lcd vs led for gaming

STR8fknNightmare

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
:hello: Hey Guys

I'm looking to buy a 27" monitor for my gaming computer in either a LCD or LED TN Panel.

I'd appreciate your help with choosing the right Monitor

Thanks

I would think you are looking at LCD TN panel monitors with LED back lighting. I have a monitor with a LED back light and to me there is no question its better than a standard cathode back light monitor.
They do tend to advertise these monitors like they are a different thing but its only the light source at the back of the TN panel that the LED part is referring to.
Much better and more even lighting in my opinion.

A true LED ( as in the Pixels are LED ) Monitor costs a lot lot more than a TN panel.

Mactronix :)

LED is just the backlight. All "LED monitors" are edge lit which means the light is emitted from the edge of the monitor instead of directly behind it (full array). This can lead to some light bleeding at the edges. There can also be more light uniformity issues across the monitor, more than compared to traditional LCD monitors with CCFL (florescent) backlight.

LED backlight (also known as WLED) does not always produce white light. Sometimes it can produce slightly "bluish white" because blue LEDs are used with a yellows phosphorous coating to imitate white.

It is the LCD panel itself which actually determines how good a monitor is for games. All current LED backlit LCD monitors in the consumer market use TN panels which are cheap and have fast response times so they are preferred by most gamers. They don't have good viewing angles so colors can shift the more off angle you are from the center of the monitor.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008

No, there are 3 types of LED back light, one that uses LED's positioned to the edges like you mentioned, one where LED's are all over the back of the panel and the 3'rd i forgot. The most common one used is the one you mentioned.

And as an answer to the owner of this thread you can check for reviews online and opinions on different sites that sell the products you are interested in. Would you like to share with us what monitors you want to buy?

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Edge lit LED (99% of LED monitors) is a gimmick. There are small power savings and the monitors can be made thinner but they are no better in any other respect.
The thing you need to pay attention to is the quality of the matrix that is in-front of the backlight. This is more important when it comes to the quality of the monitor - and the only real way to do this is by reading proper reviews or seeing the monitors in the flesh.
xbitslabs do quality in-depth monitor reviews where they actually measure the response times, colour reproduction, artifacts generated by RTC, black quality, backlight bleed and so on. Unfortunately they seem to take quite a while to get reviews of new screens up though.