Basic rig for my dad. Comments?

miatchapalooza

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: ~$500. (I'm converting from Philippine Pesos to USD and prices differ quite a bit. We don't have great sites like Newegg over here :(

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Internet, MS office, watching movies.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: n/a. Will be buying from local computer shops.

Country of Origin: Philippines

Parts Preferences: This will run Windows 7 home.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768. I think?

Additional Comments: My old man is still using a pc he bought in 2004 so it's about time he gets an upgrade! As mentioned above, his computer needs are very basic. From checking other threads, I basically know what to get but would just like to run it by you guys to avoid any mistakes.

Here it is:

CPU: Core i3 2100
Mobo: Asus P8H61-M LE B3
RAM: RipJawsX 4gb(Dual) ddr3-1333 (F3-10666CL8D-4GBXM)
PSU: Seasonic (S12II) 500watts
Graphics card: EVGA Gt430
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 250GB
Case: Antec 300

Thanks a lot guys!

Solution
^ Agree, that build should be w/ the integrated GPU on the i3 2100, it'll sufice those needs. Also, you can grab 1TB F3 drive for like 65$. (+/- the price will be the same there i guess)
That PSU will be an overkill, look for an 420W Seasonic PSU or less. And get a H67 chipset mobo.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
the core i3 is a bit too much for the use and as there will be no gaming or high resolution monitor you should get a motherboard with built in gpu - there is no need for seperate GPU, for the CPU you could go for a c2d or a athlon II x2 cheep and great performance, the use you listed above are not intense, this cpu can even handle descent gamiung so will not be slowing the system down.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
^ Agree, that build should be w/ the integrated GPU on the i3 2100, it'll sufice those needs. Also, you can grab 1TB F3 drive for like 65$. (+/- the price will be the same there i guess)
That PSU will be an overkill, look for an 420W Seasonic PSU or less. And get a H67 chipset mobo.

Solution