Tiger $50.00

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 5:12:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Tiger $50.00

How to buy Tiger

The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.

We could have bought them at a local Apple store with a discount.
Instead we wanted the free online seminar that comes with the web
order. Ordered the opening day we are still waiting for delivery. Was
it worth it?

Opening night there was not much of what anyone can call a workshop,
pretty much questions, and answers if you knew what to ask. The
seminar, well we will have to wait and see.

More about : tiger

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 5:24:53 PM

In article <1115237525.907878.313240@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How to buy Tiger
>
> The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
> user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
> The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
> for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.

I fail to see the point in this. Ignoring all questions about whether
one does or does not believe in following the terms of the license
agreement, I can't see the point in this either way.

1. If you don't bother with following the license agreements, then you
might as well buy the single use package and use it 5 times. No, it
isn't legal, but then this is the option where you don't care about
that. It will work.

2. If you believe in following license agreements, then maybe you
overlooked what the agreement for the family pack says. Cut&paste right
off of the apple store web site:

"as long as those computers are located in the same household and used
by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a
person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home,
apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to
students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or
commercial users."

Seems pretty clear and explicit to me. So if you thought that your
"trick" was a way to get it cheap and still be legal, that's wrong.

P.S. Selling software illegally is far more likely to get you in actual
trouble than just using it illegally yourself. it is also likely to get
your (former) friends in trouble. I really, really advise against it.

email: my first.last at org.domain | experience comes from bad judgment.
org: nasa, domain: gov | -- Mark Twain
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2005 9:33:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <1115237525.907878.313240@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tiger $50.00
>
> How to buy Tiger
>
> The single use package is $125.00.

$129, but who's counting?

> If you split it with just one other
> user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.

Violating the license in the process, but who's counting.

> The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
> for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.

Violating copyright, but who's counting.

There's nothing quite like the joy of first hearing an Alvin & the Chipmunks
cover of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut." "Not Now John" is especially sublime.
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 1:22:05 AM

-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- wrote:
> Tiger $50.00
>
> How to buy Tiger
>
> The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
> user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
> The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
> for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.
EDU pricing is $30
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 1:35:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <1115237525.907878.313240@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tiger $50.00
>
> How to buy Tiger
>
> The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
> user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
> The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
> for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.

Assuming that you don't mind being a thief.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 1:56:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

On 4 May 2005 13:12:05 -0700,
-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- (nomads_05@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Tiger $50.00
>
> How to buy Tiger
>
> The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
> user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
> The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
> for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.

Its the family pack, not the "friends and family" pack. What you're
suggesting violates the license.

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
Anonymous

-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- wrote:
> Tiger $50.00
>
> How to buy Tiger
>
> The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
> user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
> The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
> for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.
>
> We could have bought them at a local Apple store with a discount.
> Instead we wanted the free online seminar that comes with the web
> order. Ordered the opening day we are still waiting for delivery. Was
> it worth it?
>
> Opening night there was not much of what anyone can call a workshop,
> pretty much questions, and answers if you knew what to ask. The
> seminar, well we will have to wait and see.

Why not just post a bit torrent URL and get it over with?

Nicolas
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 2:24:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Richard E Maine <nospam@see.signature> wrote:

> I fail to see the point in this.

GoldTrader is a troll. There's no point in responding to him.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 2:24:46 AM

"Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupf@myhome.net> writes:

>On 4 May 2005 13:12:05 -0700,
> -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- (nomads_05@yahoo.com) wrote:
>> Tiger $50.00
>>
>> How to buy Tiger
>>
>> The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
>> user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
>> The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
>> for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.
>
>Its the family pack, not the "friends and family" pack. What you're
>suggesting violates the license.

And not a 'family pack' unless you all live in the same home. It
specifically excludes kids away at college, if they do not live at
home.

For those of us with 5 Macs, all in one house, it's a great deal.

