Mobo for this build

For some reason this thread was posted in the wrong sub category, but

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good mobo for my build. I need it to be somewhat budgeted. The components I have picked are as follows:

1) Sandy Bridge i5-2500k
2)XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
3)G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM
4) I am unsure about a PSU and Case as well so if any one has suggestions throw them at me

I have to have the 16 Gb of mem because I need it to run a program for my research. Other then that I am open to any suggestions
56 answers Last reply
More about mobo build
  1. MOBO:
    ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 $122
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

    ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z $180
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131806

    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 $209
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

    ASRock Z68 Professional Gen3 $260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263


    Case: Coolermaster HAF922 or 912 are popular for good air flow.
    cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX or CM Hyper 212 EVO

    PSU: These are 3 of the highest rated PSU's in the 600W range
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%204027%20600038000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=58%7C17%2D182%2D071%5E17%2D182%2D071%2DTS%2C17%2D151%2D095%5E17%2D151%2D095%2DTS%2C17%2D139%2D020%5E17%2D139%2D020%2DTS

    Those are great boards for overclocking and future proof with Gen3 for PCI-e 3.0 with IVB CPU.
    You said "somewhat budgeted" but didn't indicate your preferred range so one of those should fit your budget well.

    Great choice for RAM, and the ASUS Pro/Gen3 board is on their list of supported boards.
    The 4th board choice is there in case you really want to go for it with OC'ing.
  2. sharkbyte5150 said:
    MOBO:
    ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 $122
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

    ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z $180
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131806

    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 $209
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

    ASRock Z68 Professional Gen3 $260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263


    Case: Coolermaster HAF922 or 912 are popular for good air flow.
    cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX or CM Hyper 212 EVO

    PSU: These are 3 of the highest rated PSU's in the 600W range
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%204027%20600038000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=58%7C17%2D182%2D071%5E17%2D182%2D071%2DTS%2C17%2D151%2D095%5E17%2D151%2D095%2DTS%2C17%2D139%2D020%5E17%2D139%2D020%2DTS

    Those are great boards for overclocking and future proof with Gen3 for PCI-e 3.0 with IVB CPU.
    You said "somewhat budgeted" but didn't indicate your preferred range so one of those should fit your budget well.

    Great choice for RAM, and the ASUS Pro/Gen3 board is on their list of supported boards.
    The 4th board choice is there in case you really want to go for it with OC'ing.



    I was thinking of the ASrock mobo I just didn't know if I could trust the brand to be honest. I read a few bad things about it on newegg, and for what I mean "somewhat bugeted" I was aiming for a mobo under $150
  3. Foxrage2 said:
    I was thinking of the ASrock mobo I just didn't know if I could trust the brand to be honest. I read a few bad things about it on newegg, and for what I mean "somewhat bugeted" I was aiming for a mobo under $150

    I would not go with the RAM, as it is 1.35V.

    U should go with 1.5V recommended by Intel.
  4. I recommend CORSAIR Vengeance 99% of the time, quality RAM and low profile with XMP profile. And if u will get an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile is the worry free remedy with perfect fit with any large cooler.
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233198Vengeance Low Profile heat spreaders have a reduced height of 1.03" (26.25mm). They're designed for high-performance systems with extra-large CPU coolers, small form factor system builds, or any other space-constrained application where standard Vengeance memory might not fit.
  5. sharkbyte5150 said:
    MOBO:
    ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 $122
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

    ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z $180
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131806

    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 $209
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

    ASRock Z68 Professional Gen3 $260
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157263


    Case: Coolermaster HAF922 or 912 are popular for good air flow.
    cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX or CM Hyper 212 EVO

    PSU: These are 3 of the highest rated PSU's in the 600W range
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%204027%20600038000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=58%7C17%2D182%2D071%5E17%2D182%2D071%2DTS%2C17%2D151%2D095%5E17%2D151%2D095%2DTS%2C17%2D139%2D020%5E17%2D139%2D020%2DTS

    Those are great boards for overclocking and future proof with Gen3 for PCI-e 3.0 with IVB CPU.
    You said "somewhat budgeted" but didn't indicate your preferred range so one of those should fit your budget well.

