Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Build. Need your comments/suggestions :D

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 25, 2011 10:25:57 AM

Hi All,

I just signed up to the forums and it's my first time posting here although I've been reading the posts here for a while now. I am planning to start a new PC build and was motivated to sign up because I'm a newbie when it comes to making my own build (first build on my own ever!) so I was looking for and would really appreciate any help I can get from you guys. :D 

My planned build is as follows:

CPU: i5-2500 BX80523I52500 3.30 Ghz 4/4 - 6M LGA1155
MOBO: ASUS P8P67-M
PSU: Silverstone ST50F-P
GFX: EVGA gtx 460 1gb
RAM: Gskill F3-10666CL7D-4GBXH Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 4GB Kit 2 x 2GB Dual 7-7-7-21
HDD: WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX - SATA 3.0 1 TB 64MB

Any comments or improvement to the above build? My budget is 800-900 dollars and This will mostly be for gaming and all round PC-use.

Got a few specific questions though:

1. Is there really a big difference between the WD Caviar Blue and Black series or can I swap out the Caviar Black with: WD CAVIAR BLUE 3.5" 500GB 7200RPM WD5000AAKX? Is the performance increase/decrease noticeable? Worth the extra $$$?

2. Are SSD drives (as a boot drive) worth the money now? and if so should I purchase a: Intel® X25-M Solid State Drive, 40GB SATA II 2.5in, MLC, 34nm and combo it with the Caviar Blue drive above instead of the Caviar Black?

3. Any thoughts on the mobo? Can anyone suggest something else? (I picked this because my friend said it is a good mobo)

4. Same goes for the PSU. Can anyone suggest a sleeved and modular alternative if the silverstone one isn't good?

Thank you all in advance for your helpful advice.

cheers.

Ozzy

More about : build comments suggestions

April 25, 2011 10:55:44 AM

1) there is a difference but not noticeably in performance.
2) I would recommend a 60GB and load times are much faster but if you get a good deal not a bad idea.
3) I personally would go with the ATX version P8P67 and get the I5 2500K with unlocked multiplier.
4) Silverstone PSU's are in general good although that is their budget unit it is of reasonable quality.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 11:20:43 AM

Really, really agree with rolli on #3. Based on the cost of the total build, the price difference between the i5-2500 and the "K" model is almost insignificant.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 25, 2011 11:29:52 AM

get a ssd is not waste the money.If your budget is not allow then you must buy a wd velocityRaptor 600 gb(32 mb cache) for your o.s and fast boot as compare to other hdd.Try to increase you RAM up to 6 gb.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 11:39:28 AM

The Silverstone Strider Plus 500W is perfectly fine, and it is not one of Silverstone's budget units (apart from it being lower wattage compared to others, which consequentially means the price will be lower compared to those higher wattage units). Without knowing where you are shopping I can't tell you if it is the best unit you can get for the price tho.

The Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is as fast, if not faster, than the WD 1TB FAEX drive and usually it is cheaper, so I would recommend changing to that if you can find it. The 'faster' interface and more cache make next to no difference. And I disagree with the recommendation to get a VR, they have had their day and the 600GB VR is actually as expensive as a lot of SSDs, obviously you don;t get as much capacity with an SSD, but if performance is what you want then the SSD beats the VR.

There's no point going up to 6GB because gaming build don't need more than 4GB and Sandy Bridge motherboards don't support triple channel memory, so if anything you would lose performance by running 6GB in single channel mode.

What case are you getting?
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 11:53:49 AM

Silvune said:
The Silverstone Strider Plus 500W is perfectly fine, and it is not one of Silverstone's budget units (apart from it being lower wattage compared to others, which consequentially means the price will be lower compared to those higher wattage units). Without knowing where you are shopping I can't tell you if it is the best unit you can get for the price tho.

The Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is as fast, if not faster, than the WD 1TB FAEX drive and usually it is cheaper, so I would recommend changing to that if you can find it. The 'faster' interface and more cache make next to no difference. And I disagree with the recommendation to get a VR, they have had their day and the 600GB VR is actually as expensive as a lot of SSDs, obviously you don;t get as much capacity with an SSD, but if performance is what you want then the SSD beats the VR.