-Stephen
--
Space Age Cybernomad Stephen Adams
malchus842SP@AMgmail.com (remove SPAM to reply)

In article <d5bi3e02i2r@news4.newsguy.com>,
Stephen M. Adams <adamst@no.spam> wrote:

> And not a 'family pack' unless you all live in the same home. It
> specifically excludes kids away at college, if they do not live at
> home.
>
> For those of us with 5 Macs, all in one house, it's a great deal.

For those of us with 2 Macs in the house it's a decent deal. It's less
than the price of 2 single licenses, after all.

There's nothing quite like the joy of first hearing an Alvin & the Chipmunks
cover of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut." "Not Now John" is especially sublime.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 2:24:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <d5bi3e02i2r@news4.newsguy.com>,
Stephen M. Adams <adamst@no.spam> wrote:

> "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupf@myhome.net> writes:
>
> >On 4 May 2005 13:12:05 -0700,
> > -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- (nomads_05@yahoo.com) wrote:
> >> Tiger $50.00
> >>
> >> How to buy Tiger
> >>
> >> The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
> >> user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
> >> The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
> >> for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.
> >
> >Its the family pack, not the "friends and family" pack. What you're
> >suggesting violates the license.
>
> And not a 'family pack' unless you all live in the same home. It
> specifically excludes kids away at college, if they do not live at
> home.

I didn't know that. That's a bummer.

> For those of us with 5 Macs, all in one house, it's a great deal.
>
> -Stephen
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 3:14:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- uttered this nonprofundity:

> The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
> user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
> The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
> for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.

You're a goddamn skinflint. Apple goes to all that trouble to provide you
with a top-quality OS and all you can do is scheme how to cut them out of a
profit.

I guess every group has its welfare case.

-- Gnarlie
http://Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 3:14:24 AM

"Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- uttered this nonprofundity:
>
> > The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
> > user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
> > The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
> > for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.
>
> You're a goddamn skinflint. Apple goes to all that trouble to provide you
> with a top-quality OS and all you can do is scheme how to cut them out of
> profit.

A top-quality OS?

Can't get security updates for versions as young as 2 1/2 years old so Apple
is forcing upgrades for those people who can't afford to upgrade every other
cycle. That's quality?

Greg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 3:14:25 AM

In article <117inhtssrpup16@corp.supernews.com>,
"G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> "Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- uttered this nonprofundity:
> >
> > > The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
> > > user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
> > > The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
> > > for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.
> >
> > You're a goddamn skinflint. Apple goes to all that trouble to provide you
> > with a top-quality OS and all you can do is scheme how to cut them out of
> > profit.
> >

> A top-quality OS?
>
> Can't get security updates for versions as young as 2 1/2 years old so Apple
> is forcing upgrades for those people who can't afford to upgrade every other
> cycle. That's quality?

Aside from the fact that you have no real evidence that Apple will no
longer provide security updates for 10.2.8, support for older versions
has nothing to do with the quality of a product.

--
There's nothing quite like the joy of first hearing an Alvin & the Chipmunks
cover of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut." "Not Now John" is especially sublime.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 3:14:26 AM

"Gregory Weston" <uce@splook.com> wrote in message
> In article <117inhtssrpup16@corp.supernews.com>,
> "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> > "Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- uttered this nonprofundity:

> > > You're a goddamn skinflint. Apple goes to all that trouble to provide
you
> > > with a top-quality OS and all you can do is scheme how to cut them out
of
> > > profit.
> > >

> > A top-quality OS?
> >
> > Can't get security updates for versions as young as 2 1/2 years old so
Apple
> > is forcing upgrades for those people who can't afford to upgrade every
other
> > cycle. That's quality?
>
> Aside from the fact that you have no real evidence that Apple will no
> longer provide security updates for 10.2.8, support for older versions
> has nothing to do with the quality of a product.

You have an extremely reduced scope for your quality standards then.

If Apple sticks to their standard operating procedure they will stop
providing security updates for 10.2.8.

