Sign in with
Your question

Putting together own computer for the first time

Last response: in Systems
April 25, 2011 1:11:32 PM

I'm currently in a bed in austria dreaming away on what to buy when i get home to Sweden. I've been reading about processors, RAMs, graphic cards and motherboards alot and have come up with this so far:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-M PRO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Processor: i5-2500

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

So my question to you gentlemen(and girls) is what graphic card to buy? I'm looking at something around $150-$250.

So as you might have figured i'm going for a mid budget gaming rig - i pretty much just want it to perform as good as possible in games ( editing stuff comes 2nd hand)

Any advice is much welcome!

//Linghult

More about : putting computer time

April 25, 2011 1:21:12 PM

First off, you should go with the 2500k instead of the 2500.Even though you may not plan on overclocking now it'll be worth it down the line. Also, if you don't feel confident overclocking asus motherboards come with a feature called oc tuner which overclocks your cpu for you at 4.2 Ghz, you probably won't even need an aftermarket heatsink.
As for your graphics card, a hd 6950 1gb or a gtx 560 ti is probably your best choice. Both offer similar performance for a good price.
April 25, 2011 2:02:47 PM

robbiep28 said:
As for your graphics card, a hd 6950 1gb or a gtx 560 ti is probably your best choice. Both offer similar performance for a good price.

Agreed. The AMD offers slightly better performance and is recommended in the April edition of their Best Graphics Cards for the Money. If you've got $250(US?), don't get anything lower (a 560Ti will do if you have to have nVidia).

EDIT: A little more thinking has me questioning you decision of a non-K CPU and a P67 motherboard. If you truly have no intention of overclocking, look at an MSI H67 based mATX board and save some money. However, I do think the better option is getting a 2500k CPU. It's about $30 more and will extend the life of your rig. 2-3 years (or more) down the road when you think things are two slow, give it a nice jump to 4.5GHz and get another year or so out of it.
Related resources
April 25, 2011 3:36:31 PM

Ah so 2500K is easier to OC? It costs just $5 so i might as well get that one instead. I've been playing with Geforce card last 10 years - so am abit of a sceptic to it's nemesis. But there aint no performance/sound difference (in general) in the the brands is there?

The RAM isnt much to talk about or? There aint much difference in other brands ( as i understand it the speed of the RAM is whats important - but some people say a 1333 ram works just as well sometimes? )

Much thanks for fast replies! Back to do inventory of the wine cellar...yaay :/ 
April 25, 2011 3:43:36 PM

Sorry for double post - site wont let me edit my message.

Also - the store im gonna purchase the things on have a Radeon HD 6950 2048MB instead of 1024MB for like $30 more - is there any major difference? They also have a OC Radeon HD 6950 1024MB for $30 extra...worth the buck?
April 25, 2011 4:01:55 PM

Linghult said:
Ah so 2500K is easier to OC? It costs just $5 so i might as well get that one instead. I've been playing with Geforce card last 10 years - so am abit of a sceptic to it's nemesis. But there aint no performance/sound difference (in general) in the the brands is there?

The RAM isnt much to talk about or? There aint much difference in other brands ( as i understand it the speed of the RAM is whats important - but some people say a 1333 ram works just as well sometimes? )

Much thanks for fast replies! Back to do inventory of the wine cellar...yaay :/ 

Generally speaking, non-k SB CPUs cannot be overclocked. If it's only a $5 difference there, I might come through the computer and slap you if you don't get it. :lol: 

AMD cards are coming out with better drivers...that used to be a big argument for nVidia. Right now, AMD can't be beat when you consider the price/performance aspect at different price points. As far as the 6950s go, spend $30 more on the 2GB version as opposed to an overclocked 1GB card. You can always manually overclock your card. MSI Afterburner is a great, free program (works on non-MSI cards as well). Also, most 2GB 6950s can be modded to unlock the extra shaders.

There really isn't much to talk about when it comes to RAM. 1333 works (P67 default). For a few more $, you can get 1600Mhz. CL9 is fine. We're only talking about maybe 1% difference in performance. Intel does recommend 1.5v. I have 1.65v ram with my 2500k and it is stable.

OCing Sandy Bridge is not like OCing of years past. You don't need "overclockable" ram to get a good stable setting. You just go into the BIOS (EFI) and choose the multiplier, bump the voltage, save, exit, boot to OS, and test for stability and temps. A Hyper 212+ is my recommendation for a cooler.
!