Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please Help with strange problem!

Last response: in Components
July 23, 2011 7:08:51 AM

Hello,
Recently reformatted my computer (Windows 7 64 bit) to fix a few previous problems, and now have a new one.

I have the XFI Fital1ty Xtreme Gamer Edition, along with Logitech X540 speakers. I have the latest driver for Windows 7 64 bit, and have the speakers correctly connect into the sound card. I have triple checked this confirming with the online manual. My problem is that the sound positioning keeps getting all screwed up. I have it set to 5.1 in both the Creative control panel and the Windows 7 manager. I was playing Bad Company 2 for about 5 min, when all of a sudden all the sound was coming from the center and rear speakers. I go into the windows sound tester and it plays that little bing noise in the rear speakers first, then goes to the front opposite of what the animation says it should do. Then I go to music play a song, check it again and its back to normal. I have never had this happen to me before. I don't understand, I have everything connected correctly and all drivers up to date.

Now i do still have my on board card enabled, which i use specifically with an earpiece for Team Speak. But before I reformatted my PC I always used it like that without a single problem. I don't have any drivers installed for that, and it works fine for what i use it for.

If anyone can help me that would be much appreciated.

More about : strange problem

Best solution

July 23, 2011 7:26:38 AM

did some research and the only two thoughts I have
are
1) creative drivers are notoriously bad-possibly try an older version if available
sometimes latest drivers will have unknown glitches
2) try a different slot for card if possible - sometimes cards will work better in other slots-has to do with IRQ assignment though it is rare
July 23, 2011 7:31:55 AM

Ok thank you for the quick reply. Only have 1 pci slot available, but i will try the older version. I will update after i install older driver.
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2011 7:34:56 AM

try to only go one or two drivers older if possible

Just to let you know
if your device is working well do not update driver
many people think they have to constantly use updated drivers
but really if the device is performing the way it should and you are happy with it
leave the driver alone
especially video card and sound card drivers
m
l
July 23, 2011 8:06:37 AM

Ok went back to first supported windows 7 driver. First test is a good. Will have to do some gaming tomorrow and see if it wont scramble on me again.
m
l
July 23, 2011 8:20:34 AM

let me know how it works
even if it works good
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 23, 2011 8:32:24 AM

also uninstall driver onboard and try disabled sound onboard
m
l
July 23, 2011 5:55:56 PM

I have an Asus Xonar plus my Realtek onboard that both work together
well
and the OP said it the onboard and card used to work together no problem

I actually can have Windows Media Player playing on my onboard headphones while
listening to Media Center on the asus speaker output
m
l
July 23, 2011 6:01:30 PM

I have the SB Xfi Titanium, and I don't see where I can 5.1 in Win7. I can setup the speaker setup in Creative Audio Control Panel.

Maybe henydiah is right, and you need to disable the onboard sound card.
m
l
July 23, 2011 6:59:37 PM

pleasehelp said:
Ok went back to first supported windows 7 driver. First test is a good. Will have to do some gaming tomorrow and see if it wont scramble on me again.

actually if you guys read the posts
it was working okay after he followed my advice
so lets wait until he comes back and see if it is still working okay

and onboard and soundcards have no problem working together
I know that for a fact

also DXRick
go into sound under control panel
then right click your SB Xfi and select configure speakers
there you can select 5.1

m
l
July 23, 2011 8:57:50 PM

Ok everything good again. Went back to first supported windows 7 driver from Creative.

Regarding the on board and actual sound card, I never installed the drivers for the on board. So all i can do is use Windows to configure the volume, etc. Works fine, no problems.

Thanks for the advice all.
m
l
July 23, 2011 8:58:08 PM

Best answer selected by Pleasehelp.
m
l
July 23, 2011 9:10:11 PM

thank you for selecting me as best answer

BTW Win7 installed its own drivers for onboard either generic or OEM WDM
drivers
wouldnt work without them :) 
m
l
July 24, 2011 12:21:16 AM

Thank you for replying so quick. I absolutely love my card, just disappointed with the drivers for it.
m
l
July 24, 2011 12:22:38 AM

Thank you for replying so quick. I absolutely love my card, just disappointed with the drivers for it.
m
l
July 24, 2011 2:10:43 AM

Yes that has been Creative's downfall for years
Main reason I bought an Asus card instead
Creative used to the number one card and now
Auzentech and Asus are doing better
m
l
July 25, 2011 4:04:29 AM

Thank you for selecting me as Best Answer
Please dont be a stranger :)