Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Getting a 6970, worth the price?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2011 8:23:49 AM

I'm going to be upgrading my old 4870 with a Sapphire 6970 soon, and I was wondering, is this card worth the price? I'm looking to build a decent rig, and I'll also be installing an AMD Phenom 965 Black Edition (3.4 GHZ quad)

But I was torn on graphics cards, really. While I could splurge and just get a 5970, I was told by a friend of mine that the 6970 is basically an overall better card compared to the 5870, mostly due to benchmarks, power consumption, etc.

More about : 6970 worth price

February 18, 2011 12:14:41 PM

6970 is a beast. go for it. gtx570 is another option at that level.
Score
February 18, 2011 2:37:34 PM

Really? Hum, I'll keep that in mind. The benchmarks are promising, though I'm still not set in stone about it.
Score
Related resources
February 18, 2011 2:42:14 PM

a 6970 is a better overall card then a 5870, but if you are only running a single card, I would definatley get a gtx 570 over a 6970...

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Sub...

this evga gtx 570 is only 314 AR and 344 before rebate making it cheaper than most gtx 570s.... overall I would say the gtx 570 is a better card if you do not plan on doing crossfire, that it
Score
February 18, 2011 2:47:10 PM

Naw, not planning on crossfiring, just looking for a DX11 card thats going to be able to run most games okay (bad company 2, L4D2, etc.) and the new ones coming out >> (Skyrim, Bulletstorm, Etc :p )

edit: One thing I am curious about though, how big of a performance upgrade is the 6970 from a 4870? Since my card is starting to show its age a bit. >>
Score
February 18, 2011 3:21:47 PM

look at some benchmarks its faster than a 5870 by a decent margin and two 4870s is roughly a 5870, but trust me when I say that if you are running only a single card get the gtx 570 it is on par with the 6970 and beats it most of the time...

look at these reviews which include benchamarks to get a feel for performance:
this particular one is a review from toms hardware on the 6970
what are your full system specs so I know that you will be able to take advantage of such a card..

in the end i still say get the gtx 570, although the 6970 is no slouch
Score
February 18, 2011 3:25:00 PM

No, get a HD 6950 with 2gb memory and unlock the shaders.
Score
February 18, 2011 4:15:25 PM

Between the gtx570 and HD6970, I prefer the HD6970, but all things being equal, if you like PhysX and have a few games that support GPU accelerated PhysX, the gtx570 is a good option. However, there are only about 20ish games that fall into that category and there a good chance you aren't using physX.

On the other hand, the 6970 at a similar cost, gives you MLAA, which I use on a lot of my games, as it seems that more and more RPG's don't work with AA or have weird effects with normal MSAA. MLAA works on any game, it's like a low quality SSAA, which is also supported officially, which looks a lot better than without. Nvidia lacks this.
Score
February 18, 2011 5:13:22 PM

Quote:
Nvidia has better image quality all around compared to amd. Don't believe me? Check your catalyst settings. They're all set to performance and not to quality.

I have been using both Nvidia and ATI, and they have almost identical image quality.

No, I do not set my CCC options to performance, I turn the image quality all the way up.

In fact, ATI has much better image quality with video playback, and even with normal max image quality, the 5000 series had higher image quality than the 200 series Nvidia cards (I have not seen anything comparing them since then).

However, due to ATI's better AA options, I get much better visual quality with ATI in many games, if not most.
Score
February 18, 2011 5:25:44 PM

"However, due to ATI's better AA options, I get much better visual quality with ATI in many games, if not most."

Can you provide a link comparing AMD's anti-aliasing to nvidia's or do you just like to blow smoke out of your huge asshole?

Weren't you the retard who claimed that AMD has the advantage of MLAA and SSAA compared to nvidia?
Score
February 18, 2011 5:27:13 PM

The hd6950 can unlock into a hd6970. It would save you money, but be like a HUGE OC! You could probably even unlock, and then OC a little bit too.
Score
February 18, 2011 5:41:53 PM

Quote:
Nvidia has better image quality all around compared to amd. Don't believe me? Check your catalyst settings. They're all set to performance and not to quality.

All of my ATI drivers defaulted to quality, but not "high quality".

anyway, I would save your money. Get a 6950 or a 6870, but both ATI and nVidia are releasing 28nm chips this fall/winter.

nVidia said GPUs from both camps are expected to increase in performance by 2x per year for the next four years. This reason for this abnormally high increase in speed is we have been stuck at 40nm for quite a long time.

