Computer only booting up after reseating CMOS jumper

happytr33z

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Hey everyone, for the past week every morning when I wake up and turn my computer on, it turns off after about 3 to 5 seconds. I have to open it up, take of the cmos jumper and put it back on and then start up and it works fine for the rest of the day. I haven't had any other problems, every diagnostic check I have done on the CPU has turned up fine, no warnings or beep codes.

Specs :
MSI g41m4 motherboard
intel core 2 duo e8200 processor
nvidia geforce 8800 gtx graphics card
2 gigs of patriot viper ram, 1066 MHz. dunno voltages. 5-5-5-12 I think.
western digital 7200 rpm 500gb HDD.

happytr33z

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Wonderful, lol. Well I don't have another PSU with me that has 2 PCI-E cables for my video card. would that matter? or could I just power the core stuff (motherboard, cpu) and see if it stays turned on(but without display)?

happytr33z

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Also would you think it's safe to use it for the next week or so? till I can replace the power supply?
Sorry for the double post.

EDIT : Found the edit button. Alright I'm looking at 2 different psu's right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&cm_sp=Cat_Power-Supplies-_-YTVideo-_-YT17-139-020

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

the main difference is that the second one is modular, and only costs 65$. But I have read in the comments that one was DOA and one fried rather quickly. The first one seems to have good reviews. Would the 550w psu be enough for the specs I listed above?

Right now I'm using a modular 650w OCZ power supply, it seems to be doing pretty good even though it's failing.

Wonderful, lol. Well I don't have another PSU with me that has 2 PCI-E cables for my video card. would that matter? or could I just power the core stuff (motherboard, cpu) and see if it stays turned on(but without display)?

You could try that, it would give you more confidence that the power supply is the problem.,