Will this work at or am I an idiot?

ducklingx

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Woohoo! Yet another newbie!
Any advice is welcome; I can change anything except the monitor. Thank you in advance.

Motherboard: Asus Max Extreme IV P67
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Memory: 16GB G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1866 F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL
Graphics: 2x MSI GTX 460 SLI
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
Hard drive: Crucial C300 SSD 128GB & SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200 32mb cache
Power: Corsair Pro AX1200 Series Gold CMPSU-1200AX 1200W
Case: Corsair 800D +4 120mm CM case fans
Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro H70& ZM-NBF47 heatsink
Monitor: LG INFINIA 60PK750 60-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (btw-how well does nView work?)
Other: LITE-ON Black 24X DVD Writer

If this posted more than once sorry, having issues.

MLavore

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
That's one hell of a monitor, also it looks like a good build except I would stay away from spinpoint drives for now. I have seen quite a few of them dying as of late.

I have been running two Western Digital WD1002FAEX 1TB @ 7200 RPM and 64Mb cache with no issues. They are fast, efficient and SATA III (6Gb/s) and your board would support them. They are a little pricey at $85 but if you ask me its worth it.

Definitely on the H70 I use it on my OC x6 1090T with wonderful results (23c room temp - 38c @ prime 95 torture test)
Aside from that, you can go like $55 and get a Blu-Ray, DVD, CD drive that way you don't have to worry about missing out on blu-ray content in the near future ;)

Aside from that.......... I like it!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Ah, ok I was going to say that 1200W is overkill and 16GB ram as well. Seems like you are future proofing some spots and not others. You won't need the hyperthreading for the i7-2600k I'd get the i5-2500k and save 100 dollars without losing any performance. I was also going to recommend a better graphics card but those are fine for now if you intend on upgrading them later.

ducklingx

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Thanks! The i5 was my first choice, I put down the i7 just for the hyperthreading. Would this be something worth upgrading later (like when I do the graphics cards)? The power supply and ram are overkill but both in combos.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Just be careful when using your new computer on your new 60 inch plasma even though the new sets are much better at preventing burn through pixel shifting it does still happen (usually will disappear after about an hour). Make sure you have you screen saver set to on in case you happen to walk away for a bit. The tv should also have an auto off feature as well. My 50 inch panasonic from 2009 gets a little burn in from the bright red netflix background if i'm looking at movies for too long.

I can't suggest specific components as you didn't post links so I don't know at what price you're buying the stuff at or if you are from the US so I can post newegg. With sli 460 and not even knowing what you will use the pc for, makes me believe you don't need the top of the line performance now but even with my recommendations can still upgrade.

The i5 has little difference in gaming but for compiling, the i7 will help a bit.
I'd buy a single high end graphics card now and if you need more power buy another to sli/cf. Just to not waste money in selling 2 cards when you can keep 1 and buy another later.
Unless you're going to do 3 way sli, the asus pro can do 2 way. You'd only want 3 if you want some insane 3x1080p hardcore gaming, but even 2 can handle that now.
Get 2x4gb ram 1600. If you need more buy a second kit and 1866 has little difference to 1600 for the 2nd gen i5/i7, definitely not worth the price. And the 1600 should OC to the 1866 specs.
You really don't need a soundcard unless you're an audiophile, and just another component you can buy later if you feel you need it. High quality speakers make a huge difference vs soundcard.
1200w is serious overkill, even sli 580 only need 1000w. Depending on what card you get now for cf/sli should be the power you get. Like if you get 1 6950, you'll only need 750-850w for cf so get that much.
You can save money and get home premium or pro unless you really need bitlocker. Here's a more detailed chart of features, if you don't know what it is, chances are you don't need it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

^ +++
As to RAM - I prefer the 1600, as ^ pointed out not a significant performance diff. But what I like about 1600 is that it is an even harmonic of Bclk. May even get sligthly better Timings (CL 7, or 8) for same price - again not much boost.

As to HDDs, I like the WD black. In terms of performance, again Very little diff between a SATA II and SATA III HDD execpt for burst speed - more a marketing hype.

As to SSD, I'd forgo the C300 (first generation of SATA III SSDs) My self I opted for the SF1200 controller SSD instead of the C300 - VERY poor garbage collector relies on TRIM, which is OK if not part of Raid0 - which you are not running.). However, the New generation of SATA III SSDs are worth it - ie C400, or better yet the Sata III SSds w/SF22xx controller.