Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

TV Tuner Card for Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 2:58:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'm thinking of getting either a Laptop or Desktop computer. I'd like
the ability to use a TV Tuner card/usb 2 for laptop. Then Connect my
tv to the output. I want to be able to edit out the commercials and
save to dvd+/-r.

Can a laptop handle this and if so would a 1.2mhz laptop do it or would
I need something more powerful like a desktop 2.8mhz. Also would
hyperthreading help a lot if the system had that or is that just for
running multiple apps at the same time. Also is 512mb ram ok or would
I need more.

Thanks,
Chris

More about : tuner card laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 6:20:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E168...

<socialism001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1115186305.492639.194000@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I'm thinking of getting either a Laptop or Desktop computer. I'd like
> the ability to use a TV Tuner card/usb 2 for laptop. Then Connect my
> tv to the output. I want to be able to edit out the commercials and
> save to dvd+/-r.
>
> Can a laptop handle this and if so would a 1.2mhz laptop do it or would
> I need something more powerful like a desktop 2.8mhz. Also would
> hyperthreading help a lot if the system had that or is that just for
> running multiple apps at the same time. Also is 512mb ram ok or would
> I need more.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 16, 2005 2:00:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E168...
>
>
> Very cool above!!
>
> Anyone have real life experience with it?

Reading the system requirements it appears likely that it uses software
encoding--that takes a fast machine. A Hauppauge PVR-USB2 is a good deal
bulkier but it has hardware encoding and needs a lot less CPU.

Another external worth a look is
<http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinfo.php?lc_code=OnAir...;
but note that it seems to be out of production.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
May 16, 2005 12:54:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>>http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E168...
>>
>>
>> Very cool above!!
>>
>> Anyone have real life experience with it?
>
>Reading the system requirements it appears likely that it uses software
>encoding--that takes a fast machine. A Hauppauge PVR-USB2 is a good deal
>bulkier but it has hardware encoding and needs a lot less CPU.

Thanks.... did not know that! Yes id definitely want
hardware encoding.
May 16, 2005 12:56:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>> Anyone have real life experience with it?
>
>Reading the system requirements it appears likely that it uses software

how did you determine that? I'm curious
May 16, 2005 2:30:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:
>>>Anyone have real life experience with it?
>>
>>Reading the system requirements it appears likely that it uses software
>
>
> how did you determine that? I'm curious

There's something legal going on next month requiring hardware to
decode the bits in the signal that prevent you from copying material.
There's also the whole mess regarding HDTV decoding.
Maybe someone can shed light on these issues?
mike

--
Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
with links. Delete this sig when replying.
..
Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
Wanted, 12.1" LCD for Gateway Solo 5300. Samsung LT121SU-121
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2005 10:19:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>> Anyone have real life experience with it?
>>
>>Reading the system requirements it appears likely that it uses software
>
> how did you determine that? I'm curious

Mainly they say it needs a 1.5 GHz machine for MPEG recording. On my 1.4
GHz machine with a PVR-USB with hardware encoding, recording takes 16 meg
of RAM and 15% or less of the CPU--most of the time it's around 3% with
occasional peaks.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 29, 2005 10:28:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

mike wrote:

> me@privacy.net wrote:
>>>>Anyone have real life experience with it?
>>>
>>>Reading the system requirements it appears likely that it uses software
>>
>>
>> how did you determine that? I'm curious
>
> There's something legal going on next month requiring hardware to
> decode the bits in the signal that prevent you from copying material.
> There's also the whole mess regarding HDTV decoding.
> Maybe someone can shed light on these issues?

That's the "broadcast flag" and it appears to be a tempest in a teapot--it's
going to be required that new HD hardware enforce it somehow but it's my
understanding that the broadcast networks have no real intention to use it,
and if you have older hardware that doesn't enforce it nothing interesting
happens.

It is not going to apply to analog broadcast, just digital. Dvico just
brought out a new HD board that doesn't appear to have any provision to
enforce it--be interesting to see what the government does about it.

> mike
>

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
!