Hell, other vendors provide security updates for all permutations of their
major releases, with Mac OS X I have to be running the latest point release
of one of their last major 2 releases in order to get security patches.

Greg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 3:14:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

"G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Hell, other vendors provide security updates for all permutations of their
> major releases

Nobody provides support for all permutations of everything they have ever
produced. Ask Sun for a security patch for SunOS-3 and see how far you
get. Or DEC (um, Compaq, um, HP) for a security patch for Ultrix. Or
Microsoft for a security patch for Windows 95.

> with Mac OS X I have to be running the latest point release
> of one of their last major 2 releases in order to get security patches.

Supporting the current major release and one major release back is not
uncommon in the software world. And insisting that you be up to the most
recent patch level within a major release to get support isn't uncommon
either.

10.2 came out about 2-1/2 years ago. If you don't want to pay for every
upgrade, you can pay for every other upgrade, and keep getting security
patches for an average cost of under $50/yr.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 3:14:28 AM

"Roy Smith" <roy@panix.com> wrote in message
> "G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> > Hell, other vendors provide security updates for all permutations of
their
> > major releases
>
> Nobody provides support for all permutations of everything they have ever
> produced. Ask Sun for a security patch for SunOS-3 and see how far you
> get. Or DEC (um, Compaq, um, HP) for a security patch for Ultrix.

Those are some antique OSes, aren't they?

> Or Microsoft for a security patch for Windows 95.

We're still getting patches for NT 4.0, and patches for Windows 2000 are
readily available.

Solaris 2.6 is supported until July 2006. Do you know how long 2.6 has been
out?

> > with Mac OS X I have to be running the latest point release
> > of one of their last major 2 releases in order to get security patches.
>
> Supporting the current major release and one major release back is not
> uncommon in the software world. And insisting that you be up to the most
> recent patch level within a major release to get support isn't uncommon
> either.
>
> 10.2 came out about 2-1/2 years ago. If you don't want to pay for every
> upgrade, you can pay for every other upgrade, and keep getting security
> patches for an average cost of under $50/yr.

The cost of upgrades include much more than the cost of media and license.

Greg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 4:54:02 AM

G.T. wrote:
> "Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- uttered this nonprofundity:
>>

>>>The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
>>>user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
>>>The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
>>>for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.
>>
>>You're a goddamn skinflint. Apple goes to all that trouble to provide you
>>with a top-quality OS and all you can do is scheme how to cut them out of

>>profit.
>>

> A top-quality OS?
>
> Can't get security updates for versions as young as 2 1/2 years old so Apple
> is forcing upgrades for those people who can't afford to upgrade every other
> cycle. That's quality?

So don't upgrade. Or if that displeases you, get a PC and use Windows.

Or set up a Linux box.

Only you can force you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 4:54:03 AM

"Phil Wheeler" <w6tuh-ng4@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> G.T. wrote:
> > "Gnarlodious" <gnarlodious@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- uttered this nonprofundity:

> >>You're a goddamn skinflint. Apple goes to all that trouble to provide
you
> >>with a top-quality OS and all you can do is scheme how to cut them out
of

> >>profit.
> >>

> > A top-quality OS?
> >
> > Can't get security updates for versions as young as 2 1/2 years old so
Apple
> > is forcing upgrades for those people who can't afford to upgrade every
other
> > cycle. That's quality?
> >

> So don't upgrade.

Nice answer, that one really makes the 'net a better place. Ignorance is
bliss, I guess.

> Or if that displeases you, get a PC and use Windows.

It does, and I did. The only thing I use my Mac for any more is Photoshop
and iTunes. The rest of my time is spent between XP and OpenBSD.

Greg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 4:57:54 AM

Gregory Weston wrote:
> In article <1115237525.907878.313240@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> "-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Tiger $50.00
>>
>>How to buy Tiger
>>
>>The single use package is $125.00.
>

> $129, but who's counting?

