Sign in with
Your question

Well, it's time for my first build

Last response: in Systems
April 24, 2011 4:51:55 AM

For general purpose and software development. Will mostly work in VMware VMs.
I've got as far as buying a case (liked it and it was on sale).

Cooler Master Storm Scout

Here's what I have in mind to add:

Intel BOXDQ67SWB3 motherboard

Intel i5-2500k

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

Intel 320 Series SSD

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (x2 in Raid 1)

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600

LITE-ON Black 24X

This will the first I'll have assembled from scratch (I mean from components - built several from scratch in the early 80s). Looking for feedback on component quality/compatibility/stability and any suggestions for improvement. Thanks.

More about : time build

April 24, 2011 8:05:49 AM

That build looks solid.
April 24, 2011 8:42:02 AM

It's a little odd to be using a micro-ATX board in full-size chassis. I imagine you're keen the integrated video it comes with.

For power supplies I'd suggest going with Corsair or Antec. They tend to be solid without having any bells and whistles.

And I know everyone has an opinion, but I like Mushkin ram. They've never sold me a bad stick.

I don't know if a raid on the HDs is worth while if you are running an SSD as the boot drive.

On your first build always remember to take your time, never be in a hurry, read through the installation steps before you begin, and steer clear of static.

I'm not sure if that CPU cooler comes with thermal grease, but I'd suggest the noctua NT-H1. It's fairly good performing, easy to install, and it's non-conductive so you don't have to worry about it getting in the wrong places.

Related resources
April 24, 2011 12:07:44 PM

normally I would agree with going with Antec of Corsair on PSU's, but this model is an exception. jonnyguru rated it a 9/10.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

build looks ok. Odd choice of MB though. you are NOT overclocking right?

I would try to price everything from one source and try to save $ on shipping.
April 24, 2011 3:42:05 PM

Why_Me said:
That build looks solid.

Thanks!
April 24, 2011 3:48:38 PM

MagicPants said:
It's a little odd to be using a micro-ATX board in full-size chassis. I imagine you're keen the integrated video it comes with.

For power supplies I'd suggest going with Corsair or Antec. They tend to be solid without having any bells and whistles.

And I know everyone has an opinion, but I like Mushkin ram. They've never sold me a bad stick.

I don't know if a raid on the HDs is worth while if you are running an SSD as the boot drive.

On your first build always remember to take your time, never be in a hurry, read through the installation steps before you begin, and steer clear of static.

I'm not sure if that CPU cooler comes with thermal grease, but I'd suggest the noctua NT-H1. It's fairly good performing, easy to install, and it's non-conductive so you don't have to worry about it getting in the wrong places.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Yes, is odd. But that case purchase was somewhat an impulse buy. Yes, integrated graphics is a selling point for that MB. I've no need for anything else (Google Earth is probably the most graphically-intensive thing I do). But I see the case as something I can grow with.

Doing RAID 1 (mirroring) for redundancy.

I realized I didn't have the grease in my list after I made the post. Went looking and found this:
Actic Silver 5
I'll check out the Noctua also.
April 24, 2011 3:52:28 PM

jerreddredd said:
normally I would agree with going with Antec of Corsair on PSU's, but this model is an exception. jonnyguru rated it a 9/10.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

build looks ok. Odd choice of MB though. you are NOT overclocking right?

I would try to price everything from one source and try to save $ on shipping.

Thanks for feedback.

Not planning to overclock. I know the CPU is capable but choice was based on better integrated graphics. Does that MB not support overclocking?

Went with Amazon for a couple components because of better price. And Newegg didn't list that MB.
April 24, 2011 7:08:43 PM

charrington said:
Thanks for feedback.

Not planning to overclock. I know the CPU is capable but choice was based on better integrated graphics. Does that MB not support overclocking?

Went with Amazon for a couple components because of better price. And Newegg didn't list that MB.

Only the P67 chipset supports Over Clocking, but they have no on board graphics. the H67,H61 and Q67 chipsets are able to use the built in CPU graphics -INTEL HD 2000 for regular SB chips and HD 3000 for "K" series chips, but can't over clock... Stupid huh?

for what you are doing intergrated graphics are fine.

since the MB only has one SATA controller you wont be able to have the SSD in AHCI mode and TRIM enabled. TRIM doesn't work in RAID mode... Intel did release a driver, but I didn't see your MB listed
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=N&...

you might want to look into how to maintain your SSD in Raid. Some SSD's have auto trim or some sort of garbage collection built in to them. I'm no expert, so I bought a MB that had two SATA controllers so can put on in AHCI for SSD and Trim and one in RAID. In theory anyway, no RAID set up yet. maybe someone in the forum know more about cleaning up SSD's in RAID.
April 24, 2011 7:33:16 PM

jerreddredd said:
Only the P67 chipset supports Over Clocking, but they have no on board graphics. the H67,H61 and Q67 chipsets are able to use the built in CPU graphics -INTEL HD 2000 for regular SB chips and HD 3000 for "K" series chips, but can't over clock... Stupid huh?

since the MB only has one SATA controller you wont be able to have the SSD in AHCI mode and TRIM enabled. TRIM doesn't work in RAID mode... Intel did release a driver, but I didn't see your MB listed

you might want to look into how to maintain your SSD in Raid. Some SSD's have auto trim or some sort of garbage collection built in to them. I'm no expert, so I bought a MB that had two SATA controllers so can put on in AHCI for SSD and Trim and one in RAID. In theory anyway, no RAID set up yet. maybe someone in the forum know more about cleaning up SSD's in RAID.

