Switch between two Graphics Cards

Hello,

First, i wanna make clear that i know my question is actually NOT a SLI/ Crossfire question, still, i thought this category might be the right one.

I want to switch between two graphics cards, one is a Nvidia 9600GT and the other a Quadro FX 3500.
I have a i7 920 on a Biostar board with two X16 PCI-Express Lanes.

When my wife is doing her work on the computer, being an architect, she uses the Quadro. I like to play a game every now and then, so i want to use the 9600 GT.

By now, what i did is: Just swapped the cards phisically. Take out the Quadro, built in the 9600 GT, install the drivers and then i do the Reverse thing when i get back to the Quadro. It worked just fine, and with the CPU, my 9600 GT was still good enough to play recent games like Black ops maxed out.

NOW MY QUESTION:

Is there a way, has anyone ever done that, to leave both Cards on the board? I could build in another Hard Drive, then have a bootmanager start with whichever configuration i want, the WORK, or the GAMES installation.

Will the operating system (WIN 7) take that? Install the forceware driver on the GAME system, the quadro driver on the WORK, and then it will automatically take the appropriate Card?

To me, in my logic understanding, this wont work. Wont it simply take the card on the First slot? for it is possible to use the Quadro with the forceware drivers, it will simply recognise it as a 7600 or something, i have seen that.

Any ideas/ opininon/ experience, anyone how that could be done if at all?

Would surely be appreciated and spare me the work of physically interchanging between the cards all the time!

Thanks a lot on advance,

Take care,
2 answers Last reply
More about switch graphics cards
  1. the cavester said:
    Hello,

First, i wanna make clear that i know my question is actually NOT a SLI/ Crossfire question, still, i thought this category might be the right one.

I want to switch between two graphics cards, one is a Nvidia 9600GT and the other a Quadro FX 3500.
    I have a i7 920 on a Biostar board with two X16 PCI-Express Lanes.

When my wife is doing her work on the computer, being an architect, she uses the Quadro. I like to play a game every now and then, so i want to use the 9600 GT.

By now, what i did is: Just swapped the cards phisically. Take out the Quadro, built in the 9600 GT, install the drivers and then i do the Reverse thing when i get back to the Quadro. It worked just fine, and with the CPU, my 9600 GT was still good enough to play recent games like Black ops maxed out.

NOW MY QUESTION:

Is there a way, has anyone ever done that, to leave both Cards on the board? I could build in another Hard Drive, then have a bootmanager start with whichever configuration i want, the WORK, or the GAMES installation.

Will the operating system (WIN 7) take that? Install the forceware driver on the GAME system, the quadro driver on the WORK, and then it will automatically take the appropriate Card?

To me, in my logic understanding, this wont work. Wont it simply take the card on the First slot? for it is possible to use the Quadro with the forceware drivers, it will simply recognise it as a 7600 or something, i have seen that.

Any ideas/ opininon/ experience, anyone how that could be done if at all?

Would surely be appreciated and spare me the work of physically interchanging between the cards all the time!

Thanks a lot on advance,

Take care,

I have EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM! It's good to know someone else in this world wants to use both the Quadro and the GeForce together.

"Let me start off by setting straight that I DO NOT want to use these two cards at the same time, but I'd like to know whether I could switch between the two. I know they are two completely different cards, but I'm a video editor AND an occasional gamer.

I would like to use the Quadro 2000 when I do video editing (Full HD with many FX) but I'd also like to be able to play Crysis 2 and TrackMania at a 1920x1080 resolution using a EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked. I'd like to use the Quadro for video editing because the Render speeds are very fast.

In basic, I'd like to use completely different cards at different times, once when I want to game, and at other times when I want to do video editing."

I hope that this problem is solvable... :o
  2. Doesn't Win7 allow you to install more than one graphics driver at a time? I know you can use AMD and nVidia cards and drivers together, but I haven't tried nVidia + nVidia Quadro drivers. If you have a spare drive to play with, here is what I would try:

Install Win7 on it. The 9600 should be on the first slot, and the Quadro on the second. Then I'd install GeForce drivers, then Quadro drivers. I'd connect the monitor to the 9600.

Now the question is, will the software your wife uses be able use the Quadro card even if it's not the main display, just like you can use a dedicated PhysX card? It's worth a shot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Quadro Graphics