There's no point going up to 6GB because gaming build don't need more than 4GB and Sandy Bridge motherboards don't support triple channel memory, so if anything you would lose performance by running 6GB in single channel mode.

What case are you getting?


Is nothing difference between the price of a SSD and VR,Obviously VR gives best performance as compare to other hdd.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 11:56:37 AM

Thanks for all your replies. Very much appreciated :) 

@rolli59,vishal s: So SSD's are totally worth it? My main problem with it is that the WD Caviar Black TB price = 40gb SSD. So yea it's gonna hurt. I will have to probably go with a cheaper nothing-special drive to combo with the SSD.

@Silvune: I heard that samsung's HDD division is going to Seagate: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Samsung-HDD-Seagate-HD...

Can I still purchase the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB? and will the warranty transfer over to seagate or samsung?

Also, I already purchased the NZXT Lexa Blackline because I found a good deal on them (80 bucks!)

http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classic_series/lexa_bl...

I have read good reviews on the case too. What do you think? Was it a good buy? and will it all fit perfectly with the specs above?


cheers.

Ozzy
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 12:06:04 PM

Quote:
1. Is there really a big difference between the WD Caviar Blue and Black series or can I swap out the Caviar Black with: WD CAVIAR BLUE 3.5" 500GB 7200RPM WD5000AAKX? Is the performance increase/decrease noticeable? Worth the extra $$$?


the WD Black series built for performance. the one you have selected has a 64mb cache compared to the Blue series you mention's 16mb cache. you will notice the performance difference in load times of the OS and also levels when gaming.

Quote:
2. Are SSD drives (as a boot drive) worth the money now? and if so should I purchase a: Intel® X25-M Solid State Drive, 40GB SATA II 2.5in, MLC, 34nm and combo it with the Caviar Blue drive above instead of the Caviar Black?

I am spoiled by my SSD. I like things on my computer to be instantaneous or as close as possible. for example L4D2 level took 20-25 seconds to load with a HDD, but only 6-8 seconds with my SSD. is it worth the $2 a GB premium? I say.....yes. can you do with out it... yes. do I want to do with out it? No? With that said I always recommend buying at least a 80Gb or larger. the 120gb SSD seem to be the sweet spot value wise. I would get one just for booting the OS though. If do decide to get one I recommend ones with the Sandforce controllers they have the best performance/value ratio in my opinion. Mushkin, Patriot inferno, G.Skill Sniper,Phoenix Pro, and Corsair Force series are all good SSD's. at you budget price point I would skip the SSD and work on better GPU

Quote:
3. Any thoughts on the mobo? Can anyone suggest something else? (I picked this because my friend said it is a good mobo)

I also have the P67-M Pro MB you have selected in my mATX Lan Gaming rig. Its a solid board. If I have been building for a full ATX case I would use a ATX board. it just a personal preference though. If you think you may CF or SLI get a full ATX MB so there is an empty slot between your GPU's for better cooling.

Quote:
4. Same goes for the PSU. Can anyone suggest a sleeved and modular alternative if the silverstone one isn't good?

Silverstone is a good PSU manufacturer as is Seasonic, Corsair and Antec. Seasonic is the OEM for the XFX Core series PSU, so they are good also.

it is hard to advise on builds without knowing your end goal of what you want you system to be able to do. like are you going to:

Over clock?
SLI?
Game?
at what resolution?

also i noticed you had a P67 MB (for Over clocking) but a i5 2500 CPU (no over clocking) you need a i5 2500K to over clock. If you are not going to over clock then save some money and get a h67 or h61 MB



m
0
l
April 25, 2011 12:33:50 PM

Yes the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB will still be available for awhile yet, but who knows for how much longer? So I would definitely get one while they are still available.

It's not like Samsung is going out of business completely, so the warranty could stay with them. It is also possible that Seagate will take it, but I haven't seen any details of what will happen in terms of warranties.

I'm not familiar with the Lexa Blackline case, but I will do some research later, altho I can't imagine that there would be much wrong with it.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 12:54:04 PM

@jerreddredd, Silvune: Thanks a lot for your replies.