    Great choice for RAM, and the ASUS Pro/Gen3 board is on their list of supported boards.
    The 4th board choice is there in case you really want to go for it with OC'ing.


    my vote goes to P8Z68-V PRO if OP can afford otherwise extreme3/gen3 is a solid board too.same is with case,922 is great but 912 can also get the job done very well.for cooler hyper 212 EVO.from psu,rosewill capstone gold 650w is the best choice.top notch quality and a reasonable price tag.
  6. This mobo is great for the money.
    ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Average Rating
    (110 reviews)
    Write a Review
    PCIE3.0, BT GO!,USB3.0 Boost, Intel LAN support

    In stock.

    was: $189.99$179.99 = FREE SHIPPING
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792
  7. ^+1.'PRO' has only a few more ports.
  8. Not too much of a fan of the cosair RAM, especially because the g.skill ripjaws X are contoured to the i series.
  9. Actually that is what I have, so I can say it OC past 5.1GHz and it is stable and never had an issue : )

    I keep that at 4.5GHz and it is running 24/7.

    I am not a gamer, so I don't need another PCIE x16 slots.

    But the mobo works just fine.
  10. Foxrage2 said:
    Not too much of a fan of the cosair RAM, especially because the g.skill ripjaws X are contoured to the i series.

    But, get 1.5V
  11. nikorr said:
    But, get 1.5V


    okay will do, just curious though what kind of effects can the lower voltage ram have? I read a whole bunch of stuff that said it was good, and had no real big impact on the performance.
  12. It should work fine in most cases,

    but some mobos may have problems and it voids warranty for SB second gen CPU's.
  13. nikorr said:
    It should work fine in most cases,

    but some mobos may have problems and it voids warranty for SB second gen CPU's.


    Good man, thanks for looking out. I will make sure I order the 1.5V series. Another question I would like to ask is should I sacrifice the performance of my case for the looks? Like I have my eyes on a case I just want to make sure I am not screwing the pooch.

    1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146069
    2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133189

    like one of those?
  14. crcuial ballixtix sports 8gb 1600mhz is a great kit for it's price.they have very low failure rates.
  15. hellfire24 said:
    crcuial ballixtix sports 8gb 1600mhz is a great kit for it's price.they have very low failure rates.


    It might be a good price for the 8Gb kit but I have to have a minimum of 16gb for one of the programs that I need to run. It is the minimum amount of ram that is needed for the program. Other then that program I would be stopping at 8gb.
  16. you can also grab a 16gb kit.
  17. I like that Thermaltake V9 BlacX Flex Edition

    I like it for the SATA slots and black design and decent cooling set up.


  18. but some say only a few thermaltake cases are good and V9 is not one of them(correct me if i am wrong).
  19. - Tool-free installation for 5.25", 3.5"drives and PCI devices

    - Long graphic card supported including Radeon HD 5970



  20. hellfire24 said:
    but some say only a few thermaltake cases are good and V9 is not one of them(correct me if i am wrong).

    Some say. It is just opinion. I build one PC with this one ($50) and it was what I expected.

    Not loud, good temps and easy to put it together.

    Sure there are better ones, but more $$$ are needed.

    Also, if u will ask 10 people, u will get 10 opinions : )

    I am not the one to prove one over the other.

    I would give it 7.5 out of 10

    BTW, did u see the case in real hellfire24?
  21. no,but my brother has a armour+ and it's great.a bit loud,not the best but still better than others.i got same opinion for level 10gt.for $50,912 is a great choice.it's a bit short but still a good case for it's price tag.
  22. Yeah.

    I am looking now for a case, thinking that I will make one by myself.

    That is my dilemma : ))

    There are some nice cases out there for sure.

    I like quiet cases.
  23. ^that's a clever idea!
  24. Foxrage2 said:
    Good man, thanks for looking out. I will make sure I order the 1.5V series. Another question I would like to ask is should I sacrifice the performance of my case for the looks? Like I have my eyes on a case I just want to make sure I am not screwing the pooch.

    1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146069
    2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133189

    like one of those?



    I like Thermaltake cases, built a server in the V4.
    I'm currently using the Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus.
    The HAF (High Air Flow) are popular because of, well, air flow.

    The ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 is a solid board for OC'ing and more in your budget, I just like ASUS and there are a few other Z68 ASUS boards below the Pro/Gen3 that are under 150 if you're more comfortable with that brand but many on here will tell you that the ASRock Z68 boards are solid.

    Regarding the RAM comments, I understand the voltage issue differently as voltage OVER 1.5V and RAM with higher than 1333 is really what voids the warranty. That 1.35V Dual Channel kit is on the supported RAM list for the V Pro/Gen3 ASUS board.