Fry's in LA was selling Tiger for $99 on Monday (down from $109 on Sat-Sun).
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 5:08:19 AM

TravelinMan wrote:
> In article <1115237525.907878.313240@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> "-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Tiger $50.00
>>
>>How to buy Tiger
>>
>>The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
>>user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
>>The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
>>for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.
>

> Assuming that you don't mind being a thief.

Yes. Assuming that, he could find 128 like-minded friends and they could
each chip in $1: Much less than $50.

But there are discount available. Fry's in LA was selling Tiger at $109
last weekend and on Monday at $99.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 6:00:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <1gw1pg7.czwq8o1q54lxcN%neillmassello@earthlink.net>,
neillmassello@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote:

> Richard E Maine <nospam@see.signature> wrote:
>
> > I fail to see the point in this.

I failed to see the post: that's what killfiles are for.

> GoldTrader is a troll. There's no point in responding to him.

Amen. er, oops. ;-)

--
Later.
johajohn@indianahoosiers.edu

In news:R5mdnRVHcJCg6OTfRVn-2A@comcast.com,
Fetch, Rover, Fetch <Fetch-Rover-Fetch@K9University.edu> typed:
> -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- wrote:
>> Tiger $50.00
>>
>> How to buy Tiger
>>
>> The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one
>> other user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family
>> pack. The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four
>> to friends for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.
> EDU pricing is $30

depends on what edu pricing you're getting; ucla has it at $69.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 11:07:16 AM

In article <117irndraejt65@corp.supernews.com>,
"G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> > > Can't get security updates for versions as young as 2 1/2 years old so
> > > Apple is forcing upgrades for those people who can't afford to upgrade
> > > every other cycle. That's quality?
> >
> > Aside from the fact that you have no real evidence that Apple will no
> > longer provide security updates for 10.2.8, support for older versions
> > has nothing to do with the quality of a product.
> >

> You have an extremely reduced scope for your quality standards then.

No. I have an understanding of what the word "quality" means. It has
nothing to do with long-term support either by definition or in
pragmatic reality. You're welcome to verify this yourself. There are
many garbage products which are proudly supported by their
manufacturers, and quality products for which no support is available
from first or third parties any more. Guess which one I'll choose.

> If Apple sticks to their standard operating procedure they will stop
> providing security updates for 10.2.8.

Ah. So you assumed. And then presented your assumption as fact. I see.

> Hell, other vendors provide security updates for all permutations of their
> major releases, with Mac OS X I have to be running the latest point release
> of one of their last major 2 releases in order to get security patches.

More assumption. And some falsehood (or overgeneralization to the point
of error).

--
There's nothing quite like the joy of first hearing an Alvin & the Chipmunks
cover of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut." "Not Now John" is especially sublime.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 12:13:54 PM

In article <ZYiee.1337$X21.820@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
"ed" <news_test@no-atwistedweb-spam.com> wrote:

> In news:R5mdnRVHcJCg6OTfRVn-2A@comcast.com,
> Fetch, Rover, Fetch <Fetch-Rover-Fetch@K9University.edu> typed:
> > EDU pricing is $30
>
> depends on what edu pricing you're getting; ucla has it at $69.

Yes, I was surprised when I saw the $30 number. The Apple Store also has
it at $69. I wasn't planning on upgrading my daughter's system quite
yet, but at $30 I'd have picked up a copy anyway, even if I waited for
things to settle down before installing.

(She goes to Cal State LA, but I could have popped down to UCLA easily
enough if it was different there).

email: my first.last at org.domain | experience comes from bad judgment.
org: nasa, domain: gov | -- Mark Twain
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 3:11:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

> And not a 'family pack' unless you all live in the same home. It
> specifically excludes kids away at college, if they do not live at
> home.