1. I've decided to go with the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB if I can find it. If I can't I'll go with the WD Caviar Black 1TB.

2. Yea with my budget an SSD is probably not a good idea yet so maybe an upgrade later on. You mentioned working on a better GPU, is the EVGA gtx 460 1gb not up to spec? I have read good reviews everywhere. It was either this or the much more expensive but newer GTX 560 ti. Which do you think has the more value for the buck? (this rig will primarily be for gaming, so it's a pretty important part :D  )

3. Thanks for pointing that out.. I had no idea that it wasn't a full ATX mb :o  I'll probably get the full ATX one then. A question though: Will the h67 board have all the features of the p67 boards except the ability to overclock? The way I understand it is that h67 = cannot overclock/has onboard GPU, p67 = can overclock/no onboard GPU. That is the only difference right?

4. Going with the silverstone psu in light of all the good recommendations. :) 

To answer your questions:

Over clock? = nope
SLI? = probably in the future
Game? = most definitely
at what resolution? = currently at 1600 x 900 but will upgrade soon to 1920 x 1080 monitor.

cheers

Ozzy
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 5:35:20 PM

H67 boards are not designed to support more than one graphics card, so you will have to go with P67 (or wait for Z68) to get a Crossfire/SLI capable motherboard. You will also have to make sure that when both PCIe slots are filled that the bandwidth to each is at least x8.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 6:26:37 PM

ozborne said:
@jerreddredd, Silvune: Thanks a lot for your replies.

1. I've decided to go with the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB if I can find it. If I can't I'll go with the WD Caviar Black 1TB.

2. Yea with my budget an SSD is probably not a good idea yet so maybe an upgrade later on. You mentioned working on a better GPU, is the EVGA gtx 460 1gb not up to spec? I have read good reviews everywhere. It was either this or the much more expensive but newer GTX 560 ti. Which do you think has the more value for the buck? (this rig will primarily be for gaming, so it's a pretty important part :D  )

3. Thanks for pointing that out.. I had no idea that it wasn't a full ATX mb :o  I'll probably get the full ATX one then. A question though: Will the h67 board have all the features of the p67 boards except the ability to overclock? The way I understand it is that h67 = cannot overclock/has onboard GPU, p67 = can overclock/no onboard GPU. That is the only difference right?

4. Going with the silverstone psu in light of all the good recommendations. :) 

To answer your questions:

Over clock? = nope
SLI? = probably in the future
Game? = most definitely
at what resolution? = currently at 1600 x 900 but will upgrade soon to 1920 x 1080 monitor.

cheers

Ozzy

At 1920 x 1080 I would go with the GTX560TI or HD6950 1GB since gaming is the main goal. SSD's are still coming down in price and a bigger one than 40GB will be a great upgrade down the road.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 8:12:43 PM


here are 5 cards compared left to right GTX 560 Ti / HD 6950 / GTX 460 / HD 6850 / HD 5850
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics...

the GTX 560 and the HD6950 are pretty much the same perfomance wise. as are the GTX 460, HD 6850 and 5850. the nvidia cards edge it out with over clocking (most of the time). Sometimes its just about finding a good deal that your wallet can handle; "the best bang for the buck". One thing about the HD6950, is everyones says to buy the 2GB version so that you can flash it with the 6970 firmware. I'm not an ATI person so I can advise well on that. the 2GB version runs $25 more. I like nvidia because they seem to OC better and driver support is much better. these are my pics.

HD 5850 is $139
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GTX 460 is $160 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD 6850 is $155 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD 6950 is $223 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GTX 560 Ti $225 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

these are all full size ATX MB that have x8x8 SLI, some support CF also. Pick one that fits your budget. I am partial to ASUS and Gigbyte myself:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 8:45:03 PM

ozborne said:
Also, I already purchased the NZXT Lexa Blackline because I found a good deal on them (80 bucks!)

http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classic_series/lexa_bl...

I have read good reviews on the case too. What do you think? Was it a good buy? and will it all fit perfectly with the specs above?



