Mobo: Msi p55-g55a

CPU: Intel i3 530

GPU: Visiontek radeon 5750

Memory: GSkill Ripjaw Series 4GB(2x2) pc 12800

Case: NZXT apollo

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM

DVD: Light-On 24x DVD RW

Power Supply: CoolerMaster 650W GX

I've got around 6-700 to upgade my gaming system though I'd like to stay below 500 if at all possible. The two big things I'm looking at upgrading are the GPU and case. I'm currently lookin at getting a gtx 560 or possibly 570 if the extra dollars are worth the performance and I'd like a new case such as the HAF 922 or the AZZA Solano 1000. From what I've read the current CPU wouldn't bottleneck either one of those cards since I do not overclock. However, if I get better cooling I do plan to be doing some overclocking, I'd just prefer not to kill my processor while doing it. A mild overclock puts it at 75C under load. That being said, will I need to get a new processor if I do start overclocking? Also, should I look at upgrading other parts or stick with the ones I've picked? I'm also open to suggestions on components other than the once I've currently picked out. I play a lot of FSX, SC2, Crysis, and Black Ops if that's relevant information. Thanks for any help on this matter.

morrise001

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Well, the case I was thinking of getting for better cooling and better cable management which would give the ability to overclock and well, just have a cooler system. I've thought about the quad-core upgrade, I just didn't know if it'd really be worth while since a lot of games don't utilize more than two cores and my current computer is specifically for gaming.

I agree that currently not many games benefit from a quad but there will be more and more in the next couple of years. Here is an older review of your current case and I would be surprised if it would limit you to get to the max overclock you can get with your CPU http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nzxt_apollocase/4.htm

omnipanzer

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
If you don't have your heart set on a new case I fully agree with Rolli. Get the CPU and a new GPU. If you are having issues with proper ventilation through your system maybe get some extensions and upgrade your fans. That should even leave you enough to get an SSD ;^)

morrise001

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Okay, so if I go with a CPU instead it's gonna be the i5 760 but what about graphics card? Like I said, I'm leaning towards a 560 or 570, but what's the best bang for your buck card I could get?