Single/Dual channel and speed problem

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
I have two issues. I have been learning more about memory and I have found problems in my system.

1st. I bought 1600 speed RAM and my computer reads it as 1066. I have no idea why this is happening.

2nd. I've been using CPUZ to see more of my system info and don't understand why the "channel #" box in the memory tab is faded. It's like the program can't see whether my computer is running in dual or single channel mode. As a matter of fact, none of my software can tell me if I am running in single/dual channel. Not even my bios. I would like to know so I can make the right adjustments if need be.

Thanks,
Jim

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Well I had to set the frequency to 1600 in the Bios. I had it set on auto. Thanks. I couldn't find where to enable XMP. After looking around the net I might find it in a part of the bios call AI tweek so i will look there.

Thank you for your time and the llink. Both of those helped.

Now all I need to do is find out how to solve my Dual channel problem...

Have a good one!

D

Deleted member 217926

XMP is Intel only.

You should have to make no adjustments to run in dual channel as long as you have 2 or 4 sticks of RAM. Check your motherboard manual to make sure they are in the correct slots to run in dual channel if you only have 2 sticks.

Dual channel sounds impressive but in the real world it gains about a 3 to 4 percent increase in performance over single channel. 2 x 2GB sticks would be 3 or 4 percent faster than a single 4GB stick.

Just make sure your RAM is set to the correct voltage, speed and timings manually in BIOS.

Two points:
1) as mentioned, read your motherboard manual. It tells you which slots to put the RAM in to work properly.

2) run MEMTEST. It will tell you what speed you're getting and diagnose that things are fine. http://www.memtest.org/

*I suspect you have everything setup correctly.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Good catch, thanks.
I didn't look in his profile to see his config, so yes, double check to see which slots to occupy for dual channel and it should work fine.

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Yes, several times. I have also updated them. For some reason it turns off or unchecks the display signature checkbox. Weird..

EDIT: Ok now it works.. I need a beat my head against something smiley..

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Thanks for the re-focus. it is all running perfectly. I'm keeping the timmings stock because of my current system. Thanks for the help. This has been a great thread.

There are too many good answers to pick one as the best. Thanks to all.