Solved

Please Help with strange problem!

Hello,
Recently reformatted my computer (Windows 7 64 bit) to fix a few previous problems, and now have a new one.

I have the XFI Fital1ty Xtreme Gamer Edition, along with Logitech X540 speakers. I have the latest driver for Windows 7 64 bit, and have the speakers correctly connect into the sound card. I have triple checked this confirming with the online manual. My problem is that the sound positioning keeps getting all screwed up. I have it set to 5.1 in both the Creative control panel and the Windows 7 manager. I was playing Bad Company 2 for about 5 min, when all of a sudden all the sound was coming from the center and rear speakers. I go into the windows sound tester and it plays that little bing noise in the rear speakers first, then goes to the front opposite of what the animation says it should do. Then I go to music play a song, check it again and its back to normal. I have never had this happen to me before. I don't understand, I have everything connected correctly and all drivers up to date.

Now i do still have my on board card enabled, which i use specifically with an earpiece for Team Speak. But before I reformatted my PC I always used it like that without a single problem. I don't have any drivers installed for that, and it works fine for what i use it for.

If anyone can help me that would be much appreciated.
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about please strange problem
  1. Best answer
    did some research and the only two thoughts I have
    are
    1) creative drivers are notoriously bad-possibly try an older version if available
    sometimes latest drivers will have unknown glitches
    2) try a different slot for card if possible - sometimes cards will work better in other slots-has to do with IRQ assignment though it is rare
  2. Ok thank you for the quick reply. Only have 1 pci slot available, but i will try the older version. I will update after i install older driver.
  3. try to only go one or two drivers older if possible

Just to let you know
    if your device is working well do not update driver
    many people think they have to constantly use updated drivers
    but really if the device is performing the way it should and you are happy with it
    leave the driver alone
    especially video card and sound card drivers
  4. Ok went back to first supported windows 7 driver. First test is a good. Will have to do some gaming tomorrow and see if it wont scramble on me again.
  5. let me know how it works
    even if it works good
  6. also uninstall driver onboard and try disabled sound onboard
  7. I have an Asus Xonar plus my Realtek onboard that both work together
    well
    and the OP said it the onboard and card used to work together no problem

I actually can have Windows Media Player playing on my onboard headphones while
    listening to Media Center on the asus speaker output
  8. I have the SB Xfi Titanium, and I don't see where I can 5.1 in Win7. I can setup the speaker setup in Creative Audio Control Panel.

Maybe henydiah is right, and you need to disable the onboard sound card.
  9. pleasehelp said:
    Ok went back to first supported windows 7 driver. First test is a good. Will have to do some gaming tomorrow and see if it wont scramble on me again.

actually if you guys read the posts
    it was working okay after he followed my advice
    so lets wait until he comes back and see if it is still working okay

and onboard and soundcards have no problem working together
    I know that for a fact

also DXRick
    go into sound under control panel
    then right click your SB Xfi and select configure speakers
    there you can select 5.1
  10. Ok everything good again. Went back to first supported windows 7 driver from Creative.

Regarding the on board and actual sound card, I never installed the drivers for the on board. So all i can do is use Windows to configure the volume, etc. Works fine, no problems.

Thanks for the advice all.
  11. Best answer selected by Pleasehelp.
  12. thank you for selecting me as best answer

BTW Win7 installed its own drivers for onboard either generic or OEM WDM
    drivers
    wouldnt work without them :)
  13. Thank you for replying so quick. I absolutely love my card, just disappointed with the drivers for it.
  14. Thank you for replying so quick. I absolutely love my card, just disappointed with the drivers for it.
  15. Yes that has been Creative's downfall for years
    Main reason I bought an Asus card instead
    Creative used to the number one card and now
    Auzentech and Asus are doing better
  16. Thank you for selecting me as Best Answer
    Please dont be a stranger :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Windows 7 Speakers Components