Sign in with
Your question

My first gaming rig. 6790? 550ti? everything else?

Last response: in Systems
April 25, 2011 3:34:15 AM

Hi there, thanks for viewing my post :) 

First up, this is a budget build, and i am in New Zealand so my budget is $900NZD
Second, i will be (trying) to play the Crysises and Metro 2033 so thats the kind of games i play

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible

Budget Range: NZD $900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming only

Parts Not Required: Monitor, optical, keyboard/mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: NZ ones :p 

Country of Origin: New Zealand

Parts Preferences: Preferably Radeon and AMD cause they're cheaper

Overclocking: PROCESSOR - Maybe GPU- Yes

SLI or Crossfire: NO

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024

CPU - AMD Athlon X4 640 CPU LINK
MOBO- M4A78LT-M LE MOBO
RAM- Kingston 4gb ddr3-1333 RAM LINK
HDD- Hitachi DeskStar 1TB HDD LINK
Case-Antec Two Hundred CASE LINK
PSU- Huntkey Jumper 550w PSU LINK

GPU - Sapphire Radeon 6790 GFX LINK

I will be using an old spare IDE dvd drive until i can afford a blu-ray, but thats not exactly important
i will be using an old 17" CRT 1280x1024 monitor until i can afford a LCD, but thats not important either :) 

Some of you may not like the Antec Two Hundred, mainly because of its lack of features and ugliness such as PCI slot covers and cable management, but i am reluctant to change it because of its 2.5" drive bay which i can use to take the pain out of transfering files from my laptop to the system

Also huntkey is not that good a brand, but this one got an award on hardware secrets ( i think thats the site ) because its actually a 650w but they understate it so they can get the 80+ badge, and also the team who reviewed it managed to get something like 730w out of it (who knows how long for though)

So any help, critisisms, advice, reccomendations and opinions welcome

Thanks in advance

More about : gaming rig 6790 550ti

April 26, 2011 8:18:09 AM

Heres how I would $900 NZ PC

Athlon X3 445 $129
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 $190 Has a BLACK socket and can run Bulldozer processors
2 x 2 gig Kingston HyperX DDR3 Cl9/1600MHz $95
Antec 300 $80
Samsung F3 500 gig hard drive $62
Antec 500G Green psu $118

That totals $674

Leaving $226 for a gfx card .
The 5770 is more than powerful enough for the resolution of your monitor , but Id probably up the budget , spend the extra $14 and get the 6790
If you need to trim something to afford the gfx card then get an X2 processor .
m
l
April 26, 2011 10:11:12 PM

Outlander_04 said:
Heres how I would $900 NZ PC

Athlon X3 445 $129
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 $190 Has a BLACK socket and can run Bulldozer processors
2 x 2 gig Kingston HyperX DDR3 Cl9/1600MHz $95
Antec 300 $80
Samsung F3 500 gig hard drive $62
Antec 500G Green psu $118

That totals $674

Leaving $226 for a gfx card .
The 5770 is more than powerful enough for the resolution of your monitor , but Id probably up the budget , spend the extra $14 and get the 6790
If you need to trim something to afford the gfx card then get an X2 processor .

that build sounds pretty good. how much power would i lose by going for an x3? can it be unlocked to an x4?
that motherboard looks cool with usb and all that, and i suppose if the x3 got slow on me i could get a bulldozer one day:) 

also, did you use a particular website for reference?

and one more thing, can you buy 2.5" hdd dockjs that fit in a drive bay? if so do you know where i can get one, cause it would be so much easier and faster to transfer my 250gb of music and videos :) 

and you mention trimming to get an x2 instead, will this still do metro and other games without a hitch? an x2 250 costs about NZD$100 here. USD$80

m
l
Related resources
April 27, 2011 6:29:38 AM

Im a Kiwi too .

For gaming the performance of the gfx card is more important than the processor ... once you have a powerful enough processor in the first place .
Also games dont need more cores to run well . Few games get any benefit from the fourth core .

That mb is important though . The black socket Gigabytes will run the next gen AMD processors so you can run with a midrange x2 or x3 and upgrade to a Bulldozer cpu later if you want to .
And who knows maybe you can unlock the x3 .

That is the only mb thats in stock in NZ that can do that . Its a micro ATX but thats fine for almost everyone
m
l
April 27, 2011 8:21:43 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Im a Kiwi too .

For gaming the performance of the gfx card is more important than the processor ... once you have a powerful enough processor in the first place .
Also games dont need more cores to run well . Few games get any benefit from the fourth core .

That mb is important though . The black socket Gigabytes will run the next gen AMD processors so you can run with a midrange x2 or x3 and upgrade to a Bulldozer cpu later if you want to .
And who knows maybe you can unlock the x3 .

That is the only mb thats in stock in NZ that can do that . Its a micro ATX but thats fine for almost everyone

i think ill go with an x2 for now and i might have to even use the integrated graphics that mobo has because my budget is getting smaller than i listed it :( 

im really impartial to this case because it looks cool and has a hdd dock

an athlon x2, that am3+ mobo, 4gb ram, 500gb wd blue, the above case and the huntkey psu i wanted earlier would cost about $640. that leaves $260 for a graphics card and the 6790 fits.

m
l
!