System Freeze During Video Playback

SuperTongue

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Let's start with my setup:

Intel Core 2 Quad 8200 (Not Overclocked)
4GB of GSkill RAM
System / Primary Drive - Intel X25-M 80GB SSD
Secondary Drives - WD 1TB & WD 640GB
ATI Radeon 4890
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Straightforward explanation:
My computer locks up while watching practically any video. It could be a video on the computer, or one streaming from the Internet, such as on Netflix. Of course, it's random in the way it works. I can usually make it through YouTube videos, but Netflix and downloaded TV shows tend to lock up the system.

More:
The system works perfectly fine with any and all games I throw at it. I've played Crysis 2 for hours, as well as Portal 2 and others without a hitch. I've tested the RAM and received no errors. I removed one stick just to try it out, and the system continued to crash. I swapped them and the problem persisted.

I've also reformatted my primary drive and the problem seemed to go away, but it came back after a few days or so. I built the system in the summer of 2009, so it's coming up on its 2nd anniversary. I've never had a single problem with it from day 1 until now. I've tried practically everything I could think of, but I could really use some advice with this as I'm not in a position to build a new machine until later this summer at the very earliest.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get with this. If you need any more information, I'll gladly provide it. And sorry if this seems like a lurker post, but I really don't know what else to try. Thank you so incredibly much for anything anyone in this community can offer. I really hope someone can help!

I had a laptop (5 yr old Celeron-M) that would work fine web surfing for hours, but, would lock up within 10-20 minutes of watching videos; upon disassembly, it's cpu/heat sink paste had all pretty much dried up, and, upon cleaning/reapplication of new thermal paste, it's functional life was completely restored.

That's where I'd start! (cleaning heat sink/thermal compound reapplication)

SuperTongue

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Sounds like a good idea. My heat sink was a bit weird going on anyway, and I've moved the PC back and forth a lot recently. Seems like it could have come loose.

Any other suggestions?