The next 4 years will be like going from a 4800 to a 6900 every year. I would not spend too much money.
Score
February 18, 2011 6:13:30 PM

HostileDonut said:
The hd6950 can unlock into a hd6970. It would save you money, but be like a HUGE OC! You could probably even unlock, and then OC a little bit too.

It runs pretty hot when unlocked though (I got around 50 degrees C with automatic fan control on idle (which does not seem to properly work))
Making me go to 45% manual fan control which makes the computer pretty audible and this is all while it's idle.....
45% manual fan control locked bios is enough to keep the temp up about 50C with crysis running very high. I personally don't agree that the noise offsets the performance gain.
Will test again tomorrow when my system has properly cooled down to see if it was just a fluke.
Score
February 18, 2011 6:26:58 PM

minitron815 said:
"However, due to ATI's better AA options, I get much better visual quality with ATI in many games, if not most."

Can you provide a link comparing AMD's anti-aliasing to nvidia's or do you just like to blow smoke out of your huge asshole?

Weren't you the retard who claimed that AMD has the advantage of MLAA and SSAA compared to nvidia?

Wow, what crawled up your ass.

Here is an article about MLAA: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/02/amd_morpholog...

Why don't you provide a link to Nvidia having MLAA? As it doesn't exist, there is no way to show you comparisons, unless you can provide a link where Nvidia does have MLAA (Morphological Anti-Aliasing).

Why don't you provide a link where Nvidia's control panel has SSAA on anything but transparencies?

You won't find either, so it's rather tough for me to compare against something that doesn't exist. I do know that Nvidia does have 3rd party programs that offer a version of SSAA, but no where do they have MLAA.
Score
February 18, 2011 6:29:46 PM

Mrsh4dy said:
It runs pretty hot when unlocked though (I got around 50 degrees C with automatic fan control on idle (which does not seem to properly work))
Making me go to 45% manual fan control which makes the computer pretty audible and this is all while it's idle.....
45% manual fan control locked bios is enough to keep the temp up about 50C with crysis running very high. I personally don't agree that the noise offsets the performance gain.
Will test again tomorrow when my system has properly cooled down to see if it was just a fluke.

That idle temp sounds like you run with a 2nd monitor. I have the same setup, OC'ed to 910 and I'm idling at 34C with a 30% fan speed. Either way, 50C isn't a problem.
Score
February 18, 2011 6:30:59 PM

I got lucky with my XFX6950.

Not only did it unlock with the 6950 mod(not the 6970 flash, I wanted stock voltages), but I'm running 910/1420 with only a 1.08v core and 1.5v memory. At 100% load, it doesn't break 45% fan speed at 51c.

Yes, I'm under-volting it at 910mhz with the unlock. It actually was playable at 1.065v, but I didn't want to have my driver crash mid game. Just soft crashes, so it just returns to desktop saying the device stopped responding, but it kicks me out of game.

I'm going to try to see how far I can OC it tonight at stock voltages. My highest was 930/1500 with stock, but I just wanted to play games that night, so I down clocked it to 910/1420. I'll be doing further testing in a few hours.
Score
February 18, 2011 6:36:14 PM

bystander said:
That idle temp sounds like you run with a 2nd monitor. I have the same setup, OC'ed to 910 and I'm idling at 34C with a 30% fan speed. Either way, 50C isn't a problem.

I do have 2 monitors(tv/monitor) connected but have 1 disabled . And though 50C isn't bad it's not under load, makes me worry how hot it would get under high load. Also it was still going up when I set the manual fan on 35. Then again I did get 13% usage spikes which is also a reason I'm gonna retest tomorrow.
Score
February 18, 2011 6:45:18 PM

well I still say get the gtx 570 the 2 gigs of memory will not give you extra performance at this point in time..
Score
February 18, 2011 6:47:14 PM

If you have two monitors hooked up, the idle clock speeds will not be as low. If you disable the 2nd monitor, you have to reinstall the drivers for it to set the idle clocks to the normal low idle speeds. That is why your idling is higher than you'd expect. That change doesn't effect load temps, however.

It just doesn't down clock the memory to 300 mhz, instead it runs at normal speeds ~1275-1375.
Score
February 18, 2011 6:52:18 PM

hmmm oke will try, thanks.
Score
February 18, 2011 6:54:48 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!