Is this normal? MB Chipset Driver install

gehjl

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Hey guys, this is my first PC that I've built and this just struck me as a bit odd based on videos that I've watched. It runs okay, but any attempt to overclock the CPU yields unstable results, even increasing it to 3.8 from 3.7, so I'm trying to see if this might be a problem. When I installed the chipset driver, it never opened a GUI or anything, this is all that came up.

Untitled by Acioara, on Flickr

The CMD window went away, came back, then both items went away and that's it. Not even a reboot required or anything, so I'm a bit lost if this is normal.

Here are my PC specs:
AMD Phenom II 980 BE
Asus M5A97 MB
8GB Ripjaws 1600
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Antec Plus 550W

Thanks!

Frankly, I never use the MOBO's CD/DVD and always go to the MOBO's site and download the latest drivers prior to the installation.

My suggestion to you is to go to ASUS and update ALL of your drivers and NEVER use an Application to OC i.e. ASUS AI Suite or AMD OverDrive Utility. If they're installed then I'd uninstall them all. Those Apps are always running and interfere with any OC. So you're either fully dependent upon them or they will cause you problems; they're BIOS invasive.

Drivers - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97/#download