    Some more info on the issue:
    Memory Voltage: As with LGA1366 and LGA1156 CPUs, keep this value to within 0.5V of the VCCIO voltage to prevent long term damage to the CPU. By default, this is 1.1V, which means the 1.65V used by previous Intel DDR3 memory is still acceptable. However, more recent memory will be rated at 1.5V (or even 1.35V if you choose a low-voltage kit). Increasing the VCCIO voltage obviously gives you more overhead on your memory voltage (remember, add +0.5V at most or risk damaging your CPU).

    Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP): XMP is a safe memory overclock profile that's saved on the memory modules themselves. Beware that some motherboards might not handle the XMP settings of older DIMMs designed for LGA1156 systems. If you are carrying over an old set of memory, save your BIOS settings before using XMP and then check the voltages that are automatically applied.
  25. hellfire24 said:



    All great choices in that price range, I'd say bang for the buck goes to the HAF 912
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

    This is the case I'll be going with for my build, same price and I like the streamlined look
    It has the big side window and front fan of that Thermaltake case you like.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119256
  26. yeah!912 is one hell of a good case.
  27. hellfire24 said:
    you can also grab a 16gb kit.


    Yeah but for a 16gb kit I am looking at like $135 which is a little more then I wanted to spend for mem.
  28. then get this one-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233197
    low profile,1600mhz,1.5v,it's a great kit for your setup.
  29. I'm confused, Fox already has 16GB of RAM selected, and it's much less than $135.

    On that subject, here are two other kits that are much more highly rated and have better compatibility. Sandy Bridge likes 1.5V.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2040000147%20600006073%20600006127&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=147%7C20%2D145%2D347%5E20%2D145%2D347%2DTS%2C20%2D231%2D429%5E20%2D231%2D429%2DTS
  30. ^both are good,it's a personal choice.i aim for a reliable brand for ram.corsair,gskill,mushkin,kingston,geil,etc. are good IMO.it's a personal choice.
  31. Foxrage2 said:
    Yeah but for a 16gb kit I am looking at like $135 which is a little more then I wanted to spend for mem.

    Are u shopping in the USA?
  32. nikorr said:
    Are u shopping in the USA?


    Yes I am shopping in the US. The comment about the $135 was in reference to a crcuial ballistix sports 16gb kit from Newegg. I am more then likely going to get the g.skill ripjaws X because it is very compatible with the sandy bridge.
  33. Foxrage2 said:
    Yes I am shopping in the US. The comment about the $135 was in reference to a crcuial ballistix sports 16gb kit from Newegg. I am more then likely going to get the g.skill ripjaws X because it is very compatible with the sandy bridge.



    They are optimized for Z68/SB so definitely a great choice.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2040000147%20600006073%20600006127&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=147|20-145-347^20-145-347-TS,20-231-429^20-231-429-TS&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1vkp3i8w98vca
  34. Hey guy after all your input I would like to say thank you, I have my rig planned out. I am going to place my order on Newegg and pick up some of the stuff at microcenter because it is cheaper. So if your wondering here is the final idea.

    1) i5-2500k
    2) ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    3) XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850
    4) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4x4gb @ 1600)
    5) Rosewill Capstone 650w
    6) Coolermaster HAF 922
    7) Seagate 1TB barracuda
    8) Hitatchi 320gb backup
    9) ASUS dvd combo drive

    Thanks a lot!
  35. Foxrage2 said:
    Hey guy after all your input I would like to say thank you, I have my rig planned out. I am going to place my order on Newegg and pick up some of the stuff at microcenter because it is cheaper. So if your wondering here is the final idea.

    1) i5-2500k
    2) ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    3) XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850
    4) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4x4gb @ 1600)
    5) Rosewill Capstone 650w
    6) Coolermaster HAF 922
    7) Seagate 1TB barracuda
    8) Hitatchi 320gb backup
    9) ASUS dvd combo drive

    Thanks a lot!



    Looks like an awesome system, should last you a long time!
    Now comes the fun, the build!
  36. Foxrage2 said:
    Hey guy after all your input I would like to say thank you, I have my rig planned out. I am going to place my order on Newegg and pick up some of the stuff at microcenter because it is cheaper. So if your wondering here is the final idea.

