AMD cpu unlocking ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

UhavbenkildbyGW

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hi guys, I recently built myself a new computer around a amd x3 435 processor and a asus m4A78LT-M motherboard. At first I was hesitant to use the asus core unlocking as this is the fastest computer I've ever had and it was fast enough for me, I also read that there was a very small chance you could do damage to your processor, but that core unlocking just kept calling my name.
Two days ago I was feeling pretty lucky and hit it and it worked! It actually shows up now as a phenom x4 on cpuz, AOD and in my bios. My question is that this motherboard is rated at 125TDP and in cpuz it says my cpu is 126TDP... is there a chance this could be a problem? Also, can I still try to overclock this processor when I get a better cooler being this close to the max TDP on this motherboard? One more question... When I upgrade my motherboard will this processor automatically show up as a phenom x4?

Solution
Damage is pretty rare, I think.....

As above check for true stability with Prime 95 and OCCT.

Unlocking a CPU disables most monitoring software, the only way to be sure is to load up programs like Coretemp and HWmonitor then run a stress test like OCCT.

Watch the temps being reported and watch for the one that increases when the stress test kicks in, that will be your cpu temp.

I'd always recommend a decent aftermarket cooler, OC or not for cooler, quieter operation.
No. Leave it alone for awhile. Cpu-z and other software isn't always accurate for all boards and all readings. Use a hardware monitor program such as coretemp and check your temps. And no; when you change boards, you have to do the same procedure again. Unlocking the core is a software setting. It's not permanent.

Damage is pretty rare, I think.....

As above check for true stability with Prime 95 and OCCT.

Unlocking a CPU disables most monitoring software, the only way to be sure is to load up programs like Coretemp and HWmonitor then run a stress test like OCCT.

Watch the temps being reported and watch for the one that increases when the stress test kicks in, that will be your cpu temp.

I'd always recommend a decent aftermarket cooler, OC or not for cooler, quieter operation.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.