Cooling advice -- 2x 580

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busac

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
I'm planning to buy a new PC, it's been a long time since I last had a desktop (using laptops for past ~7 years) so I'm not all that up to date with current desktop technology :D. I'm looking into something like 2x GTX 580 + 1st gen i7 but I'm concerned about cooling and noise. I've read a very helpful post in one of the other threads which basically says that the default cooling will be fine if I don't plan to do any overclocking (which I don't) but I would like to know how noisy will it be. I know that fans in laptops with even slightly high end (single) GPU can be disturbingly loud, would this be an issue with the desktop 580s? Also any advice on case cooling will be appreciated, thanks!

Solution

This is a great page with comparative numbers and actual noise samples:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1061/pg23/gigabyte-nvidia-geforce-gtx-580-sli-review-power-temps-noise.html

"Overall the results are very good, with highlight being the fact that two GTX 580 in SLI are actually quieter than a single GTX 480."

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
580's are very quiet due to their revised and over-specced reference cooling design, so you don't have to worry too much. Just make sure they are at least one slot apart so the top card has some airflow to it.

Suggested cases:
Antec 902
Corsair 600T
Coolermaster HAF X
Silverstone Fortress FT02

Suggested CPU Coolers:
Prolimatech Armageddon
Corsair H70
Thermaltake Frio
Titan Fenrir

For quietness, you can also replace all system/case fans with quieter, lower RPM ones too.

You also have to remember that laptop fans are very small blower fans. Small blower fans are incredibly whiney and loud due to the fact they must spin quickly to achieve adequate airflow. The fans in a desktop are considerable larger and are mostly regular co-axial fans, and so will be considerably quieter (definately not whiney).

Stock 580's use blower fans, but due to the vapour chamber heatsink, they never have to spin very high, preserving your ears.

Busac

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the link, that's the thread I've read. My question really is how loud is a single 580 then? But since everyone says the default is pretty quiet I think I'll just go with the default.

Thanks for the suggestions Griffolion! Since I don't really want to buy this PC component by component I'm slightly inclined to get it at a site such as ibuypower or cberpowerpc. The price difference compared to newegg doesn't seem to be very big. Which CPU cooling / case would you reccomend if you had the choices here: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_X58_Configurator/ ? Also do you guys have any idea if any of that noise absorbing foam / anti-vibration fans etc really help?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/gefo [...] li-review/

Average dual card scaling across all benchmarks at 1920x1200:
580: 1.58x

Noise levels (vs. single card)
580: 46 Dba (+5 Dba)

GPU Temps (vs. single card)
580: 90c (+3c)

Busac

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Yes yes I know, I really did read that thread :). But I have no idea what those noise numbers actually mean, I guess I'm looking for some subjective opinion.

EDIT:

Hm actually I did a bit of research and it seems that 46+5=51 dB is actually pretty loud :p. Is there any way to reduce this?

This is a great page with comparative numbers and actual noise samples:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1061/pg23/gigabyte-nvidia-geforce-gtx-580-sli-review-power-temps-noise.html

"Overall the results are very good, with highlight being the fact that two GTX 580 in SLI are actually quieter than a single GTX 480."

Solution
I'd use a full tower combo w/ 1000 watt PSO

Antec DF-85 w/ CP-1000 ($310)
HAF-X w/ Corsair HX1000 ($415)

Both should be equipped with the optional case door fan when adding the 2nd GFX card.

The top 5 coolers on the 155/1156/13366 platform are:

Cooler Master V6 GT
Prolimatech Megahalems
Thermalright Venomous X
ScytheMugen 2 Rev B
Antec Kuhler 620

Status
Not open for further replies.