    1) i5-2500k
    2) ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    3) XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850
    4) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4x4gb @ 1600)
    5) Rosewill Capstone 650w
    6) Coolermaster HAF 922
    7) Seagate 1TB barracuda
    8) Hitatchi 320gb backup
    9) ASUS dvd combo drive

    Thanks a lot!

    It sounds good to me.

    But why don't u get SSD?

    U will have fast PC, but without SSD, it lacks a major piece.

    Have u thought of that?
  37. nikorr said:
    It sounds good to me.

    But why don't u get SSD?

    U will have fast PC, but without SSD, it lacks a major piece.

    Have u thought of that?


    I thought of an SSD but not quite sure wheter it would be better to put my OS on it or to use it for games, so I was kinda just avoiding it because I don't know too much about them. And on the other hand my roommate is and IT major and he was bashing on them so I figured they aren't the best.
  38. Foxrage2 said:
    I thought of an SSD but not quite sure wheter it would be better to put my OS on it or to use it for games, so I was kinda just avoiding it because I don't know too much about them. And on the other hand my roommate is and IT major and he was bashing on them so I figured they aren't the best.


    I understand completely, but if his opinion means so much why didn't you go to him for build advice?
    I work at Intel and I know our 520 Cherryville SSD's are great, but even I was skeptical, never used one before, so I put the OS on my SSD and created a partition on the large TB drive and mirrored the OS on it.
    SSD's will give you better performance for gaming, definitely better than a Barracuda.

    Look around and you'll notice a large population runs OS on SSD's these days.
  39. sharkbyte5150 said:
    I understand completely, but if his opinion means so much why didn't you go to him for build advice?
    I work at Intel and I know our 520 Cherryville SSD's are great, but even I was skeptical, never used one before, so I put the OS on my SSD and created a partition on the large TB drive and mirrored the OS on it.
    SSD's will give you better performance for gaming, definitely better than a Barracuda.

    Look around and you'll notice a large population runs OS on SSD's these days.


    It doesn't really mean anything, he is not the brightest bulb. His suggestion for a processor was an i3, and he was like oh this $40 graphics card looks good. I zoned out after that. I am mostly just nervous of a failure of the drive.
  40. Hence, mirroring the OS on the larger drive. As I said, I was just as apprehensive about moving to SSD but you'll see an overwhelming % of gamers running off SSD's these days.
  41. Foxrage2 said:
    I thought of an SSD but not quite sure wheter it would be better to put my OS on it or to use it for games, so I was kinda just avoiding it because I don't know too much about them. And on the other hand my roommate is and IT major and he was bashing on them so I figured they aren't the best.

    Look, I use the SSD for 3 years now, and what I have is Vertex2, the fastest SSD of its time. No problems, super fast, - it will knock your socks off!

    I have the 60GB version and sometimes I run out of the space and there is a 275KB left as a free space and I don't even notice the slow down at all. That is whats great. If u do a install of the win updates, and there is 35 of them to install, it is done many times faster than on regular HDD.

    U install OS on it + page file + most used programs like browser, office and all the small programs.

    Games and doc folder move on another HDD or large SSD.
  42. And people like your roommate are missing a screw in the brain.

    I always like to hear from the people that never even saw the SSD on PC.

    Right now there is another generation of SSD's out there and even faster than mine, because of the SATA3.

    SSD is a must, these days!

    Do not build a PC without one. Especially older PC's benefit from the SSD's.

    I don't even know how the busy circle looks like : )
  43. SSD is a great utility.it speeds up your computer.from boot to loading times and even antivirus scan times are also reduced by a lot.but it does increases frame rate.my rule:-
    first get the best ore components you can get than spend on utilities(like SSD or a fancy case).spending $90 on a 64gb ssd is a good idea.
  44. I will take your word for it guys, I am on my way to microcenter to pick up the motherboard, processor, and an SSD this morning
  45. So I picked up a SSD with my mobo and CPU. I got the OCZ agility 3 60gb for $35 after mir.
  46. You won't regret it.
    Just keep an eye on space.....Windows 7 is reported to take around 20GB with hibernation disabled and swap file size set to 1GB.
  47. Foxrage2 said:
    So I picked up a SSD with my mobo and CPU. I got the OCZ agility 3 60gb for $35 after mir.

    Cool, I am glad that u didn't get any cheapo one that is slow.

    This one is fast.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Build Product