that his model has a bad reputation for running hot? I think you should sell/get a refund.
February 18, 2011 10:08:30 AM

yes, this notebook is know for having problems of that kind and I experienced an overheating of the graphics card twice myself.

does anyone have any experiences with under-clocking of the graphics card? are all of the three values (core, shader, memory) relevant for the under-clocking?
February 18, 2011 11:01:11 AM

is it possible to set specific clock values dependent on the current temperature of the graphics card so that it would under-clock to specific value every time it reaches a specific temperature?
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2011 3:12:17 PM

G-Z said:
is it possible to set specific clock values dependent on the current temperature of the graphics card so that it would under-clock to specific value every time it reaches a specific temperature?

Not that I know of and I highly doubt the existence of software capable.
February 18, 2011 8:29:43 PM

ok. thanks a lot for the quick and clear answers!
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2011 8:37:57 PM

G-Z said:
ok. thanks a lot for the quick and clear answers!

No problems mate, and welcome to TH.
!