I5 2500k Brand New Build Temp Idles high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hachi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Hey everyone :hello:
First poster here, just joined actually..
I live in New York (Horrible Summers, with humidity and such).
I just recently made a build..probably will include specs at the end.

My i5 2500k in Bios was clocked at 97C on first run (HSF/Processor Cooler) was not pushed down all the way, you have to love Intel's locking mechanism. Anyways, I finally got it down to 60C in Bios(after some moving, and some placing), and stumbled upon the fact that BIOS temps tend to be exaggerated, and inaccurate. I proceeded to install windows and used CPU-Z, and another app to measure my core temps.

I am now idling at 40C across all cores. Is this normal? I factor in the heat and such, and the stock fan which is "good" but not "great". I have not tried Load yet, and that will be my next move.

Thanks in advance for all help/suggestions posted! I've gotten great reviews and recommendations from this site!

Build (As promised)

Intel i5-2500k
Corsair Vengeange 8GB RAM
Coolermaster CM 690ii Advanced Case
Corsair EnthusiantTX750 750W PSU
ASUS GTX560 Ti GPU (1GB)
Hitatchi 1.5TB Harddrive
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard
Plus 23" ASUS 1080p Monitor

Solution
I was running 45-48 idle with no oc when I first ran my new rig with a 2500K.
I'd say you're perfectly fine. It's recommended you don't run above 80C, and in most cases (the 2500K being one), your cpu's sensors will kick in and shut the pc off.
Get a Hyper 212+, they work amazingly well. Keeps me below 61C at load.
(Overclocked to 4.5GHz)

I'd also recommend the hyper 212+ for the 2500K.
Idle temps aren't really all that important, as long as they aren't something like 80ºC (or 97ºC in the BIOS in your case). The load temps are the main concern.

Load up Prime95 for an hour, and tell us what the temps are then. Running it that long will give it time to stabilize at the higher temps, plus some of Prime95's calculations are harder than others, so an hour gives it a chance for a variety of them.

why spend what you did on decent components then use the stock cooler?

wouldnt a decent aftermarket cooler be a better idea? especially if you want to overclock it later as the 2500k is a great overclocker and really easy to overclock just by upping the multiplier

BeeBahBoo

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
I was running 45-48 idle with no oc when I first ran my new rig with a 2500K.
I'd say you're perfectly fine. It's recommended you don't run above 80C, and in most cases (the 2500K being one), your cpu's sensors will kick in and shut the pc off.
Get a Hyper 212+, they work amazingly well. Keeps me below 61C at load.
(Overclocked to 4.5GHz)

I'd also recommend the hyper 212+ for the 2500K.

Solution

Hachi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

Thank you very much! You just reassured me a lot! And I will look into the Hyper 212+

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.