Students can get it for $69 anyway. But if your family already bought
the family pack, what's the point? Just give it to your kid on spring
break when he's technically living at home.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 7:51:08 PM

Gnarlodious wrote:
> Entity -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- uttered this nonprofundity:
>

>>The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
>>user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack.
>>The thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends
>>for $50.00. They will not find a better deal.
>

> You're a goddamn skinflint. Apple goes to all that trouble to provide you
> with a top-quality OS and all you can do is scheme how to cut them out of a
> profit.
>
> I guess every group has its welfare case.
>
> -- Gnarlie
> http://Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/

Ahh, another Mac user that doesn't disappoint with his elitist views and
bigotry.
This has nothing to do with social assistance and everything to do with
dishonesty.

Nicolas
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2005 12:37:56 AM

Richard E Maine wrote:
> In article <ZYiee.1337$X21.820@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> "ed" <news_test@no-atwistedweb-spam.com> wrote:
>

>>In news:R5mdnRVHcJCg6OTfRVn-2A@comcast.com,
>>Fetch, Rover, Fetch <Fetch-Rover-Fetch@K9University.edu> typed:
>>
>>>EDU pricing is $30
>>
>>depends on what edu pricing you're getting; ucla has it at $69.
>

> Yes, I was surprised when I saw the $30 number. The Apple Store also has
> it at $69. I wasn't planning on upgrading my daughter's system quite
> yet, but at $30 I'd have picked up a copy anyway, even if I waited for
> things to settle down before installing.
>
> (She goes to Cal State LA, but I could have popped down to UCLA easily
> enough if it was different there).

Univ Pittsburgh and CMU

got my copy today
final cost $30 + 7% sales tax - on DVD
this is the same price they offered for Jaguar and Panther
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2005 12:39:27 AM

> Yes there is. And now there's another one. Hint: "[O]ther vendors
> provide security updates for all permutations of their major releases"
> is not a true statement.

If you're suggesting that I meant all permutations of all their major
releases going back to antiquity, that's not what I meant. I meant that
other vendor's security patches apply to all permutations of their in
service major releases. See below for clarification.

> > nor is there any assumption in that last paragraph whatsover.
>
> Really? So you have direct evidence that Apple will not in the future
> release a security update for anything other than "the latest point
> release of one of their last major 2 releases?" Be very careful
> answering, because I spent the last two days creating 10.2 and 10.3
> volumes for regression testing. Here's another hint: Security updates
> were available for Mac OS releases predating the contemporary public
> build.

I haven't hit software update today but I understand the latest security
update only applies to 10.3.9. We have to run 10.3.5 at work on 3 of our
systems since that is the most recent revision our software vendor supports.
And simultaneously I've discovered an issue with FTP on 10.3.6 and up that
affects transfers to a VxWorks FTP server. How am I to get security updates
for 10.3.5?

> > I didn't say ALL other vendors
>
> So you can name one, then?

Microsoft and Sun. I don't need to be running XP SP2 to get current
security updates, nor (last I checked) do I need to be running Solaris 9
9/04. I can get current security patches for XP, XP SP1, Solaris 9 4/03,
Solaris 9 12/03, Solaris 9 04/04, etc.

> > and with Apple I do have to be
> > running the latest point release to get security updates.
>
> Except for the inconvenient fact that you don't.

Then please show me how to get the lastest security update for 10.3.5. I
admit I haven't been developing my OS X admin skills lately.

Greg
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2005 3:26:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Hmmm. 128 family members in one household. Would it matter how many
computers are in one household as long as everyone was a resident at
that location? It would be like a site license.

CharlesJo.com
Hypothetical Questions

Phil Wheeler wrote:
> Yes. Assuming that, he could find 128 like-minded friends and they
could
> each chip in $1: Much less than $50.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2005 9:23:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <d5euqu$e0c$1@news.xmission.com>, bmwright@xmission.com
says...
> Just to add some humor to this dead horse:
>
> http://www.xmission.com/~bmwright/apple_weed.jpg

*cackle*

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
"Rally Mohawks, and bring your axes

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <117lpnjn8rnhlfd@corp.supernews.com>,
"G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> "Gregory Weston" <uce@splook.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Yes there is. And now there's another one. Hint: "[O]ther vendors
> > provide security updates for all permutations of their major releases"
> > is not a true statement.
>
> If you're suggesting that I meant all permutations of all their major
> releases going back to antiquity, that's not what I meant.