Hey,
SSD is just for boot and perhaps my main desktop VM. I can't afford to buy one big enough for data partitions, let alone get 2 for RAID.

If I did't go RAID 1 with the data partition, would it still be an issue to only have one SATA controller? Because SSD and HDD don't like to co-exist on same controller? If so, I may be back to the drawingboard for MB selection, or get a dedicated RAID controller.

Thanks.
April 24, 2011 9:11:01 PM

jerreddredd said:

After reading this post, your comment made more sense.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18653

"The latest: Intel® RST 9.6 will be released this week which includes TRIM
support for SSDs. It will support TRIM with SSDs in an AHCI configuration, or
with the RAID controller enabled and the SSD is used as a pass through
device. An example of this use case is for users that want to use the SSD as a
boot drive but still be able to RAID multiple HDDs together to allow for large
protect data storage - a great use for the home theater PC. TRIM support for
SSDs in a RAID configuration is under investigation and is not included in
Intel® RST 9.6."

Since as you indicated, my board wasn't listed, I searched the drivers and found that the board is listed in the newer version:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...

April 25, 2011 6:24:56 AM

charrington said:
After reading this post, your comment made more sense.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18653

"The latest: Intel® RST 9.6 will be released this week which includes TRIM
support for SSDs. It will support TRIM with SSDs in an AHCI configuration, or
with the RAID controller enabled and the SSD is used as a pass through
device. An example of this use case is for users that want to use the SSD as a
boot drive but still be able to RAID multiple HDDs together to allow for large
protect data storage - a great use for the home theater PC. TRIM support for
SSDs in a RAID configuration is under investigation and is not included in
Intel® RST 9.6."

Since as you indicated, my board wasn't listed, I searched the drivers and found that the board is listed in the newer version:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...

Thanks for the link. I will book mark it for future use. Thats what I love about this forum.... I always learning something new.

good luck with your build. make sure to post back to this thread (if its still active) and let us know how your build went. feedback is alway good.
May 28, 2011 5:53:44 PM

I got all the parts and built the system. Boots to BIOS successfully. Now need to figure out Win7 install process on SSD
May 28, 2011 5:59:57 PM

charrington said:
I got all the parts and built the system. Boots to BIOS successfully. Now need to figure out Win7 install process on SSD

it should be no different than a HDD.
May 29, 2011 1:54:38 PM

charrington said:
I added this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

readme instructions seem ambiguous to me

here I modded the instructions to help clarify some:

set up your raid arrays in the bios. your SSD drive will be a stand alone disk.

1. you will need a USB drive.
2. extract the ZIP file contents to the root of your USB drive. (make sure you have the zip file for the right OS 64 bit or 32 bit)

iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat,
iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat,
iaStor.sys, and
TxtSetup.oem.

3. for XP (no applicable) Skip to 4

4. For Microsoft Windows Vista*:( WIN 7 should be the same)

- During the operating system installation, after selecting the
location to install Vista, click Load Driver to
install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

- Continue to step 5.

5. When prompted, insert the USB drive with the file you extracted in step 2 and press Enter.

6. At this point you should be presented with a selection
for one of the controllers listed in the Overview (Section 1)
of this document depending on your hardware version and
configuration.

7. Highlight the selection that is appropriate for the
hardware in your system and press Enter.

8. Press Enter again to continue. Leave the USB drive in
the system until the next reboot as the software will
need to be copied from the USB Drive again when setup
is copying files.
May 29, 2011 10:02:15 PM

Thanks, but I had already proceeded with this approach:

1. updated system BIOS

2. used Intel RAID utility to setup two HDDs as RAID 1

3. installed OS (win7 x64) on SSD

4. installed Intel chipset drivers, then RST, then other Intel drivers

5. moved swap to a partition I created on the raid volume.

6. installed VMWare Workstation and started migrating my VMs

The system seems to be running just fine. Of course it will take days to finish the migration from my old desktop. And who know how long to get acclimated to Windows 7 UI.

jerreddredd said:
here I modded the instructions to help clarify some:

set up your raid arrays in the bios. your SSD drive will be a stand alone disk.

1. you will need a USB drive.
2. extract the ZIP file contents to the root of your USB drive. (make sure you have the zip file for the right OS 64 bit or 32 bit)

iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat,
iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat,
iaStor.sys, and
TxtSetup.oem.

3. for XP (no applicable) Skip to 4

4. For Microsoft Windows Vista*:( WIN 7 should be the same)

- During the operating system installation, after selecting the
location to install Vista, click Load Driver to
install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

- Continue to step 5.

5. When prompted, insert the USB drive with the file you extracted in step 2 and press Enter.

6. At this point you should be presented with a selection
for one of the controllers listed in the Overview (Section 1)
of this document depending on your hardware version and
configuration.

7. Highlight the selection that is appropriate for the
hardware in your system and press Enter.

8. Press Enter again to continue. Leave the USB drive in
the system until the next reboot as the software will
need to be copied from the USB Drive again when setup
is copying files.

!