I've got an itch: Topic 2 - Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the itch, but not ready to scratch!

I got the “time to build a new system” itch again. Keep in mind; this will be my 6th or 7th build, so I’m no noob.

Before I go into detail, see my signature of my current rig.

I use this mainly for Office applications (Word, Excel, and Finance/Budget programs), surfing the web, and movie watching. I usually have several applications running at once (i.e. Excel, Quicken, Outlook, IE, and downloading something), but I have not monitored my usages thru Task Manager, but I will. I don’t notice much bottlenecking, but I do demand a responsive system.

It’s also set up in a home network with my wife’s PC, my TV, Blu-Ray player, and Wi-Fi printer through a router. I’m not a gamer, but would like a powerful enough machine if I do play. In the future I would like to copy/convert my DVD collection to my PC.

Since I have several topics, I’ll break down it down into threads for the appropriate categories: CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Graphics, and Storage (SSD). I’ll use the PSU and case I have, as well as all the other components (monitor, printer, etc.).

After weighing the options to upgrade to the upcoming Ivy Bridge CPU and Z77 chipset motherboards, I think I’ll wait a while (until the bugs are fixed, if any. Remembering the Sandy Bridge motherboard chipset bug, requiring a total recall).

I don’t want to go the LGA 2011 route, as everything is way more expensive. Although I do like the latest SBM $2600 rig!

But that doesn’t mean I couldn’t do so “upgrades” within my current system.

So here I go (finally)…

Topic 2: Motherboard

I’m not convinced the upcoming Z77 chipset specifications as being better than my current Z68 motherboard:

1.) The only real thing I see that Z77 will have is native USB 3.0 support, instead of an “add-on” controller chip for USB 3.0. Now I have USB 3.0 on my board, installed, but have yet to use it, and none of my devices (wireless keyboard/mouse combo, printer, smart-phone, camera, iPod, and external hard drive) support it. I know they will work, as USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0, but I’ve yet to try. So I see no real benefit in having native USB 3.0 or more USB 3.0 ports.

2.) If Z77 chipset offered more SATA III ports, it would be a no brainer. But it offers the same as Z68: 2-SATA III, 4-SATA II. I don’t like the add-on SATA III controller of my board (Marvell), or the eSATA controller (JMicron). I have had usability issues with them (not running up to specs).

3.) I don’t want all the extra bells and whistle that some of these boards are offering: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Dual LAN. I don’t even want the PS2 connector on the back panel. I won’t use the VGA/DVI/HDMI on the back panel, but do want to use the Lucid Virtu technology to help my discrete graphics card accelerate any video transcoding or rendering, or whatever.

So I guess I already talked myself out of one of these motherboards. BTW, I was looking at an Asus P8Z77-V Pro, LX, and WS models. I’ve always liked Asus. And I really like the UEFI BIOS.

With no replies, I guess I answered my own question.

The sale at Microcenter was just too good to pass, so I picked up a i7 2600K for $199.99.

Probably gonna sell the i5 2500K on craigslist for $100.00.

Now have no intentions of upgrading the motherboard to a Z77 chipset, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.