Importance of Hard Drive speed to Performance

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 2:31:50 PM

Hello,

I am contemplating a laptop purchase and I was wondering how much
weight I should give to the rotational speed of the hard drive. I
currently have a Toshiba with a 4200 rpm drive and I encounter a lot of
pauses while the drive spins up to access data. I have the choice of
buying a Thinkpad with a 5400 rpm drive or spending about $250 more to
get one with a 7200 rpm drive. Both drives are Ultra ATA.

What performance gains could I expect with a 7200 rpm drive versus a
5400 rpm? I am trying to see if it is worth the extra money. Thanks!

- Dwok
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 4:25:41 PM

dwok wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am contemplating a laptop purchase and I was wondering how much
> weight I should give to the rotational speed of the hard drive. I
> currently have a Toshiba with a 4200 rpm drive and I encounter a lot
> of pauses while the drive spins up to access data. I have the choice
> of buying a Thinkpad with a 5400 rpm drive or spending about $250
> more to get one with a 7200 rpm drive. Both drives are Ultra ATA.
>
> What performance gains could I expect with a 7200 rpm drive versus a
> 5400 rpm? I am trying to see if it is worth the extra money. Thanks!
>
> - Dwok

$250 for a 7200rpm drive is outrageous! Look at the offerings for
notebook drives at www.newegg.com for just one example. With new
laptops a 4200rpm drive will be a significant performance bottleneck,
IMO; a 7200rpm drive will be a noticeable improvement. If the drive is
easily removed -typically in a slide-out carraige- it is usually just a
matter of a few minutes to swap a new, faster drive. Buy an external
enclosure for the stock drive, USB2 and/or Firewire (whatever the laptop
supports) for an additional $30.

a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 10:13:23 PM

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:LNOdnaoY8Y40juTfRVn-2A@comcast.com...
> dwok wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am contemplating a laptop purchase and I was wondering how much
>> weight I should give to the rotational speed of the hard drive. I
>> currently have a Toshiba with a 4200 rpm drive and I encounter a lot
>> of pauses while the drive spins up to access data. I have the choice
>> of buying a Thinkpad with a 5400 rpm drive or spending about $250
>> more to get one with a 7200 rpm drive. Both drives are Ultra ATA.
>>
>> What performance gains could I expect with a 7200 rpm drive versus a
>> 5400 rpm? I am trying to see if it is worth the extra money. Thanks!
>>
>> - Dwok
>
> $250 for a 7200rpm drive is outrageous! Look at the offerings for
> notebook drives at www.newegg.com for just one example. With new
> laptops a 4200rpm drive will be a significant performance bottleneck,
> IMO; a 7200rpm drive will be a noticeable improvement. If the drive is
> easily removed -typically in a slide-out carraige- it is usually just a
> matter of a few minutes to swap a new, faster drive. Buy an external
> enclosure for the stock drive, USB2 and/or Firewire (whatever the laptop
> supports) for an additional $30.

Google again bw?

!