Realtek or nVidia sound drivers?

danhasmail

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Hi'
I'm doing a complete reinstall of win 7 64bit on this ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme and i see that the Asus CD installs Realtek sound drivers and the CD from my MSI 470 video card also installs nVidia sound drivers. They both show up in Device manager under Sound: 4 lines say nVida and 1 line says Realtek, also there's 1 line that says Microsoft HD Audio device and 1 line says Ultravision which is my mic. My question here is....which is better?? They don't show any conflicts. And how do i know which one my music is using?? Any info on this is greatly appreciated. Live long and prosper. danny

Solution
They are all seperate/indepedent sound drivers required for each component.
The speaker icon on your desktop will allow you to choose which one you prefer for each device.
The Realtek drivers would provide the best results.
The gpu audio drivers are generally used for connecting to an external device from your pc.Like a hdtv or something.
They are all seperate/indepedent sound drivers required for each component.
The speaker icon on your desktop will allow you to choose which one you prefer for each device.
The Realtek drivers would provide the best results.
The gpu audio drivers are generally used for connecting to an external device from your pc.Like a hdtv or something.

Solution

This is not so. You cannot just select which driver you would like to use. The video card has an HDMI port. HDMI carries sound. The Nvidia audio drivers are used for this and nothing else. The Realtek drivers are for the motherboard's onboard audio. Speakers plugged into the audio jacks in the back of the computer use these.

Reactions: bobbio64