You'll have to forgive me for misunderstanding. All I had to go on is
what you said. It's a little tricky when what you say and what you mean
aren't in sync.

There's nothing quite like the joy of first hearing an Alvin & the Chipmunks
cover of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut." "Not Now John" is especially sublime.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 9:26:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Did not mean to get you holly rollers rolling. How were we supposed to
know what the license agreement was going to say when we paid for it,
before we received it?

As for our case we have enough PowerBooks around the commune to cover
it. Anytime I want from free legal advice from a Kangaroo court I sure
know were to come.

Richard E Maine wrote:
> In article <1115237525.907878.313240@o13g200>
> I fail to see the point in this.

> 1. If you don't bother with following the license agreements,
>
> 2. If you believe in following license agreements,

> "as long as those computers are located in the same household and
used
> by persons who occupy that same household.

> Seems pretty clear and explicit to me. So if you thought that your
> "trick" was a way to get it cheap and still be legal, that's wrong.
>
> I really, really advise against it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 9:37:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Hypothetical Questions

How long do they have to live there to be a resident?

Charles Jo wrote:
> Hmmm. 128 family members in one household. Would it matter how many
> computers are in one household as long as everyone was a resident at
> that location? It would be like a site license.
>
> CharlesJo.com
> Hypothetical Questions
>

> Phil Wheeler wrote:
> > Yes. Assuming that, he could find 128 like-minded friends and they
> could
> > each chip in $1: Much less than $50.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 5:02:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <1115815033.517379.187250@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hypothetical Questions
>
> How long do they have to live there to be a resident?

It's really not about people so much. The machines are supposed to be
based primarily in the house. A notebook that goes to class every day
would be fine. A notebook that goes to the dorm every semester is not.

There's nothing quite like the joy of first hearing an Alvin & the Chipmunks
cover of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut." "Not Now John" is especially sublime.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 5:08:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

In article <1115814360.337861.10290@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Did not mean to get you holly rollers rolling. How were we supposed to
> know what the license agreement was going to say when we paid for it,
> before we received it?

Well, the sticker on the package reads: "Family Pack for up to 5
computers." The listing at Amazon reads "Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Family Pack
- 5 Client [DVD]" Both of those have some fairly clear implications.
Implication is not good enough for some people (which is a fair
concern), so I also note that the Tiger product page in Apple's store
has this in not-especially-fine print ...

"Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use
one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5)
Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located
in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same
household. By "household" we mean a person or persons sharing the same
housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This
license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus
location or to business or commercial users."

.... which explies far more than it implies. So that's how you would know
what the license would say before you bought it.

There's nothing quite like the joy of first hearing an Alvin & the Chipmunks
cover of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut." "Not Now John" is especially sublime.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2005 7:53:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tiger $50.00
>
> How to buy Tiger
>
> The single use package is $125.00. If you split it with just one other
> user its $100.00 with three left over with the $200.00 family pack. The
> thing to do is buy the five pack and sell the other four to friends for
> $50.00. They will not find a better deal.

Sell what to them?

There is probably only one set of CDs in the family pack and the licence
is for people living in the same household only.

I suppose you could rent a room to your friends.

--
Andrew J. Brehm
Marx Brothers Fan

Archived from groups: comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.misc (More info?)

Microcenter.com sells OS "Tigger" for $129, but has a $50 mail in
rebate, for a net price of $80.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Offer ends June 5.

I'll probably take advantage of that offer. Even though it's another
over-hyped, probably unnecessary OS upgrade, I migh not find a better
deal later. Might as well pay my bi-annual "Apple tax" now, though
Apple may release yet another upgrade in 2 years to counter Longhorn
when it finally comes out...
!