Sign in with
Your question

Difference between a blue memory dimm slot and brown

Last response: in Motherboards
April 5, 2012 8:02:40 PM

Hello,
I have a pavillion desktop with 4 mem slots 2 blue nd 2 regular brown. I wante to increase the ram fro the 2GB I had to ^GB. I added the @x2GB in the remainig slots, got a beep...removed the dimms and installed the 2x2GB in the blue slots now it reads that memry size, but the addition of 2x1GB in the brown slots does not work?
April 5, 2012 8:16:02 PM

They are just color coded to correspond to the memory channel. For example, for performance reasons you would want to populate your memory on the same channel (color).
m
l
April 5, 2012 8:17:18 PM

What's the model number of the computer you have?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2012 8:22:57 PM

adamaia said:
Hello,
I have a pavillion desktop with 4 mem slots 2 blue nd 2 regular brown. I wante to increase the ram fro the 2GB I had to ^GB. I added the @x2GB in the remainig slots, got a beep...removed the dimms and installed the 2x2GB in the blue slots now it reads that memry size, but the addition of 2x1GB in the brown slots does not work?

Usually they color code like that when you have dual channel memory. Maybe the new memory is bad? Have you tried removing existing memory in the blue slots and replacing them with the new memory? You need to get the manual for the PC to see what memory is supported and whats the max amount.
m
l
!