I love the NZXT cases, they are my favorite to build with.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 8:57:52 PM

Quote:
3. Thanks for pointing that out.. I had no idea that it wasn't a full ATX mb I'll probably get the full ATX one then. A question though: Will the h67 board have all the features of the p67 boards except the ability to overclock? The way I understand it is that h67 = cannot overclock/has onboard GPU, p67 = can overclock/no onboard GPU. That is the only difference right?


Silvune is right the H67 is not designed for really for CF/SLI it is good at single PCIe x16 though and can save a lot of money if you don't need SLI/CF. though most H67 mb' sare mATX and not full ATX sized. this is not a real issue if you are only running 1 GPU.

there are some H67 CF/SLi MB's but the run x16 x4 not x8 x8

my advice on budget system is to just run one GPU at x16 save money and buy a MB with only one PCIe x 16 slot and put the savings toward a better GPU.

for Single GPU systems there is also the H61 chipset MB's (mAXT)
m
0
l

Best solution

April 25, 2011 9:08:07 PM

Based on all the advice, and your desire to have a full ATX Board with SLI/CF, this is the system I would get:

SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Item #: N82E16817256065
$79.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBXH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Item #: N82E16820231439
$54.99

CPU (i5 2500K) and GTX 560ti COMBO DEAL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
Item #: N82E16814127565
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
-$5.00 Instant
-$10.00 Combo
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
$474.98
$459.98

MSI Gift Coupon - Futuremark 3DMark 11 (FREE)
Item #: N82E16800127008
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$19.99 Saving
$19.99
$0.00

Motherboard (full ATX with SLI/CF) and HDD COMBO DEAL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131703
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152185
-$5.00 Instant
-$20.00 Combo
$259.98
$234.98
------------
$829.94 $12.50 in shipping and $20 MIR

And it overclocks (2500K and P67) for the future if you need it.
Share
April 25, 2011 9:38:51 PM

ozborne said:
Hi All,

I just signed up to the forums and it's my first time posting here although I've been reading the posts here for a while now. I am planning to start a new PC build and was motivated to sign up because I'm a newbie when it comes to making my own build (first build on my own ever!) so I was looking for and would really appreciate any help I can get from you guys. :D 

My planned build is as follows:

CPU: i5-2500 BX80523I52500 3.30 Ghz 4/4 - 6M LGA1155
MOBO: ASUS P8P67-M
PSU: Silverstone ST50F-P
GFX: EVGA gtx 460 1gb
RAM: Gskill F3-10666CL7D-4GBXH Ripjaws X DDR3 1333 4GB Kit 2 x 2GB Dual 7-7-7-21
HDD: WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX - SATA 3.0 1 TB 64MB

Any comments or improvement to the above build? My budget is 800-900 dollars and This will mostly be for gaming and all round PC-use.

Got a few specific questions though:

1. Is there really a big difference between the WD Caviar Blue and Black series or can I swap out the Caviar Black with: WD CAVIAR BLUE 3.5" 500GB 7200RPM WD5000AAKX? Is the performance increase/decrease noticeable? Worth the extra $$$?

2. Are SSD drives (as a boot drive) worth the money now? and if so should I purchase a: Intel® X25-M Solid State Drive, 40GB SATA II 2.5in, MLC, 34nm and combo it with the Caviar Blue drive above instead of the Caviar Black?

3. Any thoughts on the mobo? Can anyone suggest something else? (I picked this because my friend said it is a good mobo)

4. Same goes for the PSU. Can anyone suggest a sleeved and modular alternative if the silverstone one isn't good?

Thank you all in advance for your helpful advice.

cheers.

Ozzy


http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... <---- Do you have a monitor or do you need one. Monitors resolution ? Do you have an o/s (windows), do you plan on eventually going with dual vid cards, do you plan on over clocking ? Until you fill this out and post it on here, this thread can go on for five more pages seeing how nobody here knows what the deal is as far as your needs.

And I see you have a budget of $800 - $900. So unless you have a monitor and o/s, the reality of getting an SSD right now for a gaming build is slim to none, unless you play old games and have a 17" CRT you plan on using.
m
0
l
May 5, 2011 6:52:37 AM

Best answer selected by ozborne.
m
0
l
!