Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Weirdes Problem Ever - Sound

Last response: in Components
Share
July 24, 2011 5:36:21 PM

Hey guys, how are ya'll?

Well, a week ago I went out of home for a little vacation. When I left, my computer was absolutely fine, up and running.
When I came back I realized I have no sound (I have an OnBoard sound chip, Realtek HD Audio Manager, 6 different color jacks).
Automatically, I checked the connections but everything was in place. Restarted. Then the audio manager started to freak out - told me that I unplugged a device then replugged without stopping. funniest thing is that the manager shows that devices are connected to certain color jack whilst they are connected to different color jacks (i.e. my speakers currently connected to the green jack but the manager shows they're connected to the black one, which honestly, I have no clue what it is used for...).
Of course I don't have to mention that I'm not touching the connections. SO I reinstalled the drivers, the manager mobo's drivers. Tried closing the manager's process and try using Windows' drivers but nothing worked. Forgot to mention I saw a BSOD once.

My guess is that the sound chip is dead? In that case, does it mean a new mobo?
If you'll have a solution I'll be the most thankful guy ever.

Thanks in advance.

More about : weirdes problem sound

July 24, 2011 5:48:08 PM

even if your sound chip was dead you wouldnt have to replace the motherboard--you could just add a pci sound card and disable onboard sound in the bios--cheaper and easier than a new motherboard
July 24, 2011 5:51:54 PM

Thanks for the reply, couldn't agree with you more. Didn't think of it :) 
But, do you think it's dead or...?


thanks again!
Related resources
July 24, 2011 5:57:00 PM

have you tried uninstalling and re-installing sound drivers? and restoring it to when the sound worked if you have system restore turned on?
July 24, 2011 5:58:02 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
have you tried uninstalling and re-installing sound drivers? and restoring it to when the sound worked if you have system restore turned on?


yes, tried all these.. Nothing worked.
July 24, 2011 6:00:04 PM

yeah--tried to edit the driver question but it wont let me edit for some reason

do you have a spare hard drive and the means to do a clean install on it? --if it works on clean install then its a software problem
July 24, 2011 6:02:45 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
yeah--tried to edit the driver question but it wont let me edit for some reason

do you have a spare hard drive and the means to do a clean install on it? --if it works on clean install then its a software problem


well, no >.<
Do you know a way to make sure whether it is a hardware problem or a software problem aside of a clean install?
July 24, 2011 6:06:31 PM

not really--if you dont have a spare hard drive but can install windows you could create a 2nd partition and clean install on there --wouldnt have to wipe your windows then
July 24, 2011 11:57:38 PM

OK, calm down people.

The BSOD is the most worrying problem, as that indicates a HW fault. And its VERY unlikey the soundboard on the mobo itself decided to fry. I'd wager bad memory, as it can cause the type of behavior you are seeing. Before doing anything else, run a scan with memtest86 to make sure you didn't lose a stick of RAM.

Seriously, a clean install should always be the LAST option, not the first...
July 25, 2011 12:56:45 PM

gamerk316 said:
OK, calm down people.

The BSOD is the most worrying problem, as that indicates a HW fault. And its VERY unlikey the soundboard on the mobo itself decided to fry. I'd wager bad memory, as it can cause the type of behavior you are seeing. Before doing anything else, run a scan with memtest86 to make sure you didn't lose a stick of RAM.

Seriously, a clean install should always be the LAST option, not the first...



ok going for this one now.
thanks for the reply
!